“Good hotel”

Ranked #171 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Varazdin, Croatia
“Good hotel”
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Its a nice hotel with nice rooms and really good beds, and waht surprised me it was that you can smoke in the rooms ;-) ! The loby is quite nice made, wit a nice small piano bar, but with a limited offer with drinks and coctails, so you have not lot to choose but its ok. The pianist and the singer perform different international music, and it was a nice atmosfere in the evening. On a scale from 1 to 10 , I could give an 8 for the cleaness of the room and the hotel. We had there just the breakfast, and the offer for the breakfast is ok. The stuff was ok, they speak good englis. WIFI is just in the loby but with limited access.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kristian K
Michael B, General Manager at Mercure Shanghai Royalton, responded to this review, 12 May 2013
Dear Marius O
Thank you very much for your kind comments after your stay with us in Shanghai, we appreciate that you took the time to post your kind remarks. As a team, we are very glad that your stay with us went well and hope that the rest of your trip in China was equally good.
We hope to see you again. Thank you again for your comments.
Sincerely

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Good rooms, excellent beds, good piano bar in the lobby. Japanese, Spanish, Chinese restaurant , massages. Good variety for breakfast. Free wifi in the lobby. The hotel is clean, comfortable and the service was great.The staff were polite and had a good understanding of English.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Michael B, General Manager at Mercure Shanghai Royalton, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear Marius O
Many thanks for your report on the Royalton, we appreciate you taking the time to post it and we are very happy that you enjoyed your stay in Shanghai. We hope to see you again.
Regards
Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed 17 December 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the Royalton Hotel again a few weeks ago (November 26-December 1, 2012).

In keeping with my many previous stays there, the service on this last trip was fabulous! From the moment I got out of the taxi upon arrival until the moment I entered into the cab to leave the property, I felt as if I was at home. The entire staff remembered me by name and was so accommodating in every way. The room was impeccably clean, the breakfasts were great and spending time in the lobby bar in the evening was so relaxing. The new entertainers (husband and wife singers/piano player) were delightful. Special thanks to Emma (front desk), Sandy and Ellen (restaurant) and Nina (lobby bar). Lastly, kudos to Michael Brooks, the General Manager, for his unbelievable attention to detail in making this property a true gem!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Phil D
Thank you Phil D, it's always great to have you to stay with us, thank you for your kind endorsement. We greatly look forward to having the pleasure of seeing you soon.
Thanks again and warm regards
Pula, Croatia
Reviewed 10 November 2012

We stayed in this hotel for two nights and got excellent large, clean room with very comfortable bed and not so special view on residential neighborhood and gymnastic hall. Free wi-fi is available in hotel lobby, in room is charged 1 RMB per minute. There were few english language tv programs like HBO, CNN, discovery chanel, nat geo... Room has universal AC socket. For breakfast is buffet table with very, very large choices of food from chinese to western.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I LIKED: decently priced, good rooms, excellent beds, good piano bar in the lobby, relatively small sized, Japanese and Spanish restaurants, spa, massages, small fitness, good variety for breakfast, big departments stores and Cloud 9 shopping mall, big park (Zhongzhang park) and metro lines within walking distance. JingAn Temple & West Nanjing Road 2 metro stations away. Free wifi in the lobby.
I DIDN'T LIKE: pay cable internet in the rooms, good service but English is still very low with several staff members (this is true for most places in Shanghai, helpful and nice though. No swimming pool and small fitness. There is a hotel with a big outdoors swimming pool and a big fitness center just in front of Zhong Zhang park

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Norway
Reviewed 13 March 2012

This is a nice hotel in relation to price, with excellent breakfast.
I have stayed here a few times and will most likely choose this hotel for my next China visit. Relatively close to the Hongqiao train station, but far from Pudong airport if you go by taxi. Next time i will try the Metro.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I had a bad experience at this property a year ago after getting bad service, a room with broken heater/AC and them nearly doubling my rate during my stay.

I tried to keep an open mind as give them another shot since some business associates of mine booked rooms here. Check in went fine. I told them I required a non-smoking room (I have asthma issues) and preferred a king sized bed . When I got to my room I found that there was construction directly above my room which included jackhammers. The voice was incredibly loud. So back to the front desk I went. I explained the issue and they politely offered to move me . . . ONE ROOM OVER! Not exactly going to be any quieter. After a long discussion they offered to move me again, this time to a smoking room that smelled terrible. Back to the front desk again . . . This hotel's front desk staff is really worthless.

It was at this point that I decided it best I check out and go elsewhere which is just what I did.

I had hoped that after a full year, things would improve with the property and the front desk staff but unfortunately that has not happened. There are other very nice choices locally.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business