“Complete luxury for a reasonable price”

Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai
Ranked #29 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
“Complete luxury for a reasonable price”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I have been at this place several times, and I always arrive at the same conclusion: One of the best hotels I have ever stayed. And this is for a price which is absolutely affordable. This hotel can actually be one of the reasons to visit Shanghai, and if I were forced to name only one reason for that, then it would be the breakfast, beyond all other great aspects (as e.g. the location itself). And then, just on the unique breakfast, I actually do have an improvement proposal: Add Nutella to the buffet, please .... :-)

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Peter C, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Jagelowsk,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel again for you recent return visit to Shanghai. As a Contributor and frequent guest I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled you continue to enjoy our wonderful hotel and especially our amazing breakfast "spread", I will see what I can do about the Nutella spread also.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Shanghai in the near future. I do hope you will make yourself known to be on your next visit so we can ensure we always have Nutella in stock for you.

Peter Clarke,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
singapore
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I was given a room with a view of the bund. room is spacious and big with all you need. Breakfast spread was good with a lot of choices. Near to Super Brand Mall for shopping, Pearl Tower and metro station is about 8 mins away. overall experience is ok.

Dear LydiaSingapore,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you visit to Shanghai. I really appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor . I also appreciate your positive feedback about your stay and that you found our location very central and convenient to your needs. I am thrilled you had a great stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 15 March 2014

First class Business Hotel int he heart of Shanghai's financial district, but with all the Shangri La extra trimmings. Cant be faulted.

Always stay here n Business, but ideally located for vacation with lots of shopping malls and restaurants within walking distance

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Peter C, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear English_Expat_Family,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel again for you recent return trip to Shanghai. As a Top Contributor I really appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled that you loved your stay with us. I am very happy to learn that you enjoyed not only our location but our world class service. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Hotel was fine generally until I got food poisoning from room service. Response from management was - sending the nurse round in the morning and promising to follow up. Nothing initiated from management and I had to call to find out. Report was supposed to be sent to me to identify if there was anything in the food samples. It's been 2 months and nada. Poorly managed all round. A pity

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Ann K
Dear Ann K,

Please accept my apologies regarding the way your illness was handled by the team. It is quite unsettling being away form ones own home comfort when not feeling well, regardless of the situation and our team are usually much more sensitive to a guest who is not feeling well. I was made aware of the situation around the time of the case and was informed that everything was followed up on and I am sorry to learn that was not the case. I am happy to discuss this further with you and you can contact me at peter.clarke@shangri-la.com.

Sincerly,

Peter Clarke
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Having lived in Shanghai a year ago, I had enjoyed a few nights in the Shangri-la's bar on the 36th floor - a great place to catch a drink while viewing the Bund. It is a great place to grab a pre or post dinner drink.

Finally got to stay at the hotel and was just as impressed with the experience. Concierge is super helpful - made dinner reservations for several nights, and tracked down bubble wrap and packing tape to help me box up delicate purchases for taking home on the plane.

Beds are comfortable and at least 4 bottles of water are provided a night. Only dislike was breakfast at 262 RMB (appx $46 US) is way to expensive for grabbing a quick bite in the morning. Walk over to the IFC Mall to Baker & Spice for a quick breakfast including coffee and smoothies. Also can grab healthy food to go from Baker & Spice to take on your plane ride home; my chicken avocado mango salad was still good after sitting 8 hours.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Bund
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Peter C, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear GHamp23,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel again for you recent return visit to Shanghai. As a Top Contributor I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled enjoyed our wonderful hotel, the service from our concierge team and our excellent views of the bund, especially from our Bar and Restaurant on the 36th floor.

Regarding your breakfast comment, we have other breakfast options available including our Gourmet Cafe on the ground floor that has a wide variety of options for Breakfast and tasty inexpensive salads to go also, I hope you try them out next time, you wont be disappointed with our quality or value for money.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Shanghai in the near future.

Shanghai, China
Reviewed 9 March 2014

3day stay with friend at the Pudong Shangri-La East Shanghai. I have to say,the service is excellent. My friend was impressed by the birthday gift-Zodia Chocolate and the bund view. The Horizon staff greeted us by name and said happy birthday to my friend. What a surprise!

Room Tip: Rooms with Bund view
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Vanessa T
Peter C, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Dear Vanessa T,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you visit to Shanghai. I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor . I really appreciate your positive feedback about your stay and I am happy we recognized your friends birthday celebration. I am thrilled you had a wonderful stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back (perhaps for you birthday) in the near future.

Novi, Michigan
Reviewed 7 March 2014

7 day business stay at the Pudong Shangri-La East with access to the Horizon Lounge. If you have stayed here before try it again, recent changes in leadership have made this one of the best experiences in Shanghai. The location on the river is excellent and the staff has really brought up their game from my last stay. Yi Cafe continues to be a highlight with great food and wonderful service. Great value.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

2 Thank Robert W
Dear Robert W,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you recent visit to Shanghai. I do appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you loved our hotel and I appreciate your vote of confidence in my management team. I'm delighted you had another great Yi Cafe experience and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back on a future visit.