“Excellent hotel in China”

Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai
Ranked #29 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Haifa, Israel
“Excellent hotel in China”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Wonderful hotel in Shanghai. Clean, spacious, wonderful staff and delicious food!!! It's my favourit hotel in Shanghai. This is my 4th time in this hotel, and they always manage to exhale and surprize me!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Peter C, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Dear ns0404,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you visit to Shanghai. I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor . Thank you for continuing to make us your hotel address while visiting Shanghai, I really appreciate your loyalty to our hotel and I am delighted our team continues to surprise and delight you with our service.I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Peter Clarke,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed from 26 to 28 February and was in town for business meeting. I stayed in this hotel numerous times over many years. It is still a great hotel and the room(2308) that I am in shows no signs of ageing at all.

I took the hotel transfer from airport because is winter. I noticed the driver that picks me up is not a shangrila employee and his driving is some what too fast for my liking. Perhaps, management should look into this.

I went to the Yi cafe for a late lunch around 3 pm on 27 Feb....because of my unusual timing for lunch....I do not have many choices. The food serving is very slow and I ended up waited for almost 45 mins before my wonton noodle soup is brought to me. The restaurant manager is very nice to apologize for the long wait and my food was on the house. Great service recovery.

My return transfer to airport is much smoother. Overall, this is a great business hotel.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank cokezero100
Dear cokezero100,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you recent visit to Shanghai. I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled that overall you loved your stay with us. I am sorry about the late arrival of your lunch and I am delight our manager did the right thing for recovery, I will also review the arrival car and seek improvements based on your comment. As a seasoned traveller I really appreciate your comments. I do hope we have another opportunity in the future to welcome you back to the Pudong Shangri-La.

Chengdu, China
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I have stayed here before and this is my second visit. Good for restaurants and the view. Staff a bit aloof. Pudong is not convenient for taxis but I was lucky and nearby there is a lot that you can do.

Bud views are exceptionally nice during good weather but I was not lucky due to the fog and rain.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DannyL1970
Dear DannyL 1970,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you recent visit to Shanghai. I do appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that overall you enjoyed our hotel. We do offer the best vies of the bund in the city, it is a pity the weather was not so great during your visit.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Pudong Shangri-La in the near future so you can have another opportunity to soak up the amazing views.

Beijing
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I had great stay with my family, although it was short but very comfortable with home feeling away from home. Staffs are outstanding and take very iniciative to go out of their box to make our stay great! This is the place that you should stay while visit Shanghai. The hotel location is the best of the best in Shanghai. I have stayed with lots of other brand hotels like Westin, InterContinental, Sheraton, St' Regis and so on, not many of them can actually compare with the services from Shangri-La not only Pudong but also other Shangri-La hotels in the world.
Thank you!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

2 Thank Shenyu H
Peter C, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Shenyu H,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel again for you recent visit to Shanghai. I do appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled enjoyed our wonderful hotel and enjoyed our outstanding team, thank you for highlighting them. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014

A friend and I stayed here for a short break and were, as always, delighted with the unfailing Shangri La hospitality. Unfortunately, we booked too late to get rooms on the Horizon floor but our standard rooms were luxurious and didn't disappoint.

Having been unlucky with the wet and windy weather on our arrival from Hong Kong, we settled down for a Spa / pool session to begin with and so started our tour of the city refreshed and relaxed. The Spa is fabulous and a great experience; the pool is very inviting and the fitness room well equipped. Being in the Pudong business district, the hotel is a short ride from the main city but there is plenty to compensate for that.

The hotel Cafe provides the usual tempting Shangri La style buffet meal throughout the day, with numerous international cooking stations. Breakfast time can be very hectic, but the efficient waiting staff remain in control of proceedings! At dinner, for a very modest supplement, you can choose from a list of excellent wines as part of the deal. One evening, we opted for the gourmet Chinese restaurant and enjoyed one of the best meals of its kind we've had in 3 years in Asia.

The spectacle of the city lights from the restaurants is truly engaging and it's great to walk along the river during the day, with the famous view across to the Bund. Looking forward to going back again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Asiatravelhopper
Dear Asiatravelhopper,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you recent visit to Shanghai. I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled you loved your stay, we do offer some of the best views in the city and our restaurant offerings are unmatched in the city. AS a seasoned traveller I really appreciate your comments.

I do hope we have an opportunity in the future to welcome you back to the Pudong Shangri-La.

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Over the years I have stayed at numerous hotels all over the world - business hotels as well as holiday resorts. What I can say about the Pudong Shangri La is that it has set the standard for all other hotels, and none have been able to meet this standard.

For over 10 years I have been staying there, typically at the River Wing with a view of the Bund. That by itself is a wonderful experience.

The rooms are wonderful - arrangement, colours, furniture - absolutely great. I can truly say I feel like at home.

The Horizon Club (River Wing) is another wonderful experience I can only recommend. The staff is absolutely attentive and friendly. The snacks and breakfast offered fabulous.

Favoring the Pudong side over the Puxi side, the hotel is located in the heart of Pudong. Many shops around sight seeing can be easily arranged by means of taxi.

A hotel I can only recommend and which truy deserves all credits!

Room Tip: The BUND VIEW ROOMS are an absolute must - in particular at night
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Oliver K
Peter C, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear Oliver K

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you recent visit to Shanghai. I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled you have been a loyal guest for the past 10 years, you must make yourself known to me on your next trip. I would love to meet you . I do hope we have another opportunity in the future to welcome you back to the Pudong Shangri-La.

Shanghai
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Stayed for a stay-cation/birthday treat over Chinese New Year and enjoyed it so much we stayed for an extra day. We stayed in the Bund view Horizon Club room in the Tower. The Club staff were extremely helpful from top to bottom. We even got seating advice for our next trip to Vancouver!
We like it so much that we are returning. They can even arrange a Rolls Royce for airport pickup.

Room Tip: The Bund view rooms offer wonderful views but most in the Tower have good views regardless based on...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank IM4SATB
Dear IM4SATB

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you recent visit to Shanghai. I do appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled that overall you enjoyed our hotel,and extended for an additional night, the best compliment we could get. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Pudong Shangri-La and I hope the advise for the Vancouver Trip was useful. We have a beautiful Shangri-La Hotel there also.