“Disappointed”

Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai
Ranked #1 of 5,146 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We were disappointed with the hotel. I booked it since it was rated #1 in Shanghai.

The location is definitely inconvenient if you want to tour the city such as the Bund. It is at least a 25 minute ride in the taxi just to go through the tunnel to the other side of the city.

We booked the Mandarin River View room with access to the club lounge. Unlike most club lounges, you can only order alcohol during the two hour cocktail hour or else they will charge you. They were nice in the club lounge, however, the service was so over board that they made you feel uncomfortable.

They offered the house car if you want to go a few blocks one way. The club lounge called for the house car. They said it was available. By the time we went downstairs (less than 5 minutes), they let someone else use the car. The ATM machine in the hotel was broken, we had to use the one in another hotel 15 minutes away. We will not stay here on our next visit.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Sophie B
MO_Pudong, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Sophie B,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we appreciate your feedback.

We are sorry to hear about any uneasiness we may have caused you and your party whilst at the Club Lounge. I have personally reviewed your observations with our team as a source of opportunity and improvement.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the other issues you brought up which is by no means a true reflection of our typical high standards of service. Kindly rest assured those items will be reviewed and appropriate actions taken to ensure similar situations do not occur again. Needless to say I hope to have the occasion to speak with you personally, and will see to it that you have my contact details.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you to the hotel again in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Hotel Manager
Massimiliano Binda

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I've stayed at some pretty great hotels in my day but I have to say that this one was at the top. Went to Shanghai for pleasure and chose this hotel based on the reviews. I was not disappointed. For a starter, when I arrived at the hotel I realized that I had lost my passport after clearing immigration. The next day when it became clear what a hassle this would become, Yvonne the manager on duty got in a cab and personally escorted us to the Police Statin to file a report as well as the Visa office. Every individual that we encountered at the hotel was detail oriented and genuinely concerned about our predicament. The property is gorgeous and our room remarkable. 20th floor with a beautiful view of the trademark skyline. If you like a firm mattress like I do, this one was perfect. Like another reviewer I agree that the only thing needed to make the room perfect is a Toto Washlet. Having been introduced to them in Tokyo a couple of years ago they're easy to get used to...
The bar makes a great Bloody Mary and the Hamburger there one of the best that I've ever had. The adjacent highly rated "Fifty Eight degree" restaurant is quite elegant without being pretentious. The food and service memorable. We had no time to experience the Spa services as we spent most extra time trying to replace the Passport/Visa. :( I'd highly recommend the hotel's limo service. leaving the Visa office at 1130am for a 145pm departure was a bit stressful. The hotel rep met the car and helped move us through check-in up to security in minutes. It was great! In summary, this was one of those rare trips where you almost want to return to the city just to go to the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hayden40
Reviewed 15 March 2014

It was just a wonderful stay! My check in was very smooth at the club lounge, with a selection of welcome drinks. My check out was going to be very early the next day and the staff at check in made all arrangements for me not to worry about anything. They even prepared me a "snack" breakfast for take away so I get something to eat. That was a really nice touch!!!! And really appreciated. They also had a taxi waiting for me.
The room was superb! All you can expect from a 5 star hotel (unlike the Marina Sands in Singapore!) with a wonderful view of the river.
The club lounge at dinner had a great and simple buffet with the best cheese and truffles raviolis I had in many many years. Compliments to the Chef!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The hotel was everything you'd expect from a 5-star location. However, what made our stay at this hotel stand-out so much was the level of service we experienced from the staff. Everyone from the door staff, to the front desk to the restaurant staff were absolutely outstanding. The service industry is still very nascent in China and at many other high-class locations it can often be found to be 'rough-around-the-edge' (to say the least in some cases), but at the MO it was impeccable. Our 2 year old was recognized an interacted with everywhere we went. The restaurant staff kept our table on reservation for us and the front desk knew us by name!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank David H
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The pudong location may not be ideal for first time visitors to shanghai, but for frequent business travelers this luxury hotel is quite ideal. I love the discreet river front entrance which oozes exclusivity, and the proximity to the promenade along the river provides a convenient place for a walk or a jog. I stayed in a "club mandarin river view" room and it comes with all the usual amenities you'd expect from a five star hotel, but what I love the most is the gigantic round fish bowl like bath tub, from where you can get sweeping views of the river and part of puxi's skyline. I also love that the room comes with HDMI cables, iPhone/iPod cables and audio cables. And the slippers are just heavenly plushy. The pool area downstairs is gorgeous and opens 24 hours which is a big plus for me, and the main Chinese restaurant of the hotel has some of the best versions of my favorite dishes. Service is just top notch. This is the first hotel I stayed at where everyone knows my name and by the second day of my stay they knew what I needed at different times of the day before I asked. The club lounge offers an array of *really fresh* and high quality bread cheese canapes and fruits all day, and in the evening unlimited cocktails and wines including duval leroy champagne. The bar in the lounge is surprisingly well stocked and I loved that I could make my own cocktails. My "club level" room comes with lounge access already, but I'd be more than willing to pay the extra 300rmb per day to gain access. All in all my three day stay was blissful and I wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank THEZZL
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I have stayed in many luxury hotels during my trips and none of the hotels have prompted me to write a review like what I am going to do for Mandarin Oriental Shanghai.

Excellent service since I alighted from the cab to checking out!
I was short of small change to pay the cab driver when I arrived and the conceirge promptly assisted me. Receptionist Zoe (hope i spelt her name correctly) was very efficient and very attentive. She quickly completed the check in procedure and led me to my room asking several times if I have any special request to make my stay more comfortable since I will be staying for 10 nights. On the second day, I tried requesting for a humidifier in my room due to the cold n dry weather and to my surprise, the humidifier was placed in my room when I returned that evening. Well done!
I would like to specially mention the F&B managers David & Jay. My 1st experience when I had ala carte dinner at the restaurant, I did not finished my meal as it was too oily for my taste. Jay was so apologetic and kept offering me dessert or fruits which I rejected politely. Jay decided to waive my bill for that meal. On my 2nd visit to the same restaurant, both Jay & David recognised me immediately. However, this time I requested for mushroom soup which was not in the menu. David managed to speak to the chef to specially prepare that for me. Their service was remarkable.
The room, the facilities, the food are all excellent, however it is the staff that really marks the TOP rating! Well done again Mandarin Oriental! I have nothing but praises for you.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank RebeccaTLE
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed there for 2 nights in a suite for my birthday. The hotel at the time had only been opened for less than 6 months but the service was impeccable. I received a birthday cake in my room as well as when dining at the steakhouse downstairs. Also, when I went swimming, I realized I had forgotten to bring my hairband and tried my luck by asking for a simple rubber band to tie up my hair. To our pleasant surprise, we were presented with a nicely presented hair elastic band in a small clear plastic bag. That's details!

The location is very secluded and quiet but convenience wise it's not. How wet it depends on what you are looking for. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013
MO_Pudong, Manager at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

HKLouise

Thank you very much for your positive comments about Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai! We are delighted to learn about your appreciation of our high level of service. In reference to your comment on the hotel location, we are pleased to let you know that the hotel provides complimentary single-way shuttle service within the Lujiazui district. Apart from the above, I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay and restaurant experience with us. My colleagues and I look forward to the immense pleasure of welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,