“Wonderful service”

Ranked #1 of 5,035 Hotels in Shanghai
Shanghai, China
“Wonderful service”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Shanghai Mandarin Oriental Hotel is really a great hotel. My family exerienced it recently and we all agreed that we owe a gratitude to the hotel for its hospitality.

We, a couple with 2 young kids, checked in your Shanghai hotel on 8 Nov for 2 nights. We are no stranger to 5-star hotels, but are still very impressed by the quality of the services and the facilities.

8 Nov happens to be my wife's birthday and our 10th marriage anniversary. We received by surprise a lovely birthday cake, a toy for our kids, flowers and greeting card from the hotel. All sharp corners in the room are covered carefully by soft rubber pads to protect the children. Baby bathing items are also supplied without our request. This service delicacy and thoughtfulness have added much memory to our special days. We have used the facilities at the sport center, the car park, the restaurants and room services for meals and housekeeping. They are all consistently superb and wonderful.

After spending two happy nights, one could feel that the hotel management and its staff have made tremendous effort behind the scene to ensure the quality. We would also recommend highly this hotel to anyone who do not want his or her holidays being spoiled by a poor hotel service.

We are glad to have choosing this hotel for our important holidays. We will come back to Shanghai next year, and would not hesitate to stay in the same hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at higher floors facing the river Huan Pu and the Oriental Pearl Tower offer the best view
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
MO_Pudong, Director of Communications at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Martin_Ng2013,

Thank you very much for your positive comments about Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai! We are delighted to learn about your appreciation of our legendary hospitality, hotel facilities and amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel for another fantastic experience.

Director of Communications

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Stirling, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 8 November 2013

First off, make sure you book a room that includes the Mandarin Oriental Club. The selection of food there was incredible! The staff was also so nice and helpful! They really go out of your way to make sure every need is met. My boyfriend and I also booked a two day tour through the hotel and the tour guide (ask for Kenny Wang) was super informative! We stayed for 4 nights, but I wish we booked it for at least six! I would absolutely stay here again!

Room Tip: Make sure you walk along the river in the morning; it's relaxing and beautiful!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susana I
MO_Pudong, Director of Communications at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Susana I,

Thank you very much for this magnificent review of Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai! We are most grateful about your appreciation of our location and legendary hospitality. Meanwhile, we very much look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel. Take care.

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Shnaghai has many good hotel. The Mandarin Oriental is simply the best. We had great few days - good room, great view, friendly, caring, staff. Extraordinary. No other word for it. From the check-in, the Club, the restaurants, the room - all is the very best.

Room Tip: Choose a "Club" roo. Ask for the 23rd. floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dylan R
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I have stayed in hotels on 5 continents, and this was by far the best I've experienced. The hotel is new and everything is impeccably designed, but what makes it truly special is the staff. They are friendly, professional and cater to your every need. It's worth a few extra bucks to get the club lounge access; the staff in the club take service to a new level.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Fishbate77
Dear Fishbate77,

Many thanks for this flowing review of Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai! We are delighted to heard that you had an excellent stay and that you especially enjoyed the service here. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another fabulous visit!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 November 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights at the end of our two-week China trip after visiting Suzhou, Hangzhou, and climbing Huangshan. And it could not have been better.

We arrived early in the morning on an overnight train after just having finished our 2 day hike of Huangshan so we were absolutely beat. As soon as we arrived, everything was perfect. We had booked the Mandarin River Room with Club Access and it was completely worth it. First, as everyone has said, the service was just superb. They saw our tired faces and immediately ushered us into the Club Lounge for some breakfast while they got the paperwork for checking in ready. We were able to do the paperwork from our table while eating the best croissants I've had in China. Because of the overnight train ride, I was experiencing some eye contacts issues so they helpfully went to the nearest convenience store for us while we kept eating to purchase some more contact solution. The Club Access is definitely worth it, as you can eat there all day with the exception of dinnertime. Which is probably for the best since you want time to try out local Shanghai restaurants! We also had dinner at the 58 Degrees Grill in the hotel and that was also fantastic. Some of the best steak I've ever had, and the mashed potatoes (may have been puree) was delightfully buttery and delicious.

As for the room, it was definitely five-star quality. Our room was on the corner, so the view was very good. Can see the Pearl as well as the River. As others have said, I really appreciate that master off-switch right by the bed for those of us that get very lazy/tired late at night.

The location is far from the hustle and bustle of Shanghai , but it wasn't difficult to get anywhere. I'm from NYC so I'm used to public transportation and you can take the subway that's about a 10 minute walk from the hotel to just about anywhere in Shanghai. There's also an abundance of taxis out front as well.

All in all, this was a phenomenal experience and I'm definitely a convert to the MO brand. I usually like staying in boutique hotels for the impeccable service and attention to details but MO Shanghai had them all beat!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2013

It's a first hotel that make me feel like wanna give a good comments here. I have spent 2 nights in MO on 3rd to 5th November. I should said it will be my choice of hotel for my next visit to Shanghai.

From the moment I arrived MO around 10am morning it was absolute heaven. I feel so warm especially I came down from the cab the boy already wish me Miss Lee, welcome to mandarin oriental. It was so warm when you was greeted by a staff and feel like someone is waiting for you.

All I have to said about this hotel is wow, there must be more than 30 staffs I met in this hotels and they always had a smile on their face and would do everything for you. Im so glad that they are giving the same smile to my visitors.

The room, food and service is the best. It's actually a perfect location in lujiazhui which is just beside grand kempinski hotel and DBS bank. Hence I don't think its a bad location as it just a 15 mins walk to super brand mall or the staff can just simply call a taxi on behalf which is much more convenient.

If you are thinking of visiting shanghai I should say this is the BEST and you won't be dissapointet and I will be back hopefully on next year. I will just forgot others 5 star hotel in my list...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear Brenda L,

Thank you so much for this fantastic review of Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai! We are thrilled to learn about your appreciation of our legendary hospitality, rooms and food. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another fabulous visit!

Beijing, China
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Mandarin Oriental Pudong Shanghai really offers unforgettable experience to each guest, especially to those businessmen who've been travelling around the world. Its facility is brilliant, and its staff are unparalleled excellent --professinal, fast and sweet. Everybody is deeply impresseed with its food and gym, rooms and location. By the way, jogging along Shanghai's Huangpu River is so nice that I did it every morning. In-room entertainment is the best I've even experienced!

Room Tip: Rooms on the southwest offer you a unique view of Lujiazui Fanancial hub and the Bund.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business