Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai
  • Pool
Yuxi Garden(Shanghai)
Qingyu Hotel(Shanghai)
  • Fitness centre
All reviewshengshan roadfrench concessiongrand suitestarwood propertycourtyard viewspg platinumswimming poolservice levelfront desk staffbars and restaurantshigh techbeautiful hotelsubway stationchoose this hotelrooms are largebusiness travelmini bar
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 June 2014

It's my best hotel in shanghai,with best lacotion in shanghai,the staff very friendly ,rooms very nice and clean,RESTURANT and food perfect,I stay in this hotel until now 12 stays ,no any more comments:)))
Maher abu-nasser

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Maherrr
Johnny_Mathis_LC, General Manager at Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay and for your nice comments on our hotel location, room facilities, culinary as well as our services. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Shanghai.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I have been traveling to Shanghai for over 20 years and while I enjoyed all my previous stays at the Westin on the Bund, this hotel is a cut above. I find the staff incredibly friendly, the hotel one of the most modern, the restaurant wonderful and the fitness facility top notch. The service I have found to be absolutely the best in Shanghai. On top of all the hotel offers, for a western traveler, this area is where you want to stay, with multiple eating and drinking options close by.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Keith W

Dear Keith,

Thank you for staying with us at Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel and we greatly appreciate your detailed feedback which have been shared with our team. In reference to your comment on the hotel location, we are pleased to let you know that the hotel lies in the heart of Shanghai’s former French Concession surrounded by restaurants, cafes, boutiques, galleries and restored art-deco buildings. Apart from the above, I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us and greatly appreciate your kind patronage. We look forward to the immense pleasure of welcoming you back to Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Rooms and location are excellent. For frequent guests, the rooms are very comfortable and large, as well as a welcome change from the similar feel of many rooms across the different chains. Good location in the city to be in.

The service is far below the standard set by other Shanghai hotels (Le Meridien, Kerry, etc.), particularly for frequent guests:

1. Room Service: Menu has been shortened since opening. Now very limited and of moderate quality. Takes 40 minutes to make food, vs. 20 at other hotels. Frequent mistakes, such as forgetting to deliver items (happened to me once per week in the past two weeks)

2. Laundry issues. Returned to my room one day to find someone else's laundry to delivered to my room, and mine was nowhere to be found. Took two weeks before my missing shirt was returned to my room (after having asked four times over the phone and at the front desk after they told me they found it).

3. Manager nowhere to be found. The evening when the laundry was lost, the staff spent 90 minutes looking for the hotel manager but could not find him or her. They tried everything, including calling the mobile phone.

4. Gym. No towels and no water available near the sauna / steam room.

5. Hotel has a policy which refuses to allow either outside food delivery to come straight to your room, or have the concierge / hotel staff accompany the delivery person to the room to alleviate security concerns. This means that one has to go to the lobby to pick up delivery, which also means that it's impossible to order delivery on evenings when one is booked full with conference calls.

Overall, you will enjoy your stay if you focus on the room and location of the property, but set very low service expectations.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Twelve at Hengshan, A Luxury Collection Hotel Shanghai for you recent visit to Shanghai. I do appreciate you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am very sorry that your stay was not up to your expectations. I really do apologize for not living up to our reputation. As you know we have worked hard to build our excellent reputation through positive word of mouth and clearly we failed to meet our standard for your stay. I do hope you allow us a second opportunity to create the first impression that we clearly missed. Please do not hesitate to contact me at johnny.mathis@luxurycollection.com if I can be of assistance. I will ensure you a flawless experience on you future stays.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We spent 3 nights at the Twelve at the end of our trip through China. It was a very modern and clean hotel that did seem to be set up more for the business traveler (but that's not meant in a negative way). Breakfast was very good, and the service throughout the hotel was excellent. The only thing that is a bit confusing is that most of the room elevators are not directly connected to the 5th floor breakfast area, so you had to go down to the lobby then up a different set of elevators. I feel that's likely for guest security because the conference rooms and restaurant area are available to the general public. Our room was lovely with very high tech conveniences. The location is within easy walking distance to several restaurant and nightclub options. The pool area is very nice and we had the place to ourselves. Though we liked the quiet and peacefulness, it seemed that it was not very busy. That was more understandable when we learned that it had not been open very long.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Johnny_Mathis_LC, General Manager at Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel and we greatly appreciate your detailed feedback which have been shared with our team. In reference to your comment on the room elevators, you are right, it's for guest security, this hotel's special design would like to separate public areas from rooms, let our in room guests feel more privacy.

Apart from the above, I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us and greatly appreciate your kind patronage. We look forward to the immense pleasure of welcoming you back to Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a beautiful and comfortble hotel, my only gripe is about getting some laundry done. I didn't want to pay the usual hotel costs of laundry so asked the concierge if our laundry could be sent out while we were away from the hotel for 2 days. They had a company who would do it for a per kilo rate, which was quoted to me (about 180RMB), and which I accepted. When we returned, the laundry had been done - cost 850RMB! When I queried this they said that because our laundry had shirts, a pair of jeans, and some causal dresses, the per kilo rate didn't apply. The concierge claimed I was told this at the time I left the laundry (I was not, and I deeply resent the insuation that I was lying). The debate raged on and on, with me repeatedly saying 'did you ever tell me about these extra charges? Did I ever agree to them?', the response finally being 'you were away from the hotel, we couldn't contact you'. So that is their justification for purporting to accept, on my behalf, a charge that I had never agreed to?

Finally they agree to be bound by the quoted rate. I go to the front desk to pay, but there are people ahead of me, so I decide to come back later. Later that day as I am waiting with my group to go to dinner I am approached by the duty manager in the lobby, asking me to pay. I tell him I will sort it out when we return. We return at 915pm, put daughter to bed. At 1020pm the telephone rings in my room, waking my daughter up - it is the manager asking me to pay!! I tell him I will take care of it in the morning. Next morning I go to the front desk to pay - they present me with a bill for 215RMB. I go through it item by item, as there has again been an attempt to overcharge me. I pay them the actual amount I owe and leave. Before doing so I ask for an explanation for the 1020pm call the night before. 'Oh, you only came back at 950pm so we thought it was ok to call. We don't disturb guests after 11pm'. No, I told them, we returned at 915, not 950. They tried to dispute that, too. As for feeling entitled to harass guests for a laundry charge at 1020pm instead of the next morning (we were staying for several more days, not checking out next day)?

No, it wasn't a huge amount of money. But what an incredibly shabby way to treat a customer. The hotel charges top dollar, and delivers a very good product in other respects, but I would never stay there again.

Room Tip: Face the courtyard.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Johnny_Mathis_LC, General Manager at Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to share with us your comments following your recent stay at Twelve at Hengshan, a Luxury Collection Hotel.

We regret learning about your disappointing experience with us that is absolutely unacceptable and certainly does not reflect the service standards we pursue. We do value your response as it is through them that we are able to further improve our service standards and facilities. We hope you will reconsider staying with us so we can show you the True Luxury Collection Service we practice.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at Johnny.mathis@luxurycollection.com if I can be of assistance.