“5 star in Shanghai worth travelling hours to stay in”

Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund
Ranked #75 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“5 star in Shanghai worth travelling hours to stay in”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Having stayed in many Shanghai hotels in the past The Banyan Tree is a welcome relief and worth travelling to stay in. From the moment you arrive the staff and ambience are exceptional. With views of the Bund to die for and a world class spa it is truly a must stay hotel

Room Tip: make sure you pay the extra for a room higher up with better views
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank richard n
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Mr Richard N,

Thank you for staying with us and taking your time to write your comments. We very much appreciate and we truly hope that we are your choice for your next Shanghai visit.

Yvonne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
hong kong
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed only one day in the room with a view of the Bund. Stunning view it has! Not like many hotels have only partial or boring view of the river.

Service all good and attentive. Not yet tried their spa to comment. Selection at breakfast is not very large in comparison to many similar level of hotels in Shanghai.

The lifts to guest rooms are very dark. You can hardly see where to touch the card so to press your floor button.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your time writing your review, we are very pleased to read that you liked the hotel and you enjoyed your stay. We have noted your comment about the darkness of the lifts and we will take some actions accordingly.

We all look forward to welcome you again, and hopefully next time you can stay with us for more than one night!

Thank you once again for your generous comments and all our best wishes!

Los Angeles
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Hotel is fairly new, but out of the way so that most taxi drivers do not know it by name, so that you must give them the street address. The location is not on the real Bund, and not within walking distance either. Immediately outside the hotel there is virtually nothing aside from empty (overbuilt) condo buildings. The location is not far from the edge of the Bund by taxi, but walking would take upwards of half an hour. The building is riverside, so that it appears all rooms have a river view, but since it is not on the good part of the river, the view is not nearly as nice as from the old Bund.

The rooms are huge, with giant tubs and double sinks. However the bathroom is a little bit narrow, relative to the size of the room overall. Beds are comfortably firm with both feather and non-feather pillows. There is also a large sitting area with wall to wall sofa along the window. A very large desk/work area is provided, with nescafe machine and free soft drinks from the minibar (other drinks and items are charged). The flat screen TV can be pulled out from the wall to face the sofa or desk. Overall the room is comfy, but the laminate (wood?) floor is a bit cheap feeling. All the bath towels are hard and heavy; none feel soft and fluffy. Water pressure in the shower is terribly weak. There is a separate hand shower and overhead shower head, and although both have weak water pressure, the hand shower is slightly stronger than the overhead shower. I could not get the bathroom TV to work. There are not many English language TV channels (there is CNBC), but way too many Chinese CCTV channels. The internet is terribly slow (although free of additional charge) throughout the hotel. In many corners of the hotel, the wifi connection is weak, and it always disconnects after a very short while of non-use, which is super-annoying. (I tried doing a speedtest, but even that could not complete, but froze in the middle, presumably due to the weak broadband and automatic disconnects.)

The breakfast at Oceans was acceptable (for China) but was neither delicious, nor a wide spread and was the same every day; certainly a far cry from what you get in comparably developed Asian countries like Thailand, Philippines or Malaysia. Service was abominable for Banyan Tree. Half the days no one approached me to seat me/us, they servers almost never offered a first cup of coffee, and never ever offered a refill. When I ordered an omelette, the wait staff never served to my table, and I always had to get up to retrieve it. Lunch at Oceans was slightly better, but I would say that only the restaurant manager seemed to have a clue about service.

The reception at the fitness center/pool was indifferent, and the never told me that you need to ask for a remote to change the channels on the cardio equipment. It appears that there are only 2 channels on the treadmills, but on my last visit when I made a comment about only 2 channels, the receptionist pulled out a remote control that you point at a box behind the machine in order to access more channels. You also have to ask for headphones from the receptionist.

The rooftop bar is not really happening. I heard that they film some Chinese version of "Sex in the City" at this bar, but there were few people up there, even on a Saturday night. Even so, in typical China fashion, the hostess didn't want to be bothered to seat us, and tried to turn us away since we didn't have reservations, but finally let us in after we told her twice that we are overnight hotel guests. Service was very slow. We must have waited 5-10 minutes before we were given a drink or snack menu, after asking for them. Then another 5-10 minutes before the waitress came to take an order, and then at lest 20 minutes before the food snacks came out, and then another 10 minutes for the drinks. On another occasion, Saturday night, there were no customers up there at 11:45pm and the bartenders were packing up to go home. They admitted that closing time would be 1pm, and so were a bit disappointed that we showed up. However, we had to call room service to order up to the roof bar!

The head concierge was fairly good (Mr. Cai), but the rest of the lobby staff was not all that informed, and could not give a hoot, as some of us looked lost around the lobby area. Most of the bell boys simply went about their own business as if there were no guests in the lobby.

The front desk also accidentally or wrongfully gave me an early morning wake up call on my last day, ruining an otherwise good sleep. I would not recommend this hotel if you have a choice. There are plenty of other 5* hotels in Shanghai, and since they all operate at <40% occupancy, it shouldn't be too hard to get a booking at a much more convenient location.

