“Look no further - My Shanghai Favourite”

Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai
Ranked #1 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Hong Kong, China
“Look no further - My Shanghai Favourite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

I’ve stayed in many hotels across Shanghai but the Mandarin Oriental Pudong reset my benchmark for a 5 star experience. From the moment you arrive, the attention to detail and the quality of service provided by the staff is second to none. The rooms are very spacious and offer all the required and unexpected amenities including an incredible assortment of adaptors and cables for all of your electronic gadgets and gizmos.

The Club lounge is a must if you plan to spend a significant amount of time in the hotel or if you’re travelling with your spouse. It’s a fantastic relaxing space to unwind, read a book, have a glass of wine or just distress after a long day. The staff members are all attentive and very welcoming.

If you are looking for a gym and pool this is the best I’ve seen in an urban hotel. Typically hotels take a careful photo across the gym in to a mirror so that the space looks twice as big. That’s not the case here - they have plenty of cardio machines; exercise stations; free weights; jump ropes, there is a separate studio (with classes) that even has boxing gloves and sparring pads... And let’s not forget the pool. A proper pool – 25meters and heated and the changing area has steam and sauna rooms. It's open 24 hours a day so jetlag or sù zuì recovery has never been so easy.

I could go on and on but having stayed at more than a dozen different 5 star hotels across Shanghai there is really no need to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: I recommend upgrading to Club access
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Nassau, Bahamas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

We have been to various Mandarin Oriental Hotel and are unwed to the excellent service proved by them. The Mandarin Oriental confirmed our experience. We booked a Club Room and the room was spacious with a lovely view of the river. The lounge is excellent and the staff ready to satisfy all your wished. We would like to express our thanks to all the staff for making our stay so comfortable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
MO_Pudong, Manager at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear bahamas333,

Thank you very much for this magnificent review of Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai! We are most grateful about your appreciation of our facilities and high level of service. Meanwhile, we very much look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Had a great weekend at the hotel. Rooms are gorgeously appointed (all of the rooms have the latest technology installed), the staff are excellent and I particularly enjoyed the spa. We had an amazing time, would highly recommend it to others. I loved this hotel!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MrPanda212
MO_Pudong, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear MrPanda212,

Thank you very much for your positive comments about Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai! We are delighted to learn about your appreciation of our high level of service and hotel facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel for another fantastic experience.

Yours Sincerely,

Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

The first seven nights:
Elegant, sophisticated, high level of professionalism in hotel business - all what I expected and received at this hotel.
Airport arrival - Hotel car pickup and luggage handling by hotel personal, relaxing drive.
Smooth & personalized check-in process from the moment stepping out from the car - greeted by guest assistance and immediatelly escorted to my room. Personalized passport and room amenities information - very nice after twenty hours travel!
Large sized room, comfortable bed, elegant bathroom amenities, excellent cleaning service.
Breakfast at the LG level restaurant - a perfect start for long days. Huge selection of oriental and continental cuisine, non-stop service by weiters, breakfast made by order quickly.
From the second day on I was greeted by my name everywhere - at the lobby, in the restaurant - nice feeling!
Exchanged currency at the lobby desk several times - swift and correct service. The desk manager Viki was my favorite - she organized all my requests on the highest quality level on the shortest possible time - excellent job!
Concierge service is top of the line - ordered tickets, cabs - immediate response and result. Very effective.
The Second single night:
After I returned to Mandarin Oriental Hotel - from a two city trip in two other hotels - I were geeated as I'm returning home - and it was really felt on that way!
And on my surprise, I was upgraded to Club Member level with privilages - that was very nice gesture by hotel management - perfect closure for a long trip.
Summary:
I will returning about a few months again - to my new home in Shanghai - Mandarin Oriental Hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Bela M,

Thank you very much for your positive comments about Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai! We are delighted to learn about your appreciation of our high level of service. My colleagues and I look forward to the immense pleasure of welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai in the not too distant future.

Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

I stayed one night at this hotel for a business trip. The service of course was top of the line, as all staff managers and most others could speak English quite well. The room itself was quite well decorated and the bed, very comfy. I ordered room service from their very extensive in-room menu. The 2 items I ordered could have been more reasonably priced, considering the of the plates. But other than that, the one night stay pretty seamless, enjoyable and hassle free.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Michael W,

Thank you very much for this magnificent review of Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai! We are most grateful about your appreciation of our high level of service. Meanwhile, we very much look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

The bed is hard compare to W hotel, but very comfortable. When I asked for hot oatmeal at breakfast, they asked for the type of milk I prefer and immediately made it. Best slippers from any hotel. Service is professional and excellent. The gym is huge and clean. I only stayed one night but would definitely return in the future. Location is not central, but a good choice if you are heading to PVG airport.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

I stayed two nights at the MO Pudong in a Club River View room. It is a very nice hotel. The bath products and linens are fantastic. The safe is at eye-level (a minor detail but one I have come to appreciate) and there's a tv over the bathtub. The pool and spa facilities are really great although I had a bit of a language problem. I kept asking for the hot tub or jacuzzi (I used both words) and was repeatedly told they had neither, but then I was eventually shown the pool area and there was the hot tub! I had an excellent massage and facial at the spa and would recommend it.

I would like to particularly mention Emma and Miker in the Club Lounge as being particularly helpful and friendly and just totally lovely during my stay, helping me with transport, printing things, tours, etc.

So...I hate to make a list of cons because really, this is a gorgeous hotel with excellent service, but I feel like some of the reviews are vague and I want to be specific with you:

The hotel is in Pudong. If you are familiar with London, this is like coming to London to see Buckingham Palace, but staying in Canary Wharf. If you are a tourist, staying in Pudong means that you will need to either
1. HOPE the hotel car can take you to the metro and take the metro into town
2. Walk to the metro (about 15 minutes across busy intersections), and remember Shanghai pollution is intense.
3. Take a taxi into town, which means taking the tunnel which is two lanes and painfully slow during rush hour. (Although taxis are cheap.) I took a taxi home from dinner in Xintiandi one night after dinner and it was cheap and fast, but I would not try that during rush hour.

I had a couple of issues with the hotel car. Once, the hotel told me (similar to a previous reviewer) that the car would be available in 5 minutes. 20 minutes later and still no car. Another time, they told me to forget about the hotel car and just take a taxi to the metro. For a hotel of this caliber, I would expect more...like maybe they could use technology to geo-locate the cars and message with them or something.

Other thoughts...
One of the reasons why I like club floors is that you usually end up talking to someone interesting at breakfast or cocktails. However...the lounge was oddly empty during my stay. I saw max four other people at one time while I was in there. The staff told me that they were very busy with requests from people staying on club floors, but I honestly never saw these guests.

I had the same problem as a previous reviewer with the cash machine in the lower lever. Firstly, even when you select English, the machine is mostly in Chinese. Then, I finally made it through all the screens with help from someone from the business center and no money. I knew enough to go up to reception and ask for a cash advance rather than have my taxi drive me around on my way to the airport, looking for an ATM.

Ah, the food in the club floor...I felt that it could be better. I was very spoiled by the delicious food in the club lounge at the Intercontinental Saigon, where I had stayed just prior to my trip to Shanghai. While I appreciated that the MO wanted me to have a salad, I wanted lots and lots of dumplings and noodles instead. Maybe a lot of tourists like Western food, but I wanted more Shanghai! The mushroom bisque was nice though.

Hotel room fittings...a previous reviewer mentions that the hotel fittings seem a little sloppy, and I would agree. I was surprised by the imperfections in a hotel of this quality. The tilework, the woodwork...everything was high quality, but not 100%. Maybe I have spent too much time in Germany.

So...I want to really emphasize that this is a great "staycation" type of hotel. A great place to go if you just want to spa and relax forever. My four star rating is based mainly on the location, which being outside of town, makes for challenges in touring.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Krista N
MO_Pudong, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear KristaInLondon,

Thank you for your detailed review of Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai. It is obvious that you are a well-traveled individual with a very discerning eye for quality. I sincerely appreciate your kind feedback about our service in particular on Club which I look forward to share with our colleagues as I am certain this will further motivate them to delight and satisfy our guests.

On a different note, I am disappointed to learn about the difficulties you encountered with our house car and ATM machine and please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience caused and negative impression.

Apart from the above, I am delighted to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us and greatly appreciate your kind patronage. My colleagues and I look forward to the immense pleasure of welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai should your travel brings you back in the near future on either business or leisure purpose.