Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai
Ranked #29 of 5,160 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 31 December 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 4 days with my own family and my sister's family. My niece is eight years old and is highly allergic to peanut . For this reason,my sister is very reluctant to visit China as peanut oil is very commonly used in most cooking. Hence I emailed to many 5 star hotels beforehand and enquired which cooking oil is used. Shangrila was the only hotel that gave me a very positive and reassuring response that soy bean oil is used throughout the restaurants. The assistant director of food and beverage manager wrote to me on several occasions, the chef answered my questions through emails and on my arrival, they even came to greet us at the lobby. We stayed at the Horizon deluxe room at the grand tower and spent all of our meals at the club lounge. We were greeted by the chef again at the lounge and was provided with special meals made especially for my niece. During our visit to Yi Cafe where we had buffet dinner, the head chef of Yi Cafe took us around the restaurant and introduced to us what meals could be taken and not taken by my niece. We were so impressed with this arrangement ! This is really six stars service and attention. My niece could relax and enjoy all the meals provided by the hotel. The food was very tasty too. My sister would definitely choose Shangrila again for future trips to China. Thank you Shangrila and especially to all the chef we met and Mr Leonardo Morales, the assistance director of food and beverage of Pudong Shangrila. Wonderful six star service !

Room Tip: any horizon room
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,317)

Reviewed 30 December 2012

Arrived at the hotel 1 day earlier than a planned tour and so booked the first night directly online and the following two nights as the first part of a Viking River Tour itinerary. The tour obviously paid for less expensive rooms, but even the standard room to which we moved after the first night was very nice - first rate. The first night was in a Horizon Club room. The room itself was spectacular, with all one would expect from a luxury hotel, and it had great views of the river and Bund. Having access to the Horizon Club was definitely a plus - the club offers a large selection of food and drinks with personal service from the club wait staff. Although the afternoon/evening food is intended to be Hors d'oeuvres you can easily make a meal out of the variety of Asian and other international food choices. We were able to access the club 2 of the 3 days we were there and the staff was incredibly attentive.
Through the stay we had a front desk clerk named Jackson who helped make the stay much nicer. He was able to get better room locations than we would have had otherwise and personally helped move us from one room to the next. He tried to keep us in the club level room, but even with his best discount offer, it was quite steep to stay there 2 more nights. Of the 3 hotels we stayed during 2 weeks in China, this hotel had by far the best service, food and amenities. The standard buffet breakfast includes food stations from all over the world so that anyone can no doubt find food to their liking and lots of it.
To get to the hotel from the airport, we chose to take the Maglev train from the airport then transferred to Metro Line 2. It was all very easy except from the last metro stop to the hotel. It's actually pretty close, but with all the hotels and tall buildings in that area, it took about 30 minutes to get to the lobby when it probably should have taken about 5 with better directions. I would recommend experienced travelers try this because of the Maglev experience(430km/hr) and the 9 minutes to get to the city rather than the 45 by Taxi. You can also take a Taxi to the hotel once you reach the city center, especially if you have a lot of luggage with you.

Room Tip: River views are best, but you can see good views even if you don't have a "full on" vi...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2012

I had decided that when it was time to leave Shanghai for good and return to my homecountry, I wanted to spend my last night in a proper hotel. There are plenty of excellent hotels in Shanghai, but the Pudong Shangri-la has always been close to my heart.

I decided to go for a Horizon premier room with Bund view, and it was a good choice. The room is of good size, with a kingsize bed and ample space for a sofa and coffee table. The interior in the room as well as the bathroom was rich and elegant, just as you would expect it to be. The full-on view of The Bund and Puxi is spectacular and impressive.

The staff was showing top class service from check-in and throughout my stay.

As I was staying on the Executive floors, I had free use of the Horizon lounge. Breakfast is served in the lounge and it is also a good place for informal coffee meetings.

The hotel has several excellent restaurants, a small shopping arcade as well as a nightclub on the top floor of the Grand Tower.

I can highly recommend this hotel to business people and anyone else who'd like that extra touch of class while staying in Shanghai.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 December 2012

Stayed here for 1 night with my husband in late october and was disappointed with the service. It was a beautiful Hotel and had beautiful views.
I had rooms service and breakfast in the room - but was not happy with the attitudes of the staff. Some of them looked tired as it was very busy.
Overall I would probably try again to see is it has improved as the views were worth coming back for.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer l
ulfbremer, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2013

Dear Ms. Jennifer I,

Belated Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year 2013 to you and your family!

Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay in our hotel. We apologize that we have not met your expectations in our service delivery. In order for us to improve, we would like to find out more details from you. Please assist us by contacting me at slpu@shangri-la.com or call me at +86-21- 2828 6002.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Yours sincerely

Ulf Bremer

Reviewed 20 December 2012

The Pudong Shangri-La is located right on the river close to Pearl Tower, across from the Bund. Like all Shangri-La's , the lobby is large , luxurious and impressive. The rooms are comfortable and impeccable. The Horizon club on the 21st floor makes it very comfortable to have breakfast and drinks in the afternoon with beautiful river and Bund views.

