“A Sensorium of Luxury”

Ranked #1 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Shanghai, China
“A Sensorium of Luxury”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Ever wondered how Royalty felt?

Come to Mandarin Oriental in Shanghai and you won't have to wonder anymore...

From check-in to check-out, every single staff member made it their personal business to ensure my comfort and relaxation. Everything from the check in, to the suite, to the spa, and to the bars and restaurants, was perfectly streamlined and flowed so smoothly it seemed as if it had been rehearsed. There were art figures and creative architectural shapes around each corner and the whole place seemed to be lightly scented with essential oils. It truly was a sensorium of bliss.

SUITE
The room was comfortable and very large, with a sitting room, a main bedroom, and a very large bathroom with a large shower/bathtub room on one end, the mirror/vanity section in the middle, and the toilet in separate room on the other end. All of the blinds and lights could be controlled from a remote control on the wall, instantly changing the aura of the room from "daytime" and "night time" light settings, or revealing the breathtaking city and river view by pulling back the blinds. I especially loved large "party bathtub" that could easily fit 2 or more people and had a personal TV facing the tub. I also very much appreciated the warm welcome note with instructions to the room that awaited me as soon as I walked in.

The CHECK-IN/BUSINESS LOUNGE
For certain VIP and extremely lucky individuals, the tasty treats and libations of the Check-In/Business Lounge are available free of cost. The food was of top restaurant quality including but not limited to sushi, French cheeses, Spanish meats and olives, Indian style curry vegetables, Chinese baozi and porridge, an assortment of finger sandwiches, and a large selection of tarts and cakes for deserts. Happy hour was from 6-8pm and included every kind of Spirit, wine, and/or liquor you could imagine. I would start with a mimosa for breakfast, a glass of Riesling during lunch, and a Gin and Tonic to drink during dinner.

SPA/POOL/LOUNGE
One of my favorite parts of the Mandarin Oriental was the Spa and pool lounge. The Spa had its own check-in lobby with a spa shop and its own display of fountains and art sculptures. When you enter the spa you are greeted with attentive staff that assist you to the lockers where you can change into a comfortable King-style robe. The Spa had both a steam room and a dry sauna with iced face towels to rub over your body awaiting you outside the sauna. The Spa also had an assortment of showers as well as the magnificent Rainshower that offered the traditional rainshower with scented scope, a cold mist setting, and side spouts that offered its own water massage. This water massage concept also appeared in the hot tubs next to the pools, as a number of fountains could be turned on and used to massage your neck and back while in the tub. The pool was long and shallow, perfect for swimming laps, and had a very luxurious lounge area with bed-like sofa couches and an assortment of magazines available for its guests.

All in all it was a spectacular experience. I loved escaping the noise and pollution of the city, into a separate world of luxury and bliss. You could very well spend the entire vacation at the Mandarin Oriental and ignore the surrounding city.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

The moment my car pulled over to the hotel, the staff threw me the warmest welcome. The checkin process was streamlined, the team, literally everyone exudes pride and quality.

I had to work all Friday in my suite. Watching the ships cruised by during my business Skype calls (very stable wifi) while sipping their in-room Illy coffee and tea left me nothing to complain about. Room service was prompt and they delivered what I've asked for.

Everything in the room is well appointed and of top notch design. The attention to details is unmatchable comparing to other neighbouring same-grade hotel (and I am a fan of Park Hyatt!): in-room laundry pickup window (so the staff can drop off your cleaned garment without interrupting you), audio/HDMI cables with the stationery valet, exquisite tea sets. Not that I use them but it does make me feel special knowing I'm under great hands. O, and I love their Shanghai Tang toiletries as well as their robes (both sleeping and bath robes)

I finally unwind myself in their bathtub with the river view as my backdrop with the tv above me streaming local news. When the lady came in for the turn down service, I do not feel intrusive and I really feel at home. My previous 24-hour traveling exhaustion literally melted away during my stay at MO and I was up refreshed and recharged. The spa treatment on the following day was just as exquisite.

