“Viking River Cruise Imperial Jewels of China”

Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai
Ranked #28 of 5,082 Hotels in Shanghai
Newcastle
“Viking River Cruise Imperial Jewels of China”
Reviewed 17 December 2012

We returned from the above trip of 12 days full of information and memories of a wonderful trip. The Shangr-la hotel was excellent. Lovely rooms and amazing breakfast selection.
The organisation of the whole trip was faultless and the standard of all accommodation was highly luxurious with exemplary standards of service .We started in Shanghai for two days then 5 days up the Yangtze in a lovely river cruise boat, one night in Xian to see pandas, finishing with 2 days in Beijing.
The boat only had about 240 people on it so was small enough not to feel swamped. The food on board was of a very high standard.The company were very well organised with a daily news paper informing us of where we were going the next day and the option of going to a talk on the trips out .
We were assigned a knowledgeable guide for the whole trip. There were 18 people in the group. Our guide Jenna was excellent,looked after us very well and gave us lots of information,sharing her life's experience of growing up in a rapidly developing China. She could not have done more for us.Whenever we needed to change venues our luggage was collected from outside our door, we were taken to the airport and handed our boarding cards.So easy!
We saw so many marvellous sights and Jenna just seemed to bypass any queues so that we did not waste any time. There was an option of buying a drinks package on the boat although house wine and beer are included in the cost of the holiday; you really needed to be a dedicated drinker to do it justice!
I am pleased we did this trip from Shanghai to Beijing rather than the other way round as the first part of the Yangtze was very industrial with chemical factories on the banks. Many barges carrying rubble and chemicals. As we moved up towards the Three Gorges Dam the scenery became more rural and attractive.
Beijing was a good place to end the trip as we were able to see the main highlights of the trip i.e. Terracotta army, The Great Wall and The Forbidden City.
The whole trip was very busy and we were up and out most days by 8am. We would never have seen so many sights in twelve days if this had not been the case
I can not fault The Viking River Cruise company, their organisation, value for money, standards and care made our holiday a really amazing experience

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
30 Thank flyingp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 10 December 2012

This is my 3rd stay at the Pudong Shangri La and I stayed for 9 nights. I actually chose the Shangri La despite Gran Melia being across the road from the office. I was expecting a wonderful stay but the Shang has disappointed me.

Location
The hotel is located next to the Super Brand mall and on the banks of the river. If you get a river facing room there is a great view of the bund (especially at night). There is also easy access to food and shopping which is great when you are tired of room service. I only found out on this trip that there is a public shuttle service (bus no. 1 and it cost just RMB1) that drops you off in front of Super Brand mall. This is great for evenings when the taxi queue seems impossibly long.

Room
The room is basically the same, nothing has really changed. The one thing that made me really disappointed was house keeping. I could see strands of hair in the shower when I arrived, after huge contemplation, i decided to leave it. After 3 nights, I finally washed it off myself. Same with the tub, I've noticed that it is not clean or at least rinsed down even after I've clearly used it. It is the same with the toiletries and general replacement of items. It is done in very haphazard manner. I understand from the housekeeping lady (it was 3pm and she only just started cleaning my room) that she was the only person responsible for the floor.

I think service now lacks the warmth and consideration. I always felt that the Shangri La was different from the large commercial chains, but no longer. The biggest annoyance was trying to get a cab to the airport. The reception insisted that i take a seat as the taxi queue was very long (4 pax in front of me?). He told me to sit in the waiting area as most of the ppl queuing are not hotel customers and he will get me a cab directly. I stressed that I was perfectly fine waiting and i was not in a hurry but he insisted. I sat waiting for 20 mins and finally went back to the taxi queue. The people in front of me earlier were no longer there. I went back into the queue and got into a cab within 5 mins. I understand from the taxi driver that long distance trips were well sort after and the reception was possibly trying to offer a favour to a friend.

I only had room service in the hotel. Quite frankly, after the first breakfast I decided that queuing up at Starbucks in the office building was more satisfying. Breakfast came cold, unappetising and the poached eggs on my eggs benedict was cooked through. There are plenty of surrounding places to eat around there, it is not worth suffering through room service.

I'm headed to Shanghai again in January; I might just forgo my golden circle points and chance it at the Gran Melia.

2 Thank TheChubbs9123
ulfbremer, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
Dear Sir,

I truly appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. In order for us to improve our services, we seek your assistance to kindly contact my email address ulf.bremer@shangri-la.com.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Yours sincerely,

Ulf Bremer
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 7 December 2012 via mobile

Our room had amazing views of the Pudong skyline. Impeccable service, very clean and tastefully-decorated rooms, abundant and delicious world-class cuisine for breakfast and helpful staff - one of them even accompanied me to the Starbucks right around the bend during a coffee run. Now that's what I call personalized service. :)

• Stayed September 2012
USA
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I stayed here for a business conference and the first thing I noticed was the service. While check-in was very slow, the service overall was excellent. It's like they anticipate your need before you do! Everything little puzzled look or hesitation and someone is right there attending to your needs. Absolutely amazing!!!!!

My room was large and had a great view of the Bund! I was on the 8th floor and my colleagues were so jealous of my view. I will say that I expected more from the decor as I found it a little garish and somewhat dated. The carpet could definitely use replacing. For $350/night, I just expected a little better in terms of the decor. Maybe the more expensive rooms looked better.

The there was a high-end mall almost adjacent to the hotel which was very convenient. There was also a grocery store on the lowest level and places to eat on the higher floors. The Hotel is in the financial district so there are a lot of tall buildings, mostly banks, around and not as many restaurants. There more going on on the West side so it's best if you take the metro. There is a stop about a 5 min walk. There's also a McDonald's, Starbucks, and Hagen Daaz near by.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Bund
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 30 November 2012

I stayed again at this hotel and again it lives up to the expectations. Clean, spacy rooms for a reasonable rate, with great, helpful and always smiling personnel. I'll be back on my next trip! Also, the dinner in the sushi and Japanese restaurant were great!

Castle Douglas
Reviewed 22 November 2012

Taken as part of a Viking Cruise Holiday we found this hotel welcoming and comfortable. All meals taken, especially the buffet breakfast, were excellent. Room service too. I had an issue with their ATM which was dealt with by the reception staff with 100% commitment.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheJohnsons2010
Woodland, California
Reviewed 18 November 2012

although rooms may not be brand-new furnished, they are clean and modern and well kept up.
service--there is an attendant at the lobby elevator who pushes the elevator button for you!

breakfast buffet excellent and extensive--wanted to take a picture but thought it would be crass.

near the river; can walk to the riverside.
Bund across the river.