“Disgusting and dirty, do not stay here!”
Review of Pacific Hotel

Pacific Hotel
Ranked #155 of 5,206 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 19 January 2008

We checked into this hotel in the afternoon and checked out the next day. The hotel is disgusting and dirty. I can tolerate an older style hotel, but dirtiness? No way. It was a huge let down to our holiday. We checked into the lovely 5 star hotel next door. The bathroom was so appalling that I refused to get into the shower. It was mouldy, dingy and reminded of a cheap backpacker hostel.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 January 2008

This hotel, just north of People's Park, is in an ideal location for first-time tourists. It is next to the junction of two major subway lines, and just a few blocks from both the Nanjing Road pedestrian mall and the Shanghai Museum. The lobby has the appearance of a former elegance that has faded away. Our rooms were furnished with two twin beds, and large enough so we did not feel cramped for space but small enough that it did not feel luxurious. The furnishings were old, but in good condition. It was warm when we stayed there (about 30C), and the air conditioning was barely adequate. The rooms initially had a slightly musty odor, but that seemed to dissipate. The rooms have ethernet connections to the internet; when we did not find a cable, we bought one for 10RMB (later, we found an ethernet cable in the desk drawer). The buffet breakfast was pretty good, but it cost 66RMB; there were lots of places just outside the hotel where you could get a much cheaper breakfast. For those with an ATM card from Bank of America, there is a China Construction Bank ATM located in the shopping mall on Nanjing Road two doors to the east.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 November 2007

Visited Shanghai for the first time with 2 girlfriends. Excellent location, room was clean, good shower but that's about it. No luxury whatsoever, which was fine with us as we were out all day and just needed a place to sleep. Definitely not the place for you if you like to spend a lazy day in. But will not stay here again, prefer a little more luxury next time.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank kimnmel
Reviewed 1 November 2007

Just returned from a small group tour in China and had been suspicious of this hotel having read previous reviews on this website. (Sadly I had no choice since I was with a tour.) The only positive thing to be said about it is the location across from People's Square. The picture on their listing makes the hotel look glamorous with night lighting but don't let that fool you. The lobby looks elegant with it's vintage styling but that's as far as it goes.

When we arrived I was given a dark, smoke scented and filthy room facing a dingy building. I immediately complained and was given a slightly "better" room on another floor, meaning that it didn't reek of smoke. I was too tired to move again but upon further inspection discovered old, decrepit scratched furniture with burn marks. Carpets were filthy and stained. Bathroom was grubby: moldy grout and caulking around tub and toilet. Window in bathroom was stained and not sealed. Furthermore there was no safe in either room I was in, although several members of our group had them, and had slighly cleaner brighter rooms than I did. (Most of the group was NOT happy with the accomodations.) Apparently there are a few remodeled rooms facing the street which, though noisy, at least had daylight.

I stayed one night and woke up itching from some sort of bites on my head. There was no way I was going to stay in this place one more night, so I left and found a clean, modern and reasonably priced place elsewhere at my own expense.

To add insult to injury, I later discovered that the front desk staff was completely useless at trying to locate guests. My husband attempted to call me several times and they said they couldn't find me on their roster. They had no record of my registration, and could not connect me to anyone in our group, in spite of the fact that they required our passports when we arrived. Forget it if there had been an emergency!

I agree with the reviewer who mentioned not staying in older hotels in China. We stayed in a few other older hotels in China but they were cleaner and better kept. All the resources seem to be going into new properties in preparation for the 2008 Olympics.

Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed 30 October 2007

This hotel is nothing special - but then you're not paying top dollar for a room here. Hotel is well located just over the road from People's Square metro station (which is conveniently linked to Pudong International by a single simple change for the Maglev train at Longyang Road).

The rooms were nothing special, but were well turned out and comfortable.

The front desk were nothing special either, but were more than capable of translating addresses from English into Chinese for use with taxis.

The hotel is not a place to spend oodles of time in. It is more suited as a place simply to sleep at. As such, I highly recommend it as a base for exploring based on its location and price.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2007

We stayed here for 4 nights in July. The good things first: breakfast was included in our hotel price and it was a decent spread of western and chinese food. The AC (a necessity in the hot summer months in China) worked well in our room. Location was great, across from the Metro and People's Square and right down the street from the flashy pedestrian shopping area and upscale mall. The minuses...I got a creepy feeling everytime I walked in due to the fact that the employees were always staring at us. I saw other westerners staying at this hotel and even after a couple of days after thet got to recognize that we were staying in the hotel, they still stared at us. The rooms are definitely old (marketed as old world European) but there's a difference between old and dirty, this place was both! The carpets were stained in the rooms and there were cracks on the walls and near the sink and shower. The last night we were there there was a constant drip near the mini bar, probably caused by the room above's AC. Given our limited knowledge of Chinese and the employees minimal knowledge of English, it was difficult to tell them that they needed to fix the problem. Overall, there must be a better deal in Shanghai than this place. The overall ambience was not worth spending the money on.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank GtownHoya
Reviewed 27 May 2007

This hotel is wonderfully located in front of People Square (main museums, metro station), next to the main shopping street and if you like walking, you can do it all the way to the river or the french quater.

My room was perfect and quiet. Interenet at the business center was ok.

In the restaurant they are not very friendly. You can have your breakfast in the Stabucks only a block away.

rates were good value for money and the staff at the front desk was helpful.

I would easily go back th this hotel

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled solo