“Shangri-La consistency”

Ranked #25 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Kuala Lumpur
“Shangri-La consistency”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

This is my 3rd stay at Shangri-La Pudong and this is a hotel that I would definitely return to. Shangri-La generally maintains the standards and most of their hotels are consistently well kept and run in most parts of the world. This time I had the opportunity to stay in the newer wing and the rooms are much nicer.

This hotel is in the heart of Pudong area and a short taxi ride takes you to the Bund or 10-15 minutes away to the Science Center where there is a fake market underground with thousands of stalls.

If you are in Shanghai, do not miss having lunch or dinner at the Fuk Lam Moon restaurant. The cantonese food here is one of the best in Asia. The breakfast spread of this hotel is also one of the best with so many varieties of food and choices.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013

The hotel lobby was large expansive - it felt like I was staying in a high end shopping mall. The room was average - nothing to write home about.

The hostess at Yi cafe acted as if she were doing me a favor by answering question on breakfast. Not a good start. But it turned out that she was the only one. Other hostesses at the other restaurants were more hospitable.

In catching a cab, there is a taxi queue, however, it is not well controlled. There was confusion on who was supposed to be next in line for cab.

The hotel is located next to the SuperBrands Mall - We are talking HUGE mall -- local restaurants are found on each of the floors.

You are in walking distance to the Orient Pearl TV tower and the aquarium.
Overall - nice, but don’t understand why this is a top hotel in many categories, particularly the room.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
ulfbremer, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this review, 2 January 2013
Dear Mr. tomdnc,

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. I am delighted that you hold such high regards for the Shangri-La brand which brings about the high expectations that one would have for an international hotel such as the Pudong Shangri-La.

It is with great concern that I read of your comments about our hotel and would very much like to discuss your experiences with you personally. Guest's feedbacks are of utmost importance to us and we would like to know more about your experience as it is our desire to review and take corrective measures accordingly if we have performed with shortcomings.

May I take this opportunity to kindly invite you to contact me at slpu@shangri-la.com or call me at +86-21-68828888.

Hopefully your travels will bring you back to Shanghai again soon!

Yours sincerely,
Ulf Bremer
hong kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 4 days with my own family and my sister's family. My niece is eight years old and is highly allergic to peanut . For this reason,my sister is very reluctant to visit China as peanut oil is very commonly used in most cooking. Hence I emailed to many 5 star hotels beforehand and enquired which cooking oil is used. Shangrila was the only hotel that gave me a very positive and reassuring response that soy bean oil is used throughout the restaurants. The assistant director of food and beverage manager wrote to me on several occasions, the chef answered my questions through emails and on my arrival, they even came to greet us at the lobby. We stayed at the Horizon deluxe room at the grand tower and spent all of our meals at the club lounge. We were greeted by the chef again at the lounge and was provided with special meals made especially for my niece. During our visit to Yi Cafe where we had buffet dinner, the head chef of Yi Cafe took us around the restaurant and introduced to us what meals could be taken and not taken by my niece. We were so impressed with this arrangement ! This is really six stars service and attention. My niece could relax and enjoy all the meals provided by the hotel. The food was very tasty too. My sister would definitely choose Shangrila again for future trips to China. Thank you Shangrila and especially to all the chef we met and Mr Leonardo Morales, the assistance director of food and beverage of Pudong Shangrila. Wonderful six star service !

Room Tip: any horizon room
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

Arrived at the hotel 1 day earlier than a planned tour and so booked the first night directly online and the following two nights as the first part of a Viking River Tour itinerary. The tour obviously paid for less expensive rooms, but even the standard room to which we moved after the first night was very nice - first rate. The first night was in a Horizon Club room. The room itself was spectacular, with all one would expect from a luxury hotel, and it had great views of the river and Bund. Having access to the Horizon Club was definitely a plus - the club offers a large selection of food and drinks with personal service from the club wait staff. Although the afternoon/evening food is intended to be Hors d'oeuvres you can easily make a meal out of the variety of Asian and other international food choices. We were able to access the club 2 of the 3 days we were there and the staff was incredibly attentive.
Through the stay we had a front desk clerk named Jackson who helped make the stay much nicer. He was able to get better room locations than we would have had otherwise and personally helped move us from one room to the next. He tried to keep us in the club level room, but even with his best discount offer, it was quite steep to stay there 2 more nights. Of the 3 hotels we stayed during 2 weeks in China, this hotel had by far the best service, food and amenities. The standard buffet breakfast includes food stations from all over the world so that anyone can no doubt find food to their liking and lots of it.
To get to the hotel from the airport, we chose to take the Maglev train from the airport then transferred to Metro Line 2. It was all very easy except from the last metro stop to the hotel. It's actually pretty close, but with all the hotels and tall buildings in that area, it took about 30 minutes to get to the lobby when it probably should have taken about 5 with better directions. I would recommend experienced travelers try this because of the Maglev experience(430km/hr) and the 9 minutes to get to the city rather than the 45 by Taxi. You can also take a Taxi to the hotel once you reach the city center, especially if you have a lot of luggage with you.

Room Tip: River views are best, but you can see good views even if you don't have a "full on" vi...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Larvik, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2012 via mobile

I had decided that when it was time to leave Shanghai for good and return to my homecountry, I wanted to spend my last night in a proper hotel. There are plenty of excellent hotels in Shanghai, but the Pudong Shangri-la has always been close to my heart.

I decided to go for a Horizon premier room with Bund view, and it was a good choice. The room is of good size, with a kingsize bed and ample space for a sofa and coffee table. The interior in the room as well as the bathroom was rich and elegant, just as you would expect it to be. The full-on view of The Bund and Puxi is spectacular and impressive.

The staff was showing top class service from check-in and throughout my stay.

As I was staying on the Executive floors, I had free use of the Horizon lounge. Breakfast is served in the lounge and it is also a good place for informal coffee meetings.

The hotel has several excellent restaurants, a small shopping arcade as well as a nightclub on the top floor of the Grand Tower.

I can highly recommend this hotel to business people and anyone else who'd like that extra touch of class while staying in Shanghai.

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2012

Stayed here for 1 night with my husband in late october and was disappointed with the service. It was a beautiful Hotel and had beautiful views.
I had rooms service and breakfast in the room - but was not happy with the attitudes of the staff. Some of them looked tired as it was very busy.
Overall I would probably try again to see is it has improved as the views were worth coming back for.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer l
Dear Ms. Jennifer I,

Belated Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year 2013 to you and your family!

Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay in our hotel. We apologize that we have not met your expectations in our service delivery. In order for us to improve, we would like to find out more details from you. Please assist us by contacting me at slpu@shangri-la.com or call me at +86-21- 2828 6002.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Yours sincerely

Ulf Bremer
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012

The Pudong Shangri-La is located right on the river close to Pearl Tower, across from the Bund. Like all Shangri-La's , the lobby is large , luxurious and impressive. The rooms are comfortable and impeccable. The Horizon club on the 21st floor makes it very comfortable to have breakfast and drinks in the afternoon with beautiful river and Bund views.

I prefer to stay in the "old" tower with Bund views, but there is the option of the new tower that faces the ever-changing Pudong skyline. It's very convenient to the Shanghai metro, just a short walk away. There is the large Super Brand Mall right next door and now another luxury brand mall right across.

If you're going to Shanghai to any expo, it's much more convenient to stay in Pudong than in the city proper because you then avoid the tunnels and traffic to go back and forth to the trade fair site. The metro is another VERY convenient way to get around Shanghai.

Room Tip: Face the Bund for great night-lit views of Shanghai. Try the Horizon Club for private lunge access...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business