“Banyan get it right!”

Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund
Ranked #81 of 5,138 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I travel extensively,mainly for work, and I have the pleasure of a wife and two children who accompany on many visits abroad. We have visited a number of Banyan Tree properties over the years but these have been beach resorts, something Banyan does very well. We were interested to see if they could transition from a beach resort to a city centre hotel and the answer is a resounding YES.

The hotel is a little away from the "action" on the Bund but a five minute cab drive (very cheap in China) and you are right in the middle of it. Any main location is within a 10 min cab drive for about 3 USD or £2!....

The one thing Banyan tree is good at are their rooms, these are no exception, brilliantly laid out and every room has a panoramic view of the river and the financial city beyond. You can just sit in the window and watch the city work. Staff were fantastic and the Asian service was excellent. Room service menu and restaurants were good and the small touch of soft drinks in the room mini bar was nice.

The down side of this hotel is it's location, however in three years time the city would have caught up with it and it then it will be perfectly placed.

The up side of this hotel is everything else......

Room Tip: All rooms are large and have a great view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SRB07
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear valued guest,
First of all, thank you for staying with us and taking your time to review our property.
We are all delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you liked our property. We have shared your review with our colleagues which will continue encouraging them to go over guest expectations.
Thank you once again, we truly hope to welcome you back soon and if you do, please do let me know we will make sure your second visit is even better (yvonne.yb@banyantree.com).
Best regards,

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I booked for a five night stay in this hotel and actually I am still staying this hotel. Upon arrival, I had a great welcome as the staffs were really pleasant and accommodating. They let me check in as early as 09.00am though I had sent an email to put in my special request. For this I really appreciate their accommodation. As I had an issue with me credit card, I only managed to pay for the full five night stay but they requested fifty percent more. Even though this is not a necessity, I am very disappointed as the hotel actually cancelled my room card after utilizing the paid services in the hotel as I have gone beyond the limit even though I had fully paid for the room. Imagine walking out of the spa unprepared and need to go to the lobby and validate the room card. To my horror!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Jason H
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Mr. Jason H.,
I am very sorry to read the comment above, I want to apologize for the inconveniences that it had caused you. We immediately have looked into the related standard of procedure, what have caused you was clearly not the standard we have in place. We have retrained related standard to hotel operational departments to avoid similar incident reoccur.

It is my wish that the sincere gesture we made upon departure could overcome the impression you had on us after the incident. We all wish you to return, please contact me yvonne.yb@banyantree.com.

Best regards,

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stayed there when one of my friend is holding a mini wedding reception in the property. The hotel is located in a less developed strip of land in Shanghai, but still convenient enough with ferry just next door and subway station about 5 minutes walk away. The property is quite new and nicely decorated, although I can notice that some of the wooden panels in the room are already showing signs of wear and tear. The room was very spacious by Shanghai standard with a good sized round bathtub in the bathroom. I believe all rooms have stunning view of the Bund area with the Pearl Tower being the main eye catcher.

The breakfast is a bit on the inadequate side in terms of range of selection, but nevertheless we were able to get a full and healthy breakfast before we depart. The fitness center and swimming pool is located on B3 or B4 floor, an unusual design and the air circulation seems to be a potential problem in those areas. The pool is a bit small, but the fitness room is of good size and very nicely equipped with state of the art training equipment.

Service, however, could be improved. Although they were able to accommodate our requests, but we did not see any staff with a smile on their face. You are getting the service you deserve, but the staff just feels a bit too cold, not the warm and cozy attitude you should expect to find in a property of this caliber.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear value guest,
Thank you very much for reviewing our property and for staying with us!
We have noted your comments which we will shared with the concern departments, specially the one mentioning that you didn't feel a warm service. We apologize for this, as this doesn't reflect what we stand for. We truly hope you well come back again!
Thank you once again!

Reviewed 8 April 2014

The resort was stunning and new. The room I stayed in was spectacular and spacious and had all the comforts of home. I particularly liked the bathtub which looked out to the river. My colleague and I had a great time at the rooftop bar with great food and breath-taking views of both Pudong and Puxi (I lived in Shanghai for 3 years never knew it was possible to have both views at one place!). The fitness center had great options for me to stay in shape while on business trip. Staff were friendly and very courteous. I travel a lot and have stayed in many hotels but this property is definitely in my top 3.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JacksonCheng
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Mr. JacksonCheng,

Thank you for your time reviewing our prorperty! We are thrilled to read that we are within your top 3 hotels choices. I shared your comments to our associates, who are delighted to read that you like the property and had a nice stay.

We trurly hope to welcome you back soon! Thank you once again!

Reviewed 26 March 2014

We spent a week in Shanghai staying at the Banyan Tree Shanghai on the Bund. Having a lot of experience with 5 star hotels during my working life this hotel rated as well as some of the best in Asia. The room was spacious, comfortable and had all amenities with a magnificent view over the river to the business centre.
The staff were friendly and assisted us whenever asked. The breakfast and the meal we had on Oceans were excellent and when M on the Bund rang to confirm a booking they asked that we get a window table which was forthcoming. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and the hotel has a very relaxed feel to it unlike the major hotels in the area.
Concierge organised cabs for us and a ferry service is 100 metres from the Banyan.
I would recommend the Banyan Tree Shanghai to anyone travelling to Shanghai either for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: I would do a deal with breakfast and a Riverview room with a great view of the river and the busines...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Dear Mr Gerry V,

Thank you very much for your time reviewing our property and choosing us for your week stay in Shanghai! I have shared your comments to our associates as it means a lot for all of us to know that you had a pleasant time. We all look forward to welcome you back!

Thank you once again!

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed in a room with an ensuite pool for two nights. Amazing view of the city skyline which made the experience phenomenal. Hotel staff were very helpful and accommodating. Front desk manager, Michael, was especially hospitable. He was sensitive to our need for late check-out and gave us useful tips to make our trip memorable.

• Stayed: March 2014
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear value guest,
Thank you very much for staying with us and your time reviewing our property!
We have very happy to read your comments which we will share with our colleagues, especially to Michael, to continue encouraging them to go over guests expectations!
Looking forward to welcome you back!

Reviewed 27 February 2014

I spent 1 night at this wonderful hotel and I was really fascinated because there was really nothing that was missing:
Great location at the river, beautiful and well equipped rooms with an amazing view to Pudong and over the river, a stylish bar, very good restaurant with delicious meals, friendly staff -always at your disposal and a huge roof top terrace.
The whole hotel and the rooms are very clean.I was staying at the 7th floor and from the bathtube and the shower you can look over to Pudong skyline.
I will definitely stay in this hotel when I will go to Shanghai again.

Room Tip: Did not use the Spa -so I cannot give a comment
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for reviewing our property. We are delighted to hear that you like it and had a great stay. I have shared your comments with our associates to continue encouraging them; your feedback is very much appreciated.

We truly hope to welcome you back soon!!

Best regards and thanks again for staying with us!

Yvonne De Suner