Room Tip: get the club suite!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

The Hotel is well run, the rooms are spacious and well appointed and the restaurants are of quality...however the downside is that the location is in the Pudong CBD and as such the area is very quiet and not ideal if you have business in Shanghai which is a twenty minute taxi ride away

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Laurence J
MO_Pudong, Manager at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Laurence J,

Thank you for staying with us at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai and we greatly appreciate your detailed feedback which have been shared with our team. In reference to your comment on the hotel location, we are pleased to let you know that the hotel provides complimentary single-way shuttle service within the Lujiazui district. Apart from the above, I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay and restaurant experience with us. My colleagues and I look forward to the immense pleasure of welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai in the not too distant future.

Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Because this hotel's building is not so big, and around this hotel there is almost nothing but the Huang Pu river, if you aim to enjoy the facilities or neighborhood of this hotel by walk, this is not your choice. You have to take taxis to do everything (shopping, eating, sightseeing, and so on) outside.
But the service is excellent! You'll understand the reason why the Mandarin Oriental Hotels are loved around the world. Each traveller can feel you are the special guest.
This is the first time for me to find that all the corners of the tables in my room are covered by cushionings to protect babies (I had let the hotel know that I would bring a baby by an e-mail in advance.), there was a bathrobe for babies, there was a letter from the staffs, there was a cooky on which my baby's name was written, the most luxurious baby bed I've ever seen was set in my room, and there were so many smiling staffs in the building.
This is an enjoyable moment to stay this hotel.

Room Tip: River view room is recommended.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 8Shanghai
MO_Pudong, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear 8Shanghai,

Thank you for staying with us at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai and we greatly appreciate your detailed feedback which have been shared with our team. In reference to your comment on the hotel location, we are pleased to let you know that the hotel provides complimentary single-way shuttle service within the Lujiazui district. Apart from the above, I am glad that you had an excellent stay and you especially enjoyed the service here. My colleagues and I look forward to the immense pleasure of welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai in the not too distant future.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Absolutely perfect hotel experience. From the minute you enter the serene lobby, the attentive - but never obsequious service will amaze, surprise and delight you. Nothing is too much trouble. And it is done, perfectly first time, every time.

Entering the room in the dark and seeing the view revealed by a triggered reveal of curtains automatically swept aside is actually less corny than it sounds!

The bed is perfect. The linen is perfect. The amenities in the room are perfect. The vanity kits, combs, soaps, lotions and options are perfect. The coffee is great.

Housekeeping can be quietly repressed in their urges to make up the room by the privacy button on the ambient light and curtain control panel.

And how, how will I ever take a bath again without a TV at the foot of the tub?

If I could stay here forever, I would.

PS. Did I mention the food is perfect too?

Room Tip: Ask for a river view. Beautful.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank GranmaEm
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

What an experience! We have seen and stayed at many deluxe hotels in Europe and the US. I don't pretend to be a worldwide travel expert, but I doubt that a property of this quality can be found. The quality of design and finishings is untouchable. In your room, you might think that you had struck it rich, with the beautiful deluxe appointments. And I mean of residential, not hotel, calibre. The exceptional modern design, executed with skill and top-notch materials, does not forget subtle Asian motifs. It appears that no expense was spared as to large and small matters, down to the most minute detail of high-grade decorative objects.

Definitely book a Club room. The amenities in the Club lounge are astonishing, making the additional cost a laughing matter.

Normally, I'm not prepared to pay for a view. But this one was worth it, our being greeted in our room with a stunning expansive riverside view of old Shanghai.

The room design overcomes my pet peeve with hotel rooms (other than suites). Instead of opening up from the hall directly into the bedroom, there is a small foyer, clearly delineating the front door from the living area.

The service is impeccably attentive.

I hope we have an excuse to come back to Shanghai in order to have the unique experience of staying in this hotel.

Tip: Unless you book a hotel pickup from the airport, ensure that you have the hotel name and address written in Chinese. The cab drivers are not linguists.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BARRY T
Dear CarlbarryToronto,

Thank you very much for your positive comments about Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai! We are delighted to learn about your appreciation of our high level of service, hotel facilities and amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel for another fantastic experience.

Essex, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

this place is amazing defo recommend the city is amazing, we couldn't believe it when we arrived the value for money was exceptional the food wasn't too good but nevertheless i would still return no problem

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo