“Descent hotel, but poor experience nevertheless”

Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai
Ranked #28 of 5,206 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Stayed here a couple of times. It has a nice lobby with reasonably friendly staff. All things are as you should expect from a shangri-la hotel. Nothing stands out though.

However,

Last time i stayed there i found a couple of thick black hairs under my pillow. This was the first night of my stay. I'm talking 30cm long and maybe 10 to 15 pieces. That's quite a lot in my opinion and should not be missed by housecleaning. I really hate seeing that as i was just about to sleep. Then suddenly you think they haven't cleaned the rest and god knows what people do in hotel beds. Hygiene is important. Keep in mind i was travelling alone for business and my hair was exactly 1 cm short. I'm really not capable growing such long hair anymore and it shows :)

After showing the hair, the staff kind of insinuates that it must come from myself and definitely not from them. Really? What a nice way of dealing with such an issue. I was polite but really insist they should do something about it. They just apologise in the smallest possible way and that's all. They really don't care about it. Not important to them.

I can forgive the hair being there. We are all human and everybody makes mistakes. But i cannot accept they way they deal with a problem.

After that, the staff never mentioned this again. No apologies worth something. No personal contact during my 5 day stay. Such a waste of money and time. Would not recommend. There are better hotels in the area. for ex. the InterContinental or Hyatt

Room Tip: Higher rooms have impressive views.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Filip H
Sherryn_Bates, Director of Sales & Marketing at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Dear Filip H,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you recent visit to Shanghai. I do appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am very sorry that your stay was not up to your expectations. As a frequent and global traveler I really do appreciate your comments. I really do apologize for not living up to our reputation. As you know we have worked hard to build our excellent reputation through positive word of mouth and clearly we failed to meet our standard for your stay.

I do hope that you give us another chance to prove to you we are worthy of all the great comments we receive on Trip Advisor daily. Please do let me know directly at sherryn.bates@shangri-la.com if your travels bring you back to Shanghai, I will ensure that you leave with a renewed confidence in our hotel and the team here.

Sherryn Bates
Director of Sales & Marketing

Write a ReviewReviews (3,376)

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Not particularly friendly check in or check out. Only one person at front desk for check out and other employes standing around doing nothing.
Room was above average decor-wise but looking a bit tired - soiled upholstered furniture, towel bar coming off wall, lighting system would turn all the lights in the room off and on randomly.
Upon check out the clerk did not bother to ask how was my stay. Not one of the top Shanghai hotels in my book.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank KL-XVIII
Sherryn_Bates, Director of Sales at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear KL-XVIII,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you recent visit to Shanghai. I do appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am very sorry that your stay was not up to standards or expectation. As a very frequent traveler I really do appreciate your comments. Pudong Shangri-La has long since gained its reputation through positive word of mouth and recently as the hotel with the highest amounts of Excellent ratings in all of Shanghai, I am sorry we fell short on your stay.

Sherryn Bates
Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful old world styled hotel with incredible service and style. We were upgraded to a room with a view of the Bund which was a total treat. The buffet breakfast was the best I have ever had. If you need to stay on the Pudong side of Shanghai and want a 5 star hotel, this is it

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Lattemum
Peter C, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Lattemum,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you recent visit to Shanghai. I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you had an amazing stay with us and enjoyed our amazing breakfast spread also. Thank you for posting the wonderful view from your room, a picture tells a thousand words. We are so fortunate to have the best views in Shanghai.

I am thrilled that you has such wonderful stay and I hope to welcome you come back soon.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I recently stayed for one night at the Shangri-la East Shanghai and had a very good stay. The room was on one of the higher floors, had an excellent desk on which I could set up my computer etc and work. The rooms are clean, spacious and what you would expect from a big chain hotel.

The location is very good, right in the middle of things with loads of restaurants, shops etc nearby.

The breakfast was absolutely amazing, have never seen such a big selection of items and everything was fresh and delicious. Very good staff, all friendly and willing to help in any way they could. I also used the gym – it is small but well equipped and has a great view across the river.

