“Stay in Pacific Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pacific Hotel

Pacific Hotel
Ranked #176 of 4,941 Hotels in Shanghai

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Glenwood Springs, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2008

We were on a textile tour and our US guide had been to China 32 times. So she knew Shanghai. The hotel is being remodeled so get a room facing the street. I had two different rooms on two different occasions and had no problems. Everything was clean and the rooms were huge. I could walk right out of the hotel across the street to People's Park and never felt unsafe. The breakfast buffet was huge. I loved their fried potatoes....and the tomatoes were very fresh. I also ate some of the regional vegetables and meat. I did not drink the coffee as it was very strong. I loved the stay there. I can still hear the street saxaphone player outside the window......I also had some laundry done for a reasonable price. It came back the same day, folded very neatly and ironed better than I could. I would definitely go back.

• Liked — Location - close to Shanghai Museum and People's Park
  • Disliked — It took forever to check out at the front desk.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2008

On my second stay at this hotel I discovered why it gets some OK reviews and some bad reviews. The room I was given this visit was meant to be the same class as the one I had a month before but there was no comparison. The room had bare floors where the carpert was ripped out. I got a tin of insect spray delivered to my room to deal with the cockroach and bed bugs, the shower was broken, the bed was small. After a night wrapped in my own clothes for protection as I slept and extensive 'negotiations' at front desk I got the room I had last time - '502' - they bumped another person who had booked it. Same price but much larger and included carpet and some light.
At its best this place is passable.
At it's worse it's an experience never to forget. The staff are generally helpful and the 502 cleaner was good but never expect a smile or them to be distracted from their own conversations for your benefit (even if you speak mandarin!) They never say 'xie xie' or 'bu ke qi'. The same company runs Park Hotel which looks much better and is very close - maybe the reject staff end up here.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Staying
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Shanghai hotels

Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2008

We checked into this hotel in the afternoon and checked out the next day. The hotel is disgusting and dirty. I can tolerate an older style hotel, but dirtiness? No way. It was a huge let down to our holiday. We checked into the lovely 5 star hotel next door. The bathroom was so appalling that I refused to get into the shower. It was mouldy, dingy and reminded of a cheap backpacker hostel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Dirtiness and uncleanliness
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Jose, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2008

This hotel, just north of People's Park, is in an ideal location for first-time tourists. It is next to the junction of two major subway lines, and just a few blocks from both the Nanjing Road pedestrian mall and the Shanghai Museum. The lobby has the appearance of a former elegance that has faded away. Our rooms were furnished with two twin beds, and large enough so we did not feel cramped for space but small enough that it did not feel luxurious. The furnishings were old, but in good condition. It was warm when we stayed there (about 30C), and the air conditioning was barely adequate. The rooms initially had a slightly musty odor, but that seemed to dissipate. The rooms have ethernet connections to the internet; when we did not find a cable, we bought one for 10RMB (later, we found an ethernet cable in the desk drawer). The buffet breakfast was pretty good, but it cost 66RMB; there were lots of places just outside the hotel where you could get a much cheaper breakfast. For those with an ATM card from Bank of America, there is a China Construction Bank ATM located in the shopping mall on Nanjing Road two doors to the east.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
kimnmel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2007

Visited Shanghai for the first time with 2 girlfriends. Excellent location, room was clean, good shower but that's about it. No luxury whatsoever, which was fine with us as we were out all day and just needed a place to sleep. Definitely not the place for you if you like to spend a lazy day in. But will not stay here again, prefer a little more luxury next time.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank kimnmel
San Francisco Bay Area
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2007

Just returned from a small group tour in China and had been suspicious of this hotel having read previous reviews on this website. (Sadly I had no choice since I was with a tour.) The only positive thing to be said about it is the location across from People's Square. The picture on their listing makes the hotel look glamorous with night lighting but don't let that fool you. The lobby looks elegant with it's vintage styling but that's as far as it goes.

When we arrived I was given a dark, smoke scented and filthy room facing a dingy building. I immediately complained and was given a slightly "better" room on another floor, meaning that it didn't reek of smoke. I was too tired to move again but upon further inspection discovered old, decrepit scratched furniture with burn marks. Carpets were filthy and stained. Bathroom was grubby: moldy grout and caulking around tub and toilet. Window in bathroom was stained and not sealed. Furthermore there was no safe in either room I was in, although several members of our group had them, and had slighly cleaner brighter rooms than I did. (Most of the group was NOT happy with the accomodations.) Apparently there are a few remodeled rooms facing the street which, though noisy, at least had daylight.

I stayed one night and woke up itching from some sort of bites on my head. There was no way I was going to stay in this place one more night, so I left and found a clean, modern and reasonably priced place elsewhere at my own expense.

To add insult to injury, I later discovered that the front desk staff was completely useless at trying to locate guests. My husband attempted to call me several times and they said they couldn't find me on their roster. They had no record of my registration, and could not connect me to anyone in our group, in spite of the fact that they required our passports when we arrived. Forget it if there had been an emergency!

I agree with the reviewer who mentioned not staying in older hotels in China. We stayed in a few other older hotels in China but they were cleaner and better kept. All the resources seem to be going into new properties in preparation for the 2008 Olympics.

Stayed October 2007