“STAY AWAY. Worst Incompetent Staff Ever. ”

Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund
Ranked #82 of 5,146 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Had planned a room with an ensuite pool as a surprise for my spouse's birthday.

Just the day before check in, I receive an email from the front desk announcing that no rooms with pool are available and offering as an alternative (?) a plain vanilla room at full rate ( I checked at Kayak).

A first request for cancelation goes back, and, to my UTTER surprise, the front desk then comes with an offer to compensate with a nicer room (still no pool), which made me raving mad.

HOW can they just low ball us with a plain vanilla room at full price as plan B, and only when you complain and ask for cancelation because of the major hassle (which it was, I was not chest thumping) can they come with some sort of compensation for a mistake entirely their own?

How can their Front Desk be so naive to only offer some sort of ammendment once the Customer threatens cancellation, and expect to get away with it? The persons responsible for this should face termination.

On reading other recent comments here, Management will need to act promptly on their Front Desk Management to avert disaster, as they seem to be running the hotel as a local kind of place with a premium logo on the door?

STAY AS FAR AWAY AS YOU CAN until the mess is sorted out.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank AntonioShanghai
YvonneDeSuner, General Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Dear Mr. Antonio Villacampa,

It’s very sad to read your above comment, as it was definitely not our intention to remove your from Oasis pool room. We detected a technical breakdown, which we have fixed, and we wanted to avoid a future disappointment during your stay. We truly apologize that our reservation agent didn’t smartly offer you a better package which you would be pleased with, to compensate the fact that you would not be able to enjoy the pool. Please rest assure this case has been shared to the entire team and measures have been taken with the department concerned.

I am aware you are already in correspondence with our associates, we look forward to receive your new travel dates and plan your future stay with us.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 26 December 2013

the staff need to be retrain, restaff! almost most of them cant speak English , worst of of the dont care about you or the guest. also the location are hard to find, not even really at the bund . i try their dim sum , though they have many variety the service are not even small local restaurant level ( and they are international hotels ). food took soo long to come out , i go out with some of them not even arrive yet. i complain a few times , and they do nothing but ignore you not even apologize. they dont care if you happy or not , the moment asked for bill 1 minute they come. guess they only care about the money and not the guest or even customer service . i rather go to marriott and have much much much better service, better food and the dim sum are half the price they have here. for me the service here not even worth one or even half star. i have been to many hotels all over the world and this hands down win the worst service hotel ever. not even a great room can save a terrible service from the staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank ay12
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your time in writing your review. Our management team, especially our Food and Beverage department, are very concerned after reading your comments. We sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience you had. I would greatly appreciate to have the opportunity to speak with you directly and obtain further details, so that we fully investigate this incident. Thank you once again for your time and patience.

I may be contacted via email at Yvonne.yb@banyantree.com.

Yours sincerely,

Yvonne De Suner
Rooms Manager

Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

Before I go on, I must say that the hardware of this property is top notch, everything is well designed and you can tell no expenses, at least in the hardware side, are spared.

It was, however, downright disgusting how the check in staff blatantly lied to me. Everything at check in went well until when the staff was 'hard selling' me into paying a couple hundred bucks to get an ungraded room.

This hard sell included assigning me a room on the lowest floor (3/F) overlooking a construction site (her words) and then saying the rest of the hotel is sold out and occupied. The floor was, btw, on a smoking floor, which was the opposite of what I was guaranteed.

What happened in the next 5-10 minutes after repeated inquiries was that I was offered a same-tier room on the fifth floor (still smoking) and then one on the seventh (non-smoking). Sure, I'll definitely believe that in 10 minutes, 2 rooms miraculously became available.

The service, in general, sucked. Apart from the bell and door staff, no one greeted me while I walked past. While this won't suck if I'm staying at a 1 star property, I definitely expected much, much more from a Banyan Tree.

What a shame.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mobarnone
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your valuable comments and through our guest comment online survey. We sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience you had upon arrival and I would very much like the opportunity to connect with you directly to further understanding, as your comments seem an acceptable situation which we take very seriously. I look forward to correspond with you.