I prefer to stay in the "old" tower with Bund views, but there is the option of the new tower that faces the ever-changing Pudong skyline. It's very convenient to the Shanghai metro, just a short walk away. There is the large Super Brand Mall right next door and now another luxury brand mall right across.

If you're going to Shanghai to any expo, it's much more convenient to stay in Pudong than in the city proper because you then avoid the tunnels and traffic to go back and forth to the trade fair site. The metro is another VERY convenient way to get around Shanghai.

Room Tip: Face the Bund for great night-lit views of Shanghai. Try the Horizon Club for private lunge access...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 December 2012

We returned from the above trip of 12 days full of information and memories of a wonderful trip. The Shangr-la hotel was excellent. Lovely rooms and amazing breakfast selection.
The organisation of the whole trip was faultless and the standard of all accommodation was highly luxurious with exemplary standards of service .We started in Shanghai for two days then 5 days up the Yangtze in a lovely river cruise boat, one night in Xian to see pandas, finishing with 2 days in Beijing.
The boat only had about 240 people on it so was small enough not to feel swamped. The food on board was of a very high standard.The company were very well organised with a daily news paper informing us of where we were going the next day and the option of going to a talk on the trips out .
We were assigned a knowledgeable guide for the whole trip. There were 18 people in the group. Our guide Jenna was excellent,looked after us very well and gave us lots of information,sharing her life's experience of growing up in a rapidly developing China. She could not have done more for us.Whenever we needed to change venues our luggage was collected from outside our door, we were taken to the airport and handed our boarding cards.So easy!
We saw so many marvellous sights and Jenna just seemed to bypass any queues so that we did not waste any time. There was an option of buying a drinks package on the boat although house wine and beer are included in the cost of the holiday; you really needed to be a dedicated drinker to do it justice!
I am pleased we did this trip from Shanghai to Beijing rather than the other way round as the first part of the Yangtze was very industrial with chemical factories on the banks. Many barges carrying rubble and chemicals. As we moved up towards the Three Gorges Dam the scenery became more rural and attractive.
Beijing was a good place to end the trip as we were able to see the main highlights of the trip i.e. Terracotta army, The Great Wall and The Forbidden City.
The whole trip was very busy and we were up and out most days by 8am. We would never have seen so many sights in twelve days if this had not been the case
I can not fault The Viking River Cruise company, their organisation, value for money, standards and care made our holiday a really amazing experience

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
30  Thank flyingp
Reviewed 10 December 2012

This is my 3rd stay at the Pudong Shangri La and I stayed for 9 nights. I actually chose the Shangri La despite Gran Melia being across the road from the office. I was expecting a wonderful stay but the Shang has disappointed me.

Location
The hotel is located next to the Super Brand mall and on the banks of the river. If you get a river facing room there is a great view of the bund (especially at night). There is also easy access to food and shopping which is great when you are tired of room service. I only found out on this trip that there is a public shuttle service (bus no. 1 and it cost just RMB1) that drops you off in front of Super Brand mall. This is great for evenings when the taxi queue seems impossibly long.

Room
The room is basically the same, nothing has really changed. The one thing that made me really disappointed was house keeping. I could see strands of hair in the shower when I arrived, after huge contemplation, i decided to leave it. After 3 nights, I finally washed it off myself. Same with the tub, I've noticed that it is not clean or at least rinsed down even after I've clearly used it. It is the same with the toiletries and general replacement of items. It is done in very haphazard manner. I understand from the housekeeping lady (it was 3pm and she only just started cleaning my room) that she was the only person responsible for the floor.

I think service now lacks the warmth and consideration. I always felt that the Shangri La was different from the large commercial chains, but no longer. The biggest annoyance was trying to get a cab to the airport. The reception insisted that i take a seat as the taxi queue was very long (4 pax in front of me?). He told me to sit in the waiting area as most of the ppl queuing are not hotel customers and he will get me a cab directly. I stressed that I was perfectly fine waiting and i was not in a hurry but he insisted. I sat waiting for 20 mins and finally went back to the taxi queue. The people in front of me earlier were no longer there. I went back into the queue and got into a cab within 5 mins. I understand from the taxi driver that long distance trips were well sort after and the reception was possibly trying to offer a favour to a friend.

I only had room service in the hotel. Quite frankly, after the first breakfast I decided that queuing up at Starbucks in the office building was more satisfying. Breakfast came cold, unappetising and the poached eggs on my eggs benedict was cooked through. There are plenty of surrounding places to eat around there, it is not worth suffering through room service.

I'm headed to Shanghai again in January; I might just forgo my golden circle points and chance it at the Gran Melia.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank TheChubbs9123
ulfbremer, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2013

Dear Sir,

I truly appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. In order for us to improve our services, we seek your assistance to kindly contact my email address ulf.bremer@shangri-la.com.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Yours sincerely,