Room Tip: higher floor and higher room numbers should have better views. Rooms x05 or x06 are right next to t...
1 Thank maptraveler
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your valuable comments. We sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience you had and I would very much like the opportunity to connect with you directly to further understanding, as your comments seem an unacceptable. I look forward to correspond with you (Yvonne.yb@banyantree.com).

Yvonne de Suner
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I travel extensively,mainly for work, and I have the pleasure of a wife and two children who accompany on many visits abroad. We have visited a number of Banyan Tree properties over the years but these have been beach resorts, something Banyan does very well. We were interested to see if they could transition from a beach resort to a city centre hotel and the answer is a resounding YES.

The hotel is a little away from the "action" on the Bund but a five minute cab drive (very cheap in China) and you are right in the middle of it. Any main location is within a 10 min cab drive for about 3 USD or £2!....

The one thing Banyan tree is good at are their rooms, these are no exception, brilliantly laid out and every room has a panoramic view of the river and the financial city beyond. You can just sit in the window and watch the city work. Staff were fantastic and the Asian service was excellent. Room service menu and restaurants were good and the small touch of soft drinks in the room mini bar was nice.

The down side of this hotel is it's location, however in three years time the city would have caught up with it and it then it will be perfectly placed.

The up side of this hotel is everything else......

Room Tip: All rooms are large and have a great view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SRB07
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear valued guest,
First of all, thank you for staying with us and taking your time to review our property.
We are all delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you liked our property. We have shared your review with our colleagues which will continue encouraging them to go over guest expectations.
Thank you once again, we truly hope to welcome you back soon and if you do, please do let me know we will make sure your second visit is even better (yvonne.yb@banyantree.com).
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I booked for a five night stay in this hotel and actually I am still staying this hotel. Upon arrival, I had a great welcome as the staffs were really pleasant and accommodating. They let me check in as early as 09.00am though I had sent an email to put in my special request. For this I really appreciate their accommodation. As I had an issue with me credit card, I only managed to pay for the full five night stay but they requested fifty percent more. Even though this is not a necessity, I am very disappointed as the hotel actually cancelled my room card after utilizing the paid services in the hotel as I have gone beyond the limit even though I had fully paid for the room. Imagine walking out of the spa unprepared and need to go to the lobby and validate the room card. To my horror!

2 Thank Jason H
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Mr. Jason H.,
I am very sorry to read the comment above, I want to apologize for the inconveniences that it had caused you. We immediately have looked into the related standard of procedure, what have caused you was clearly not the standard we have in place. We have retrained related standard to hotel operational departments to avoid similar incident reoccur.

It is my wish that the sincere gesture we made upon departure could overcome the impression you had on us after the incident. We all wish you to return, please contact me yvonne.yb@banyantree.com.

Changzhou, China
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stayed there when one of my friend is holding a mini wedding reception in the property. The hotel is located in a less developed strip of land in Shanghai, but still convenient enough with ferry just next door and subway station about 5 minutes walk away. The property is quite new and nicely decorated, although I can notice that some of the wooden panels in the room are already showing signs of wear and tear. The room was very spacious by Shanghai standard with a good sized round bathtub in the bathroom. I believe all rooms have stunning view of the Bund area with the Pearl Tower being the main eye catcher.

The breakfast is a bit on the inadequate side in terms of range of selection, but nevertheless we were able to get a full and healthy breakfast before we depart. The fitness center and swimming pool is located on B3 or B4 floor, an unusual design and the air circulation seems to be a potential problem in those areas. The pool is a bit small, but the fitness room is of good size and very nicely equipped with state of the art training equipment.

Service, however, could be improved. Although they were able to accommodate our requests, but we did not see any staff with a smile on their face. You are getting the service you deserve, but the staff just feels a bit too cold, not the warm and cozy attitude you should expect to find in a property of this caliber.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear value guest,
Thank you very much for reviewing our property and for staying with us!
We have noted your comments which we will shared with the concern departments, specially the one mentioning that you didn't feel a warm service. We apologize for this, as this doesn't reflect what we stand for. We truly hope you well come back again!
Thank you once again!
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The resort was stunning and new. The room I stayed in was spectacular and spacious and had all the comforts of home. I particularly liked the bathtub which looked out to the river. My colleague and I had a great time at the rooftop bar with great food and breath-taking views of both Pudong and Puxi (I lived in Shanghai for 3 years never knew it was possible to have both views at one place!). The fitness center had great options for me to stay in shape while on business trip. Staff were friendly and very courteous. I travel a lot and have stayed in many hotels but this property is definitely in my top 3.

1 Thank JacksonCheng
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Mr. JacksonCheng,

Thank you for your time reviewing our prorperty! We are thrilled to read that we are within your top 3 hotels choices. I shared your comments to our associates, who are delighted to read that you like the property and had a nice stay.

We trurly hope to welcome you back soon! Thank you once again!