Rooms Manager
Yvonne De Suner

Reviewed 4 November 2013

This was my second time staying here , and at least my 6th or 7th Banyan Tree. Outside of Shanghai , they are strong on service and close to Aman in the overall experience. This hotel is not up to Banyan Tree standard, The location is kind of out of the way, but if you have a driver no big deal. The view is amazing, the fitout amazing, but the whole staff experience is 3 star. Imagine a totally empty rooftop bar overlooking the Bund that demands a RMB5,000 minimum in order for you to sit in their lounge seats - and then doesn't serve food. Imagine a spa that, when you complain about a massage, mentions that next time "they will give you a professional massage staff." Six phone calls to reception on the romantic pool to find someone with decent enough English to understand my issue., The poor service standards compared to Puli, Peninsula, Hyatt and other Shanghai competitors will kill this (currently deserted) hotel. It's a real shame, as the rooms, with their pools by the windows, are otherwise gorgeous. Shame.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Chandler L, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear asia6666,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your valuable comments. We sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience you had and would very much like the opportunity to connect with you directly to further understand your stay with us. We sincerely hope to see you when next trip to Shanghai.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

This is truly a beautiful hotel with stunning view of the bund from guest rooms. The rooms are so well appointed with quality decor and hi-tech in room facilities. Bathroom is really one of the best in town. Bath tub is huge and you can enjoy the bund view while bathing. The large sofa along the window is another plus. It's so relaxing just to lie there and enjoy. We love the little gifts placed on bed after the turn down service. And the essence oil is a highlight (in fact, good to leave a couple of candles in the room as it burns out fast).

Staff in general are ok but somehow they are not as courteous as other top end hotels in town. But the staff who provides guest service by phone are exceptional. Every request is taken care efficiently. Cleaning ladies are also very nice but usually they are being forgotten in compliments.

With the Banyan tree brand, I expect high food quality. But to my disappointment, though breakfast spread is good, quality isn't there. Coffee, juice, fruit, food items are well presented but taste-wise, is so average that definitely below 5 star. And I suggest the room service hour to extend after 11 p.m. as most hotels do.

Another suggestion is to open a Thai restaurant like Bangkok & Bintan Saffron. Always confident with Thai food from Banyan Tree.

In all, the hotel possess the best hardwares (beautiful room, stunning view, high-end facilities...etc), you have the potential to become the best in town. Just a little more training to your fairly new team and focus more on providing high quality of food (the taste of a grape can tell a difference).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HJKHongKong

Dear HJKHongKong,

Thank you very much for your valuable comment to us. Hopefully we could bring you a memorable experience. Banyan Tree Shanghai On the Bund is a unique venue to unwind and to recharge your senses. With room sizes among the largest in the city and with unparalleled views of Huangpu River and the Pudong skyline, this urban resort is truly a retreat for body and soul. We have taken note of your comments with breakfast and will review our offerings in our quest to constantly improve our guest experience. Thank you again for your feedback and hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Very calm relaxing hotel with amazing views form the roof top bar. Shame they feel they have to make it a health hazard with the neon blue lights on the floor. Location is a bit isolated and to be honest, the taxis do not know where it is.

The staff are a different matter, they stand playing on their phones rather than serving and when when you arrive to collect a guest , you are manhandled to a seating area and told to wait there( like a naughty school boy) .

I only visited as a conference guest then having drinks with some of our Senior managers who were staying so cannot comment on the "living in" services.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear CJC-shanghai,

Firstly thank you so much for visiting us and sharing your valuable feedback of our facilities and services which I have shared with all my Managers in order to consistently improve on our guest service delivery and experience. We look forward to welcome you back for your next visit.

Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

I have been traveling to china for 20 years- HK, shanghai, Guangzhou, Suzhou etc. Hands down my favorite - better the peninsula or intercontinental in HK. Impeccable service, rooms, spa, everything. Location is only drawback depending on where you need to be but worth it. Highly highly recommended

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business