“Beyond my expectations!”

Shanghai Marriott Hotel Hongqiao
Ranked #70 of 5,160 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Before my arrival I had high expectations being that this is a five star hotel. Those expectations were immediately fulfilled even before walking through the doors. The exterior of the hotel is quite spectacular to say the least. I was treated like royalty the moment I stepped inside, I was almost blushing. I was welcomed by a beautiful young lady (I think her name was Avril) and check in was a breeze. I recommend doing the mobile check in as it's much faster. Once I was in my room I didn't want to leave. The beds felt like marshmellows. I felt like a total rockstar while I was at this place. Only downside was my stay was too short as this was a quick business trip for me. Next time I need to come back for leisure.

• Stayed: July 2014
Guest Service T... M, Guest Relations Manager at Shanghai Marriott Hotel Hongqiao, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear westsidelife27,

Greetings from the Shanghai Marriott Hotel Hongqiao!

We are very glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us, and that you enjoyed the different facilities and services we offer.

Hopefully we can welcome you again soon in Shanghai, business or pleasure, and that you get the same level of service and comfort stay after stay!

Best regards,

Christian Sidler, Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Upon first arrival this hotel is visibly impressive and spotless. I stayed a week here and in all areas of importance I was quite satisifed and in some cases exceeded my expectations. Staff was very helpful and welcoming at all venues of the hotel. Communications were typically good and I never had any difficulty in ordering or questions about tipping or explanation of the service charge that was on every thing you purchased. My room was quite comfortable despite the humidity of the weather. Clean and spacious and bed was more than acceptable (never as good as my own but it didn't keep me up). Asia and Europe manage their energy usage far better than many US hotels, this was no different. That took some getting use to but I appreciate the awareness and intended end result. Internet connections were strong in all parts of the hotel. Sometime you take for granted but when you don't have it, how annoying. Food in the hotel was varied in trying to meet the culinary tasted of numerous cultures and if you are adventurous you want to do the buffet for breakfast and for dinner at least once. I did breakfast every day, but that was my protection of not knowing where I would be eating for lunch or dinner. Hotel is in walking distance of the Hongmei Lu alley. It looked like an alley to me, but its a well populated area of resturatns and bars. I didn't have as much time to explore but will next visit. Location to our offices there was ideal and the area was great for walking, and taking in a few sights. I did notice a Hilton about 10 minutes prior to reaching the Marriott but I think the Marriott has a better location. My recommendation is the Marriott. You work too hard not to be able to have some good moments when you come in from the day. Marriott does a good job of providing good moments.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are good, ask for exterior to get a nice window view of the world
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Guest Service T... M, Guest Relations Manager at Shanghai Marriott Hotel Hongqiao, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear FollowthepathCC,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience of our hotel and its surrounding offerings! We are very happy to see that you enjoyed your visit so much and that you found so much to see and do during your time here!

Perhaps during future visits, you would like to explore further around Shanghai. Our Concierge department would be more than happy to help with recommendations and arrangements should you want them. And, of course, all of our Associates here will be more than happy to provide you with more of the excellent service you have experienced!

Feel free to let us know when you will be coming back - we look forward to it!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

This hotel is conveniently located near Hongmei Lu (a place with many good restaurants), Hongqiao Railway station and Hongqiao Airport. The room was big and comfortable and we enjoyed the room a lot. The free internet is always enjoyed citing that Hyatt has no free internet. The breakfast was very good. All of the staff were top notch and speak very good English. Overall, I greatly enjoyed this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Guest Service T... M, Guest Relations Manager at Shanghai Marriott Hotel Hongqiao, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Dear Maximilian G,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel! We are very happy to see that our hotel's rooms and location suited your needs perfectly, and that our Associates could provide you with such excellent service during your stay!

Please feel free to come back at anytime! We would very much welcome the chance to impress you again.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I am currently stying in Shnaghi Marriot, I have stayed many Marriot around the world in last 2 years. I found this hotel very quite , humble staff really willing to help.
The breakfast is really good, Kitchen staff help you to cook you taste of food but difficult to make them understand Thanks God few of Eurpoen staff support in commnication.

Excecutive lounge may need some more space to sit and few more vegitarian dishes.
Overall very nice and pleasent experice so far and I would like to comeback some time in future.

Room Tip: the subway station is near by longxi road station you can walk to reach anywhere in the city.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Guest Service T... M, Guest Relations Manager at Shanghai Marriott Hotel Hongqiao, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Muhammad Z,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We can only hope to continue impressing you with our level of service as you continue to stay here with us!

As we are always looking for ways to further serve our guests better, I have already forwarded your comments to our kitchens and Lounge. Rest assured, your feedback will definitely be heard!

We hope you will continue to enjoy your stays with us, and for many visits to come!

Reviewed 6 June 2014

This property is located near the HongQiao airport, and is very conveniently located from nearby eateries and shopping. I rated this as very good, but definitely leaves more to be desired especially being a Marriott property.

The rooms were adequate in size and comfort, but then it's just that - i.e. right. I wasn't awed by this hotel, especially when compared to the downtown marriott. The breakfast was quite typical of a Marriott.

I will definitely be staying there again though.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear SeNaInCA,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! While we are glad you did enjoy your stay, we certainly will not settle for providing an 'adequate' experience for our guests.

Marriott Hongqiao is always looking to improve, and always open to more feedback! Any further comments would be appreciated, as we are always open to raising the bar for ourselves to give guests like yourself a better hotel experience!

Our Guest Service team is always on hand to listen. Please feel free to let us know what we can do better on your next visit!

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I stayed here one night before flying out of Hongqiao. Very convenient to the airport and the Hongqiao area but quite a distance from downtown. The rooms are large and comfortable. The breakfast was more than adequate. Having stayed in the Downtown Marriott as well, this one was not quite up to the same standard, but still a very good hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Guest Service T... M, Guest Relations Manager at Shanghai Marriott Hotel Hongqiao, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear ChinaJim,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel! We are happy to see that you enjoyed your short time with us, from the comfort of our rooms to our buffet breakfasts on offer!

Though we are sorry we could not meet your expectations from our sister hotels during your brief time here, we sincerely hope you will give us more chances in the future to impress you further!

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Rooms are getting somewhat dated. But as usual, service is great, wifi works great, fitness area is great and the location is easy walking distance to Hong Mei Lu (seems they are changing the name to Lao Wei Lu--Foreigner Street), also Bubba's is next door. If you want a Chinese market the Hongqiao Pearl market is also a short walk. Used the subway from Hongqiao train station to get to hotel. Get off at the stop after the Shanghai Zoo. It is only about the 4th stop (first 2 being the airport terminals), then a short 5 minute walk to hotel down Hongqiao Rd. Exit subway station on south side (right in direction of travel of the subway) of Hongqiao Rd as crossing the street would be an issue.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Jim B,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel! We are happy to hear that you continue to enjoy staying with us, and that our staff service keeps you coming back to our property. There is always something to do in the neighborhood, and if you ever run out of ideas, our front staff can always help you with suggestions for entertainment!

It is always a pleasure to serve our guests. We sincerely hope to see you again in the future!