Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai
US$113
US$379
US$246
  • Pool
The Langham Shanghai Xintiandi(Shanghai)
US$310
Orbitz.com
US$90
US$84
1,557 results
All reviewsthe club loungeyong yi tingzest restaurantfifty grillhouse carcake shopriver viewthe pearlluxury hotelfinancial districtmemorable stayspecial thankschinese new yearamazing hotelf bbeautiful roomifc mall
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Staying at the Mandarin Oriental in Pudong is a very relaxing and cathartic experience; from the moment I entered the hotel lobby, I was greeted as an old friend. The staff were very polite, professional and friendly without being overwhelmingly nice.

I was escorted to the Club Lounge for check in, and once there, given a welcome drink of a tantalizingly dry and sweet Riesling. The selection of food they laid out was amazing: from smoked salmon to fresh blueberries and the desserts... oh goodness, the desserts are practically orgasmic!

The room itself was breathtaking: floor to ceiling windows overlooking the Huangpu river; watching the ships cruise by was a great view to wake up to.
The suite was clean and way too comfortable, with a customized welcome-message and snacks waiting for me in the room: for a weary traveler, who had forgotten her iPhone charger, I was pleasantly surprised to find a iPod dock for recharging, as well as various HDMI cables to connect my macbook to the in-room TV should I wish to view movies from my laptop.

The 24-hour pool and gym are absolutely state of the art, with waitstaff in the bathrooms to provide drinks and cold towels (for the sauna and steam room) and a lounge area to just read and enjoy the relaxing spa music. I had great fun with the jacuzzi and enjoyed a really nice water-pressure massage.

If you're a smoker (I am, guilty!) though, this might not be the most convenient place to stay in. While I appreciate that the entire hotel is a no-smoking zone, which is great as the room I stayed in didn't have the musty, lingering smell of stale cigarettes, it was a bit of an inconvenience to have to go out of the hotel lobby to smoke. Fun if you're with a huge group of friends, or with other smokers, but boring and extremely annoying if you're alone.

That being said, MO in Pudong is definitely a place you'll want to stay at for a while; I checked in for a day and left thinking I wish I could stay longer. Definitely a place I'll want to come back to... and never leave.

Room Tip: executive suite is sweet!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank charlleythencharlley
MO_Pudong, Manager at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear charlleythencharlley,

Thank you very much for this magnificent review of Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai! We are most grateful about your appreciation of our facilities and high level of service. Meanwhile, we very much look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Yours sincerely,

Massimiliano Binda
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Do you want to experience an amazing hotel? You need to stay at the Mandarin Shanghai Hotel. The hotel will make sure you have a great experience and you will leave Shanghai thinking "when you can come back". The hotel is new and the decoration is contemporary-modern and done with an exquisite taste. More than that, the service is outstanding and the food very fresh and delicious. I have stay at many 5 star hotel (s) in the world as a good traveler that I am, and I have only experience this kind of service in very few hotels around our planet. Shanghai Mandarin Oriental is one of them.

Room Tip: I think any room has a great view. Though, you may like the view to the Pearl Tower!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jimolin
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Near perfect stay at Mandarin Oriental Shanghai. We stayed 5 nights in a Mandarin River View Room. It was fabulous! We already had high expectations, we stayed at MO in New York and Las Vegas and both were pretty perfect. But MO Shanghai is even better!

First is the service, as you may know in China service isn’t the best in hotels. But here the staff really went out of their way to make you feel welcome and to make sure everything is to your liking. It was the most genuine service we ever experience in any hotel in the world. There is so many staff members here to help you, any request you have they will figure out a way to make sure you get what you want. As someone mentioned in an earlier review, you can really see the staff is happy to work there and happy staff makes happy guests.

Our room was truly amazing, one of the nicest layout and decor I have seen. Very large and comfortable bed and amazing linens by Frette. The TV was big and of high quality, there was as well plenty of HD channels. The views were spectacular. The bathroom was unreal, big and beautiful. Great amenities as well, by Ormonde Jayne. There is also a walk in closet that has plenty of room for your luggages and clothes.

We visited the Spa Facilities and the pool on several occasions. Spectacular design, very relaxing, clean and smelled very good as well. The water facilities are all great, from hammam to the sauna, to the jacuzzi… etc It would’ve been nice if they had a Vitality Pool like in some other MO properties but that’s a small detail..

We tried most of the hotel restaurants. Yong Yi Ting (the Chinese restaurant) is very nice and the service was impeccable. Zest offers great buffets as well. We even grabbed a few pastries from the Cake Shop and they were excellent! Qi Bar had great drinks and a good ambience, amazing design as well.

The club floor was the cherry on top. From breakfast to lunch to afternoon tea to late meals.. All were very good. On top of this the alcohol selection was amazing, good wine, champagne, and drinks. All included with the Club access, which in my opinion is a must if you plan on spending some time in the hotel.

The location is convenient but maybe not the best in Shanghai. It is located in a slightly newer part of the Lujiazui area, but I am sure that this part will be soon more popular. The hotel offers private shuttle service to anywhere in the Lujiazui area.

All this comes at a price, but if you’re willing to splurge a little you will get more than what you pay for! When I go back to Shanghai, I will definitely go back to Mandarin Oriental.

Room Tip: River View Mandarin Room
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HG56
MO_Pudong, Manager at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear HG56,

Thank you very much for your positive comments about Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai! We are delighted to learn about your appreciation of our high level of service and hotel facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel for another fantastic experience.

Yours Sincerely,

Massimiliano Binda
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Rated number one on multiple review sites and for a very good reason. The best experience to date since I have been in China which is almost one year now.

The attention to detail is impressive, the interior is stunning, the Presidential Suite astounding!

What makes the difference and separates the Mandarin Oriental from other so called Five Star Hotels? The staff and the obviously very high level of training the staff have received. Top marks all round, congratulations to the management team on a magnificent achievement, an experience I will remember for a longtime to come and the new benchmark for how I view other hotels and restaurants.

When the Porter refers to you by name and you have only passed on your cloakroom ticket, that is special, thank you for caring......

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Room:
Facilities of highest standards, well-allocated rooms, great bathtub (Club room)
Staff:
truly anticipating, discreet and always at service
Club:
Shanghais biggest and best club lounge (truly deserved), spacious, yet intimate, great selection of reading (coffee-table books library on Shanghai, Art, Fashion etc. "Taschen heaven"), Restaurant-quality selection of meals
Qi Bar:
Subtle ambiance, excellent drinks (loved the "French Concession")

I used to stay neighboring 5star hotels in Lujiazui, but all I appreciated in them (anticipative service, excellent facilities, flawless Lounge and business center services...) I find at the Mandarin Oriental combined on a new level. The best choice for Shanghai!

Room Tip: Club rooms are spacious and boast stunning views!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business