“Great views, service and rooms”

Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai
Ranked #25 of 5,222 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed on both towers of the hotel. I must say I loved the older tower though. It had more soul. The lounge was better and bigger with nicer views of the river. The other lounge is nice too and has views of the Jin Mao Tower and the new tallest building coming up. Service is so good for such a big hotel with so many things going on. I was attending a conference held at the hotel. There is a mall across the road. No direct link though but you have to cross a small road - Super Brand Mall. And then there is a high end one across which is linked to Ritz Carlton hotel - IFC Mall. It's easy to go across and take morning jog along the river.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank kkn889
Peter C, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear kkn889,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel again for you recent return visit to Shanghai. I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled you enjoyed our Hotel and our service staff so much, thank you for the wonderful rating. I am delighted you experienced so many of our services including BOTH our towers they are truly 2 very different ( but equally impressive) experiences . The views from the River Wing are more spectacular of the HuagnPu River and the Bund due to the proximity to the river.

Peter Clarke,

Write a ReviewReviews (3,406)

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Stayed here recently and would recommend to anyone wanting to stay close to the river on the Pudong side. Close to great shopping malls and easy access to the ferry accross the river. Nice big comfortable bed.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Natalie G

Dear Natalie G

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for your visit to Shanghai. I really appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am also delighted you had a great overall experience. I appreciate your comments on our location and I must admit I think the Ferry crossing is a great way to see the Bund from a very unique angle, thank you for mentioning that.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Pudong Shangri-La in the near future.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Great service, excellent food and good location. Pay the extra for use of the Horizon Club, well worth it. Helpful staff, excellent Health Spa. Generous, delicious, varied breakfasts. Justifies its five stars. All our requests and queries were dealt with courteously and promptly. Decor and outside environment perhaps slightly tired. Comfortable beds and quiet rooms

Room Tip: We found that the deluxe rooms in the River Tower were better than upgraded rooms in the Grand Tower...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jan F
Peter C, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Jan F,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel again for you recent return visit to Shanghai. I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled you loved our Hotel and our service staff so much, thank you for the wonderful rating. I am delighted you experienced so many of our services including our excellent Chi Spa and also our Horizon Club Lounge and even our comfortable beds. Indeed the views from the River Wing are spectacular of the HuagnPu River and the Bund.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I stayed in Pudong Shangri-la in September 2013. I am a big Shangri la fan and try to ensure I stay with SL whenever I am in Asia. Hotels are generally luxurious so great for personal travel. On this occasion I stayed for business and I have outlined pluses and minuses - to summarise, I had a couple of service points which let it down for me but they seemed unusual and my colleague had no such experience. I have given it a 4 still as hotel is very good - the service things knocked the point off.

Pluses were:
+ Location - excellent location close to office and on the river
+ Some great staff and service
+ Free wifi
+ Characteristic AWESOME SL Breakfast
+ Room upgrade (higher floor)
+ Room quite good - usual SL style, marble bathroom etc.

The points which let it down for me where:
- Room upgrade was a smoking room - they did let me know this before offering it to me so it was my choice. The smell of the room was overpowering!
- Some service mess ups specifically:
- colleague left phone in room and left China, left with reception for me to collect, reception left me a message and then I had a drama collecting it with reception tell me I needed to prove she had asked to to collect it - bear in mind reception called me to collect it. It was a bit embarassing and a time waste
- breakfast - I have no idea what happened with breakfast. Some days it was included, some days it wasn't. On the fith day it seemed to no longer be included - the restaurant manager told me not to worry and they would sort it out. I still have no idea what was going on here - on review my rate said it wasn't included so sounds like I had a couple of free breakfasts which is nice. However, it was like a breakfast lottery every day and it should be a basic thing for a hotel to nail.
- Pool area average

Room Tip: High floor, river facing - don't go for smoking!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Kricho

Dear Kricho,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for your visit to Shanghai. As a Top Contributor I really appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am also delighted you had a very good experience overall. I appreciate your comments on the Breakfast, and how wonderful the selection, however I also note the billing and will make were we correct this type of communication. I am glad you were able to retrieve your Colleague's phone and again I will address the communication issue. Thank you so much for your other kind comments regarding the room, location and Free wifi.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

A very nice hotel with excellent rooms and very decent and polite and helpful crethe food in the yi cafe is more than excellent with a wide range of variety
I would repeat my experience
Only suggest that the prices are some how decreased

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Peter C, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Dear AShokry,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for your visit to Shanghai. I really appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am delighted you had an excellent experience and in particular your delight with Yi Cafe, it truly is an amazing choice of cuisines.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Business trip for week in Shanghai.
Everything from Limo from airport, check in, service, restaurants, leisure facilities and overall attention to detail ensured a seamless and stress free visit.
Not cheap but better than London / NY / Paris when comparing service levels and location.
Highly recommended and will return when next in central Shanghai.

Room Tip: Stay in the Grand Tower and use executive lounge. Great views and service.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Minimcmahon,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel again for you recent return visit to Shanghai. I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor you were our 2,000th Review Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!! . I am thrilled you loved our Hotel and our service staff so much, thank you for the excellent rating.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights, I have previously stayed at the Grand Hyatt over the raod and this compared pretty well.
Service throughout was excellent, very helpful but not intrusive.
The room was OK, I stayed in the Gardens wing so did not get particulaly great veiws. The room decor was a bit dowdy but was a decent size.
The restruants were very good and the brakfast was great, a massive selection and very well presented.
As a guest in the Gardens wing you can still use the Gym and pool in the Tower section, I reeccomend you do this as the Gym inthe Tower is much better and has a good size 25m pool for laps right next to it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Peter C, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear m s,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you recent visit to Shanghai. I do appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled you had a great stay, both towers offer exceptional views, however you do need to specify a River or Bund view when booking a River Wing Room. I am glad you enjoyed our breakfast experience and also had a good workout and swim. I hope we have more opportunities to welcome you back in the near future.