“Uninformed staffs”

Ranked #81 of 5,082 Hotels in Shanghai
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Uninformed staffs”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I booked for a five night stay in this hotel and actually I am still staying this hotel. Upon arrival, I had a great welcome as the staffs were really pleasant and accommodating. They let me check in as early as 09.00am though I had sent an email to put in my special request. For this I really appreciate their accommodation. As I had an issue with me credit card, I only managed to pay for the full five night stay but they requested fifty percent more. Even though this is not a necessity, I am very disappointed as the hotel actually cancelled my room card after utilizing the paid services in the hotel as I have gone beyond the limit even though I had fully paid for the room. Imagine walking out of the spa unprepared and need to go to the lobby and validate the room card. To my horror!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Jason H
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Mr. Jason H.,
I am very sorry to read the comment above, I want to apologize for the inconveniences that it had caused you. We immediately have looked into the related standard of procedure, what have caused you was clearly not the standard we have in place. We have retrained related standard to hotel operational departments to avoid similar incident reoccur.

It is my wish that the sincere gesture we made upon departure could overcome the impression you had on us after the incident. We all wish you to return, please contact me yvonne.yb@banyantree.com.

Best regards,
Rooms Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Changzhou, China
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stayed there when one of my friend is holding a mini wedding reception in the property. The hotel is located in a less developed strip of land in Shanghai, but still convenient enough with ferry just next door and subway station about 5 minutes walk away. The property is quite new and nicely decorated, although I can notice that some of the wooden panels in the room are already showing signs of wear and tear. The room was very spacious by Shanghai standard with a good sized round bathtub in the bathroom. I believe all rooms have stunning view of the Bund area with the Pearl Tower being the main eye catcher.

The breakfast is a bit on the inadequate side in terms of range of selection, but nevertheless we were able to get a full and healthy breakfast before we depart. The fitness center and swimming pool is located on B3 or B4 floor, an unusual design and the air circulation seems to be a potential problem in those areas. The pool is a bit small, but the fitness room is of good size and very nicely equipped with state of the art training equipment.

Service, however, could be improved. Although they were able to accommodate our requests, but we did not see any staff with a smile on their face. You are getting the service you deserve, but the staff just feels a bit too cold, not the warm and cozy attitude you should expect to find in a property of this caliber.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear value guest,
Thank you very much for reviewing our property and for staying with us!
We have noted your comments which we will shared with the concern departments, specially the one mentioning that you didn't feel a warm service. We apologize for this, as this doesn't reflect what we stand for. We truly hope you well come back again!
Thank you once again!
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The resort was stunning and new. The room I stayed in was spectacular and spacious and had all the comforts of home. I particularly liked the bathtub which looked out to the river. My colleague and I had a great time at the rooftop bar with great food and breath-taking views of both Pudong and Puxi (I lived in Shanghai for 3 years never knew it was possible to have both views at one place!). The fitness center had great options for me to stay in shape while on business trip. Staff were friendly and very courteous. I travel a lot and have stayed in many hotels but this property is definitely in my top 3.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JacksonCheng
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Mr. JacksonCheng,

Thank you for your time reviewing our prorperty! We are thrilled to read that we are within your top 3 hotels choices. I shared your comments to our associates, who are delighted to read that you like the property and had a nice stay.

We trurly hope to welcome you back soon! Thank you once again!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We spent a week in Shanghai staying at the Banyan Tree Shanghai on the Bund. Having a lot of experience with 5 star hotels during my working life this hotel rated as well as some of the best in Asia. The room was spacious, comfortable and had all amenities with a magnificent view over the river to the business centre.
The staff were friendly and assisted us whenever asked. The breakfast and the meal we had on Oceans were excellent and when M on the Bund rang to confirm a booking they asked that we get a window table which was forthcoming. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and the hotel has a very relaxed feel to it unlike the major hotels in the area.
Concierge organised cabs for us and a ferry service is 100 metres from the Banyan.
I would recommend the Banyan Tree Shanghai to anyone travelling to Shanghai either for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: I would do a deal with breakfast and a Riverview room with a great view of the river and the busines...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Dear Mr Gerry V,

Thank you very much for your time reviewing our property and choosing us for your week stay in Shanghai! I have shared your comments to our associates as it means a lot for all of us to know that you had a pleasant time. We all look forward to welcome you back!

Thank you once again!

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed in a room with an ensuite pool for two nights. Amazing view of the city skyline which made the experience phenomenal. Hotel staff were very helpful and accommodating. Front desk manager, Michael, was especially hospitable. He was sensitive to our need for late check-out and gave us useful tips to make our trip memorable.

• Stayed March 2014
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear value guest,
Thank you very much for staying with us and your time reviewing our property!
We have very happy to read your comments which we will share with our colleagues, especially to Michael, to continue encouraging them to go over guests expectations!
Looking forward to welcome you back!
Reutlingen, Germany
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I spent 1 night at this wonderful hotel and I was really fascinated because there was really nothing that was missing:
Great location at the river, beautiful and well equipped rooms with an amazing view to Pudong and over the river, a stylish bar, very good restaurant with delicious meals, friendly staff -always at your disposal and a huge roof top terrace.
The whole hotel and the rooms are very clean.I was staying at the 7th floor and from the bathtube and the shower you can look over to Pudong skyline.
I will definitely stay in this hotel when I will go to Shanghai again.

Room Tip: Did not use the Spa -so I cannot give a comment
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for reviewing our property. We are delighted to hear that you like it and had a great stay. I have shared your comments with our associates to continue encouraging them; your feedback is very much appreciated.

We truly hope to welcome you back soon!!

Best regards and thanks again for staying with us!

Yvonne De Suner
Irvine, California
Reviewed 22 February 2014

What an impressive experience! The property is beautiful & pristinely maintained. The rooms are spacious, and the view from the Panoramic View room is wonderful. And the enormous bath tub, heated toilet, and special Valentine's Day housekeeping service were nice added touches! And most important, was the service... We had a couple of items where we needed special assistance. The property management staff (Yvonne & Kevin) went out of their way to ensure we were well taken care of and satisfied, up to the minute we departed. I've never had such exceptional service, and we will undoubtedly be back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Ms Stacey,

Thank you very much for staying with us as well as your time writing your feedback!

I have shared your comments with our associates who very much appreciate and will encourage them to keep improving and going over guests expectations.

Please do let me know if you come back again! We will make sure next time is even better!

Yours Sincerely,