“Excellent museum”

Shanghai Museum (Shanghai Bowuguan)
Book In Advance
Ranked #7 of 1,336 things to do in Shanghai
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This elegant museum, opened in 1996, features eleven state-of-the-art galleries housing China’s international-standard exhibits of bronzes, paintings, sculpture, ceramics, jade and Ming and Qing dynasty furniture.
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Compared to most other "official" museums I visited during my travels in Shanghai, Hong Kong and Beijing, I found Shanghai Museum to be far the best.

The displays are well-organised, the audio guide excellent and you get a very good sense of the immense wealth in China throughout the history.

The ceramics exhibition is a highlight, but also the exhibition on "minority nationalities" (various ethnic groups within China) is highly recommended.

Come early to avoid the queues.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,100)

Reviewed 1 December 2013

No surprise -- the government has been able to gather the archeological treasures. The signage and self-tour are excellent at every level: history, craft technique, meaning, and level of detail. A user-friendly museum for the serious visitor.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

We were looking forward to seeing the 'Barbizon through Impressionism: Great French Paintings from the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute' exhibition and finally got into the museum after a 35 min queue waiting for a security check. We then asked where the exhibition was, two people didn't know/seem to know about it although I clearly said the title and they understood the word for painting etc. The last said we had to go outside near the shop. We were about to go outside to the restaurant/shop area then noticed that if you left to go into this area, there was a huge queue again to come back in so we asked about this and they said yes if we left then we would have to wait 40 mins to go back in, in a rude tone. We decided we may as well eat at the restaurant and see the exhibition we actually wanted to see first so we decided we were prepared to queue if we wanted to see the rest of the museum afterwards. We went out and to the restaurant as it was lunchtime and we were hungry, we were told no food was being served...great. so we went to find the exhibition. I asked the lady in the shop where the exhibition was as I had been told it was outside by the shop and she said 'inside, second floor'. By this point I was livid because we would have to queue 40 mins to get back in. So we went away from the museum to get lunch...then came back...and queued again. Then when we eventually got into the museum (just in time before last entry by about 5 minutes) we went to find the 2nd floor and there was a queue going up all 5 floors to get into the exhibition...so we queued...with the usual general public being allowed to push past/in...when we finally got there it was like being wedged in at a popular concert so you could barely see the art, and people were holding up all their smartphones and even ipads blocking the view, then looking at the photos they had taken on them in front of the paintings. I turned off the flash and took a few photos and a lady comes up and tells me not to use flash on paintings. I argue that I have not and she argues back saying she saw it. What she actually saw was another person using flash. Anyway there was absolutely no regulation of people going round or into the exhibition, or very little and it was far from enjoyable, which is a shame because there were some great paintings to see. I didn't even get chance to see the rest of the museum because there wasn't time, spent a lot of time outside though which is nice to photograph. Not the museum itself though, the architecture is terrible.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

The collections in this museum come from all over China, not just the Shanghai area, and really offer a glimpse into China's rich history. It's well worth a visit!

Reviewed 29 November 2013

We recently returned from a trip to China. We used China Spree to book our tour as the itinerary covered most of what we wanted to see, the hotels were 5 star, and the price was phenomenal! Our guide, Lisa, was wonderful, and we thoroughly enjoyed our trip. We saw all the major sites, visited beautiful gardens, Buddhist temples, Shanghai Museum, saw several shows, etc. We had a full itinerary which introduced us to many facets of life in China. I would highly recommend not only this tour, but to request Lisa-she outdid herself to ensure our trip was memorable.