All in all, an excellent hotel in a great location, I hope to stay again on my return to Shanghai.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Luke300
Peter C, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Luke300

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you recent visit to Shanghai. As a Senior Reviewer appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you had a fantastic stay with us and found our location very convenient to so many things. I was also happy to hear your comment on our breakfast. Thank you.

I am thrilled that you has such wonderful stay with us and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Location is extremely convenient;
Hotel quality - lobby, gym, Horizon Clubs, Yi Cafe, Restauants, Room - Excellent;
Service especially from the experienced staff - Genuinely Warm, Extremely Helpful; overall EXCELLENT Service !

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
1  Thank KCNEOH

Dear KCNEOH,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you recent visit to Shanghai. I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed our hotel and had such a great stay. I am so happy you found both our services and facilities excellent.

I am thrilled that you has such wonderful stay with us and I hope to welcome you come back soon.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Had the most amazing weekend with our close friends and their 2 year old last weekend at the Shangri-La. Was courtesy of a prize which had been won at a charity ball. The communication from the hotel, starting with my first email to modify the voucher conditions so our friends could join us, was outstanding. I was notified of all our requirements from the General Manager, Director of Sales & Marketing and other staff. They did everything to make our stay so special. On the weekend of the stay from the polite chauffeur who was 30 minutes early, to the staff waving to farewell us as we left, we felt so special. The hotel is everything you would want for luxury in the heart of Shanghai. The room view (Grand Bund Premier) was phenomenal to the extent we spent a lot of the night watching river traffic and the view of the buildings. Very easy access to the promenade by the river and the shopping mall meant we were able to amuse our friends 2 year old with an interesting walk while our husbands had the Jade Journey massage. The boys came back raving about the massage and rated it higher than any massage they had ever had before. They took the little girl swimming in the fantastic indoor heated pool while us ladies indulged in High Tea- a lovely relax for a Saturday afternoon. The buffet breakfast in Yi Cafe was a highlight with the vast range of stations to choose from. Staff were helpful and attentive with drinks and seating.
On both days the staff in the Horizon Lounge were so accommodating to us- even with a lively 2 year old. In particular the gentleman from Malaysia, whose name has slipped our mind, was friendly, courteous and couldn't do enough to make our stay special. We can not thank the staff enough - so if you are looking for a fabulous weekend, head to the Shangri-La Pudong.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room with a view of the Bund- pay the extra for access to Horizon Lounge for the ex...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank plugger59

Dear plugger59,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you recent visit to Shanghai. I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you and your friends had a fantastic stay. If I remember correctly you are leaving Shanghai to another assignment, so I'm am thrilled there will always be a fond recollection of our hotel, staff, service and facilities forever in your Shanghai memory bank. I appreciate all your comments.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

This hotel is everything you would expect from the Shangri-La group. Spacious lobby, elegantly attired staff and lots of them; comfortable, commodious rooms. A glitzy experience. Our room had a splendid view of the Bund across the Huangpu River. If you attend an evening event on the hotel terrace, the illuminated Bund is as good a backdrop as you could want. The buffet breakfast must be the best ever - all imaginable cuisines represented and superbly executed. Hotel hard to fault: But beware, if somebody important is staying (or about to) you'll have to endure airport-style security to get in and those particular operatives are certainly not Shangri-La trained. The hotel is an easy walk to the metro and the very upscale local malls. The local architecture is worth a trip in its own right. Shirts are 85 yuan.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Camwas
Peter C, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear Camwas,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you recent visit to Shanghai. I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you loved our hotel and had an amazing stay with us. It appears that you were here while the city was hosting an international conference, involving 16 heads of state and luckily for us we hosted 4 at the same time, this is a one time event, and it was an exciting time for sure. I'm so happy you enjoyed everything from our restaurants and food to spectacular views. As a top contributor with 191 reviews, I an trilled with your endorsement, Thank you.