“Would give 7 stars if it was an option!”

Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai
Ranked #1 of 5,146 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I was incredibly impressed by the service, room and especially the food at this hotel. Every need was taken care of before I could ask. The room was an absolute palace, fit for a king. The buffet was better than any fine restaurant I've ever been to. I cannot more highly recommend this hotel - you will be doing yourself a favour by staying here!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Chris C
MO_Pudong, Director of Communications at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Dear Chris C

I am delighted to read your review and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai. I am pleased to know you have had a fantastic experience and enjoyed our legendary service. We look forward to welcoming you back for another wonderful and exquisite stay.

Sincerely yours,

Selina Chan
Director of Communications

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Typical Mandarin Oriental, luxury, best located, welcoming and a perfect 24hour opening gym and swimming pool - yes, its 24hours and the best part, there is a professional coach! Its probably the hotel which is closest to the river in shanghai and for the guest room, its logically designed. However, the house cleaning should be improved since i saw weird hairs in my room and the windows are not so so so luxury-cleaned. but as a new opening hotel, they already did the best. btw, try to jog along the river (not after 11pm), its amazing. and the grill restaurant is a must try.

Room Tip: Better get the room face to west/south. there is no smoking area except the lobby bar, so for smoke...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank wonderfay
Reviewed 17 July 2013

The hotel is everything you'd expect from the Mandarin, a flawless experience. It's no surprise it is voted #1 on Tripadvisor.

I'm a sucker for a good concierge service and Clark, Ken, William and their entire team were just amazing. From organizing the hotel limo, excursions and train schedules to arranging sunflowers, carrot cake, birthday candles and so on, they didn't skip a beat. We were in Hangzhou on the day we needed to fly out and running very late so I called them and asked for our luggage to be delivered to the airport. When we finally arrived at the airport in a taxi, William (a MO concierge) was there waiting for us with a bell hop and our luggage, he paid for our taxi and even assisted us through check-in. These guys are just fantastic, they know their city, they understand that 'no' is not an answer and I think they love a good challenge. Ten points to the MO concierge service!

As for the hotel, it's brand new and it's in perfect condition. The gym is equipped with the latest and best Technogym gear, the Spa is completely lovely and the Zest restaurant is outstanding. Zest is a mix of buffet foods from around Asia and it is brilliantly done. Exec Chef, Marco clearly knows what he is doing and it shows. The Qi bar is beautiful and the service is exceptional. You deserve to stay at the MO and it deserves to have you.

I can find almost no fault with this hotel so I am going to be extremely critical here. I can't believe I'm about to say this and I know it sounds ridiculous but I found the service almost too attentive or perhaps a bit invasive (I'm excluding the concierge service because that's their primary job). This is both a testament and a compliment to their extreme level of service but it felt like every time I left the room there was an entourage of staff waiting to greet me, push the elevator button, accompany me somewhere, offer me drinks, order a taxi, or just do something for me. There is a very fine balance between perfect service and too much attention.

The staff have obviously been extremely well trained to look after my every need and some (my girlfriend included) may love this level of royal service, I find it just a little bit exhausting at times.

I love that everyone is so well trained and managed and that all they want to do is look after you, so many hotels are the opposite so this is really a compliment. I love the Mandarin Oriental, the hotel is flawless as can be expected and a wonderful new addition to the Mandarin family. We will certainly return on our next visit to Shanghai.

3  Thank DEK649
Reviewed 16 July 2013

High expectation for our first time in the new hotel was more than fulfilled. Superb service we have known always with Mandarin Oriental in Singapore, Sanya, and Hong Kong was, no surprise, found yet again now in Shanghai, to our great pleasure. What we had not imagined, however, and had to experience to fully grasp and appreciate, was the extraordinary location on the river. The views are amazing, day and night, and out-the-door to serene river-edge walking and jogging is probably unique for the city. For dining, we enjoyed all three restaurants, which are sure to rank in stars whenever Michelin ratings will come to Shanghai.

2  Thank pbowronlajneuilly
Reviewed 16 July 2013

This is truly a fantastic hotel. In Pudong which is dominated by many new 5* high rise hotels this stands alone as an oasis of calm and not only that I think it also has the best facilities i have seen in any of the Cities Hotels.

The conference facilities are perfectly designed and high ceilings allow you to forget that you are underground.

The Spa and fitness centre has the best new equipment and so much space to relax.

The bedrooms are perfect - check out the round baths!

The restaurants are incredible - especially Yong Yi Ting.

And finally the serviced apartments are luxurious and such good value for money that if you have the opportunity to try them you will not be disappointed.

CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Dan C
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Spectacular end to an exotic trip in China. The location is excellent. Very easy to get to the Bund and other tourist areas. Its located within the financial zone so obviously a good match there.

******* I strongly recommend you eat at the Chinese restaurant there Yong Yi Ting. It is local-stype Chinese food and an incredibly diverse menu. The restaurant manager served as our meal concierge to help us pick a representative selection. We ate there three times! We also ate at the Zest restaurant at the Sunday Brunch.

Service everywhere was superlative.

A Tip: make sure to bing your bathing suit: the 25 meter pool is spectacular !

Room Tip: Go for the Concierge level. The "snacks" are spectacular
2  Thank travlindudeMiami
MO_Pudong, Public Relations Manager at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Dear TravlindudeMiami

Thank you very much for your fantastic review of Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai. We’re delighted to learn about your great culinary experiences in our Chinese restaurant, and your appreciation of the hospitality extended by our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Selina Chan
Director of Communications

Reviewed 14 July 2013

We had a weekend in Shanghai and thought we'd try the newly opened MO in Pudong. Only just opening its doors in April, I was expecting the usual problems that come with new hotels but not so with the MO. Attentive service but not intrusive, top notch facilities - the Technogym spec'ed gym and pool with its cabana rest areas are a class above the rest. Rooms need a little running-in as is expected with a few tiny problems but nothing to detract one from the MO experience. The hotel is located in a fairly new area of the Pudong financial district and may be hard to find for first timers but it is in a good location and close to the IFC. First rate and definitely one to return to or recommend without reservation.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family