“Can I rate higher than the '5' offered? Wow...this hotel is perfect!”

Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai
Ranked #1 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Can I rate higher than the '5' offered? Wow...this hotel is perfect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

This is my 5th trip to Shanghai this year, and my first stay at the Mandarin. Although i have been coming to Shanghai for many years, i finally found the time to visit this new hotel.

My arrival in Shanghai started with some excitement. I took a cab from the train station to the hotel. Although i am usually very careful to take only licensed cabs, something was different about this driver. He was arguing with another driver after i entered the cab, and he covered the meter with a book. I knew i was going to overpay this time. As we e the hotel, he wanted to drop my a block away....and as i got out, police surrounded us. He was arrested and i was interviewed. The police were following us from the train station. The reason for this story in a hotel rating? As i was approached by the police, one of them went to the hotel to inform them of my arrival.

Yvonne and her team came from the hotel to help with the situation. They took my bags, talked with the very nice police officers...and escorted me to the hotel. (The police asked for a bit of extra help from me, and Yvonne assisted). This was the start of my PERFECT 3 night stay at the new Mandarin Oriental. Yvonne and her associates were WONDERFUL! THey were helpful, warm and quickly made me feel at home.

The hotel is located on the Pudong side of Shanghai amidst many corporate headquarters. The Mandarin is a short 15 minute walk from the Pearl Tower and large shopping centers.

The Club lounge is exceptional. Wonderful meal offerings are accented with perfect service and asian hospitality. The Club room itself is beautiful, comfortable and offers stunning views of the river area.

My room at the Mandarin was one of the finest i have ever stayed in. My suite overlooked the river, with a large bathroom and soaking tub. The bath had perfect views of the city from all 3 'rooms' within the bath and featured a recessed plasma screen across from the tub. I havent used a bath in 20 years, but i was tempted with the views...and the Television. The rain shower really made my day though...!

Amenities were bountiful. Great products from Shanghai Tang accented the bath experience, 3 televisions in the suite, CD player, walk in closet, bar, automated lighting systems and window coverings. WOW!

I had the opportunity to try two of the restaurants....and both were SUPERB. This review is getting a bit long though....so thats all i will say about the food offerings. They are great!

The health club was wonderful, but the swimming pool and wet areas were absolutely stunning. This is one of the most beautiful swimming pools in the world. I loved it.

If there was one small issue at the hotel, it might be that sometimes the service was a bit 'too much'. In the health club, i had to be asked to be left alone....and sometimes i was overwhelmed with 'assistance' in just trying to walk out of the hotel.

Nonetheless, this hotel is warm and wonderful. It joins my list of favorites, and i look forward to returning the the Mandarin Oriental in the months to come.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have to be amazing, but i would ask for a River View room.....
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
MO_Pudong, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear JamesE339,

Thank you very much for your positive comments about Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai! We are delighted to learn about your appreciation of our high level of service. My colleagues and I look forward to the immense pleasure of welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Long week end in Shanghai. It was raining which made a great reason to enjoy the room and 24/7 25m swimmimg pool. Location is in Pudong on river but in fast developping area north of TV tower (most other hotels tends to be south) owned by State company Citic. a minivan is available to drop you anywhere in same area (metro, ferry to the bund etc), Our promotion included a Suite with river view (by opposition to city view) which was very nice. We discovered a bottle of wine in the room that was not on the bar menu and after checking with staff they said we could have it. Great F&B options including some tables outside (which obviously we could not use that week end). Would recommend if your budget allows club floor allowing a very nice and quiet full floor lounge (with same choice as breakfast). Most staff great esp club lounge (wow!!) including bellboy (except they could not advance me 40CNY for taxi at arrival from Maglev station - sending me to reception for currency exchange first. Ferry pier next door (great red lighting in the night) to Puxi but not exactly to the bund (need to use minivan to another ferry pier nearby). Truly great 'urban retreat' experience overall. Plenty of events seem to happen given space available

• Stayed April 2014
MO_Pudong, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear NICOLAS N,

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Simply wonderful , zero complaints , perfect stay in Shangahi - Spacious room with great river view, even bathroom also had huge bathtub and fabulous views -The service is excellent and very helpful and pleasant . I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sanssoucis13
Curzay-sur-Vonne, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

The best hotel I've stayed in Shanghai ever!!!!! Spacious room with great river view, even bathroom also had huge bathtub and fabulous view. The staffs are pleasant and friendly. I love buffet here. Food was really delicious, so I tried every food although I was in diet.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank ggodoa
Dear ggodoa,

Thank you very much for your positive comments about Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai! We are delighted to learn about your appreciation of our high level of service and hotel facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel for another fantastic experience.

Orange County, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed here for two nights while on vacation in Shanghai. We were on the Club Level. The hotel is perfect! The room is spacious and very comfortable. We had an amazing view of the Pearl Tower. The service is wonderful. I would highly recommend this hotel. The only negative reviews I have read/heard were in regards to the location. It is a 15 minute walk to a subway station and the central shopping areas of Pudong. I found the location to be a positive as its in a quieter area and a bit away from everyone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank madera99
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Simply one of the best hotels I've stayed at in Asia. Faultless service. Spacious room with great views over the Bund. Bathroom in particular was very impressive, being able to look out over the river from the enormous bathtub. My girlfriend also tells me the toiletries from London were some of the best hotel toiletries she's ever used!

One particular touch I enjoyed - each evening a small snack was brought to the room during turn-down service - egg tarts, char sui puffs, chocolate truffles. All delicious - in particular coming back to discover those egg tarts after a night out was very welcome indeed.

The dim sum restaurant on the lower floor was also excellent. The buffet restaurant however was more average in terms of quality vs. the price.

My only small gripe about this hotel was the location. Because relatively new at the time, most taxi drivers had trouble finding it. There was also a (very) small surcharge on any taxis called from the lobby because the entrance of the hotel is out of the way for taxi drivers. Whilst this was only a few RMB, it would have been a nice touch for the hotel to have this covered with the taxi company instead of the guests.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
MO_Pudong, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Daniel L,

Thank you for staying with us at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai and we greatly appreciate your detailed feedback which have been shared with our team. In reference to your comment on the hotel location, we are pleased to let you know that the hotel provides complimentary single-way shuttle service within the Lujiazui district for our guests. Apart from the above, I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us and greatly appreciate your kind patronage. My colleagues and I look forward to the immense pleasure of welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here while we were in Shanghai for business last weekend. In the interest of complete disclosure we reserved and stayed in a Club Room with upgraded amenities and access to the Club Lounge with VIP service. We had to coax the cab driver into going “a little further” twice before we found the driveway to the hotel lobby. This was the only negative experience of the weekend. I highly suggest you have the local number of the hotel and encourage your cabby to call once he gets confused, and he will get confused. Once inside our check-in process was smooth and we were immediately invited to enjoy the dinner buffet and free cocktail hour in the club lounge (yes, pay the extra for a Club Room, it is worth it). I have personally had more bad experiences with hotel rooms in China than good, so it is always refreshing to have a positive and clean experience. The room was very clean and all included amenities functioned. A quick note is that you may want help setting up the included clothes iron the night before. In my morning rush to de-wrinkle my shirt I didn’t leave sufficient time to figure out how to use it. The saddest moment was checking out, but my wife hopes to stay here again should business needs allow it.

Room Tip: The hotel is removed from the hustle and bustle of Pudong, very quiet. Ask for a view of the river.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business