“Superb”

Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai
Ranked #27 of 5,140 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 2 September 2014

We stayed for four nights and it was outstanding. The environment, the service and the rooms were all the very best - extremely luxurious. An outstanding hotel and I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: We had a fabulous room overlooking the Bund
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Peter C, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear Robert F,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for your recent return visit to Shanghai. I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am delighted you had an excellent stay with us and found everything to be "outstanding".

Reviewed 1 September 2014

Nicely located in one of the older parts of Shanghai. Well appointed rooms. Generous and lots of variety breakfast buffet. Nice bar with "high tea" and friendly English speaking service. Smoking area in bar. Close to subway station

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Peter C, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear Han V,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for your recent Shanghai visit. I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us in and in particular our Yi Cafe Breakfast, High Tea and convenient location

Reviewed 31 August 2014

Once again we were treated for a business stay @ Shang Pudong. After a long day at the fair there is almost nowhere else to rather be.
Excellent Hotel! everything you need and want is available within this Hotel.
Breakfasts are fantastic and complete

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Peter C, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Dear Jason P,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for your recent return visit to Shanghai. I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am delighted you had an excellent stay with us and not for the first time it appears....so thank you again for a very favorable response.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Shangri-la Pudong -- the hotel is spacious, it has 2 main building with a long lounge connected. the breakfast coffee is the largest one I have seen in hotel, the space is like 1/3 golden jaguar buffee.

Room Tip: ask for compliment price when booking
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Peter C, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Jessica C

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for your recent Shanghai visit. I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled that you loved your stay with us in and in particular our Yi Cafe Breakfast.

I hope to welcome you back to the Pudong Shangri-La in the not to distant future.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

First Rate, Absolutely a must if one is using the new convention center. Nicely located near good restaurants and shopping. The staff speaks decent English, is courteous to a fault and always helpful. Very comfortable rooms.

Room Tip: Higher floors are probably quieter, but noise from traffic isn't much of a problem here.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Peter C, General Manager at Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Fresser_27

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for your recent return visit to Shanghai. I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am delighted you had an excellent stay with us and found our service friendly and courteous.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in May for a conference. Prior to this we stayed at The Waldorf Astoria on the Bund for 3 nights. This gave me the opportunity to compare the 2 hotels and their positions.

The Shangri La is nicely positioned on the river and we were fortunate to have been allocated a river view room. The view was great. The view was even better on the higher floor where they have a members lounge.The room was okay. It is dated but well kept. Certainly not close to the luxury of the Waldorf Astoria.

The breakfast was extensive. There were foods from all around the globe with great variety at each station and most being freshly prepared. A delicious feed. The only draw back, is that whilst there was space in the restaurant, at times they could not deal with the influx of hotel guests and we had to wait about 15 minutes in a queue to be seated.

The hotel seems to have a lot of facilities but we didn't use these.

The concierge service was hit and miss. One man, Windsor, was excellent and delivered outstanding service. On the other hand, the head of the concierge wasn't able to answer most of our questions and had to refer to others for assistance which was unusual for a head concierge.

The draw back with staying in Pudong is that one has to travel a distance to see most of the sights and traffic in Shanghai is heavy most of the time. There is not much to do around the hotel, aside from the shopping centre, the Shanghai World Financial Centre (which is a fabulous building), the Oriental Pearl TV Tower and possibly a few museums, which did not interest us. The area is the financial district of the city and is generally quite sterile. Most of the nice restaurants are on the Bund side of the River.

We had a shocking,poorly serviced and ridiculously over priced meal at South Beauty at Super Brand Mall (the service was very poor,we had great difficulty ordering, they charged us for the napkin towels and $20.00 for a single prawn entree, which was nothing special !!) We had a nice dumpling lunch at Din Thai Fung in Super Brand Mall.

There is a metro nearby, which I used to go to the market underneath the Science Museum (which was good and quite big, once I discovered that it spans both sides of the railway line) In the opposite direction, the metro goes to Nanjing road. We ended up spending time and money in cabs

The lady in the business centre was very helpful when I needed to posy a parcel.

If I were to return to Shanghai, I would definitely stay on the Bund side.

Room Tip: If you can do it, a room overlooking the river and the bund is a bonus. The higher the room, the bet...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank aarjay

Dear aarjay,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for your recent visit to Shanghai. As a Senior Contributor I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your overall stay with us. It does appear there were a few opportunities which I will for sure review with our concierge team in particular. One of the best features of our hotel is the amazing views of the Bund and the River and the fact our location is less congested with traffic, however that does mean having to cross the river when you want to be in Puxi, there are several great restaurants in our hotel and in the area also, should you not want the hassle. Fortunately we are also located beside the metro and taxis are extremely cheap USD$5 or $6 will get you a very long way.

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Excellent service. Brilliant location. Everything is quality in this exceptional hotel. It is not cheap of course but this Shangri has set very high levels in terms of service and quality of the rooms. The bed was so comfortable. I will definitely go back when I am next in Shamghai.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear RevivAll,

Thank you for choosing the Pudong Shangri-La Hotel for your recent visit to Shanghai. As a Senior Contributor I appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled you had such a wonderful stay and really enjoyed our service and facilities.