“Calm amidst chaos” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 4,969 Hotels in Shanghai
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Calm amidst chaos”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I had the opportunity to spend a few nights at this hotel, specifically at one the the Bund view Grand Tower rooms.

The hotel's GM and team namely Violaine and Chee Hang were great to offer some advice on what to do during the day such as settling myself at the Horizon Club during the evening and watch the sunset.

If you would like to see the Bund, but do not want to endure the mad rush of tourist poking their monopods in your picture, just grab a pair of binoculars and find a nice spot at the Horizon Club to have a bird's eye view of the Bund while knocking back a glass of wine.

The rooms are very spacious and well-thought off. Waking up to the view of Shanghai was definitely one of my trip's highlight. The only downside to it was a too short of a stay to fully enjoy its facilities.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Peter C, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear b3h0nc3,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you recent visit to Shanghai. I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed our hotel and facilities during your recent stay. I am so happy you commented on our amazing view, and the best way to enjoy the Bund was with a glass of wine and a pair of binoculars, I couldn't agree more.......

I am thrilled that you has such wonderful stay with us and I hope to welcome you come back soon so you can spend more time and enjoy the entire array of services the hotel has to offer.

Peter Clarke,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Olney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

The room was just beautiful and spacious. It is by far the nicest hotel that we have ever stayed at, including trips for business and pleasure.

The breakfast buffet included Western, Chinese and Japanese items.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Daniel W
Dear Daniel W,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you visit to Shanghai. As a Senior Contributor I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you had an amazing stay with us and enjoyed our amazing breakfast spread also.

I am thrilled that you has such wonderful stay and I hope to welcome you come back soon.

Changzhou
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Pinky, Vivian, Ella, MayLisa, Sara, Jenny, Amy, Hansen, Reven, and Helen all do a great job to make me feel like home. I have never been to a VIP lounge, where the team is so prepared for my arrival, and understands my needs. A perfect example is when I injured my arm. All three shifts for whatever reason, understood my situation, and were able to help me during my busy stay. This is the type of service, where there is a system in which the team is able to communicate and understand the needs of their guest.

Well done. Expect to see me every week.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

1 Thank TheEngEng
Dear TheEngEng,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for your recent visit to Shanghai. I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor and highlighted so may of our Horizon team, they do a tremendous job so I am really pleased you mentioned them individually. I am delighted that you had a great stay, hope to meet you on your next visit. I hope your arm is getting better.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

My family and I (including our two young children) stayed 3 nights in the River Wing of this fantastic hotel. As part of a credit card promotion we immediately received an upgrade to a Bund View Horizon Club Level room. The view was absolutely fantastic with a clear panorama of the Bund. The rooms were spacious and the staff had already set up a rollaway bed in the room for our older child at no additional charge. The Horizon Club Level benefits were fantastic including the service, food, and beverages. The service we received from assistant manager, Kenny Ooi, was beyond excellent and very personalized. Kenny's picture should be in the Dictionary next to the word "hospitality." We enjoyed the Club level so much I upgraded my subsequent Shangri-La hotel rooms in Xi'an and Beijing to Club level as well. The breakfast buffet at the café on the 2nd floor is huge and covers food from all over the world. We truly enjoyed our stay here and would definitely come back as well as highly recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Location
2 Thank Dev D
Dear Dev D,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you recent visit to Shanghai. I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you and your family had an excellent stay at our hotel, I know Kenny will be thrilled with your comment, thank you very much for highlighting him and the Horizon Club team.

I hope to welcome you back to the Pudong Shangri-La in the not to distant future.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Shangri-La Pudong maintains the same high standards as the entire Shangri-La chain of hotels. Rooms are clean, very well maintained. Staff is very friendly, helpful, efficient and always available be it at any of the entrances, lounges, front desk etc. The Shangri-La properties are first class as is the staff. Staff is always happy to help when asked but generally have anticipated your needs.
Highly recommend this property . The location makes this Shangri-La an all around winner. Will definitely stay at this property again with no hesitation moreover look forward to returning!

Room Tip: River view will give you view of the Pearl building if in the Grand Tower
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Ricardo W
Dear Ricardo W,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you recent visit to Shanghai. I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed our hotel during your recent stay. I appreciate your comments staff and how they anticipated your needs.

I am thrilled that you has an excellent stay with us and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Doha
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Pudong Shangri-La is one of the best hotels I have stayed in till date. I stayed at this hotel twice during my China trip. The first time, I was in a very good room - effective and orderly, but nothing extraordinary. However, the next time I checked in, I got upgraded into a FABULOUS room. I just cannot describe how good that room was. "Brilliant" is the only word I have for it.

The breakfast spread at Yi Cafe is definitely one of the biggest & finest I have ever seen. Following cuisine after cuisine, I almost forgot where I had my table!

During the second stay at the upgraded room, I had breakfast at another restaurant (cant remember the name). The best part was that I could check out at this restaurant. Convenient to say the least!

The views from the Jade on 36 are amazing...worth a visit.

Overall a fantastic experience. I'd certainly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the river for sure...the view is beautiful!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ashishvb
Dear Ashishvb

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you recent visit to Shanghai. As a Senior Reviewer I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you had a fantastic stay with us and found our location very convenient, rooms and views exceptional and overall had a Brilliant stay. Thank you.

I am thrilled that you has such a great time with us and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I regularly travel to Shnaghai and the provinces and have to say the experience can be inconsistent. I have found the Shangri-La to be at the very top of the continuum of ease and comfort and recommend it without reservation. It is worth paying a premium for the Tower and getting access to their Executive Lounge where breakfast and evening drinks are served with concern and professionalism. Staff are generally multi-lingual and extremely helpful even down to the gold jacketed lift attendant on the Executive floor who smiles as though I am his long lost brother every time I see him

Room Tip: Pay the Tower premium and get access to the Executive lounge- it works out as good value
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Peter C, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Guy H,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for you recent visit to Shanghai. As a Senior Reviewer I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you had a fantastic stay with us and enjoyed our personal service from the Horizon Club team in the Grand Tower.

I am thrilled that you has such a great stay with us and I hope to welcome you back in the future.