“Better than most western animal parks!”

Shanghai Wild Animal Park
Ranked #48 of 1,323 things to do in Shanghai
Reviewed 15 April 2014

As always when I'm reading other reviews and the spread is enormous is seems everyone have an opinion of how a animal park should be run or something else...

I always ask myself if I could return and put that as a example of someting is good or not.
To this park I would certainly get back!

Positive:
Nice surroundings. Lots of flowers now in the spring.
Well maintained
Nice animal kindergarten - lovely newborn tiger (2014-04-04)
Strange animals I never seen before
Good distance to everything
Not overpriced soda,food,etc.. like other western parks

Negative:
Lots of school classes
Chinese childrens are loud
Chinese children doesn't have any respect for wild animals
No good shows
No western toilets - bring paper with you

There are 3 restaurants and lots of snacks available. If you "like" chines food and candy.

Took Metro line 16 to Animal Park and planned to take the bus for the last stretch- it never came so I took the offer from one of the non cab drivers - 10RMB for 5 minutes driver. You can walk also - maybe 15-20 minutes. The Metro ride from the city is looong - be prepared that it takes time.

3  Thank J0rgen
There are newer reviews for Shanghai Wild Animal Park

Reviewed 24 March 2014

the transport is quite easy because shanghai has a new metro line which is line 16. after getting of the metro, you can take the bus number six (only 2 stops) and you will arrive exactly at the front gate. but actually the number of the animals aren't so much. so it's quite boring and it's better to bring your own food . but the lemur island is worth to visit and they also have the dog and camel race. so interesting bcs it's the first time for me to watch that kind of race :)

3  Thank angel k
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

It is good place especially if you are with your kids, they can feed some of the animals around 12:00 to 2:00 PM with just little amount .
You can find panda . Go there as soon as you can because it get crowded at lunch time as peopel like to picnic there.

2  Thank L54
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Animals are suffering all over China from this cruel form of entertainment, Drugged, beaten, de-clawed, de-toothed and humiliated.

14  Thank RiEmErTje
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Having been to Shanghai Zoo in 2009 we thought we would try the up close and personal experience described on tripadvisor now that we had come back with our 3 children.

Because we arrived in winter the park was fairly empty, we walked up to the buses and ended up on one that took us through the large wildlife section with Lions and Black bears that seemed to wonder up to the bus a little sadly and stare. From previous posts it seems that once they use to be fed by the buses travelling through. I couldn't help feeling sad for these poor majestic creatures seemingly confused by their role in their superficial environment. If this was all that there had been I would have left feeling really upset... but thankfully there was a huge redeeming feature!

We stumbled across the Limur sanctuary across a quaint little bridge where I believed we could have a photograph with a Limur. I was ecstatically surprised that this island was inhabited by hundreds of little communes of Limurs dying to jump on us for food and have cuddles (Oh their gorgeous little hands on our faces!!!). Sadly the Chinese children seemed only to want to scream at them and frighten them but they seemed to know from our cuddles that we were safe and kept running and jumping on us to hide behind our backs. We spent an hour in this enclosure and our boys were in heaven (ok, I was a little more jumping on the clouds of Madacascar heaven!). They ate from our hands and looked right in to our eyes and stroked our faces. We were in awe and maybe they were too as they met people who werent trying to scare them!

The Tiger and Lion show I wish we had missed. These poor huge beasts in a tiny circus cage looked genuinely furious with their violent whip-feisty trainers and I rekon the Lioness wanted to eat the one bloke who kept whipping her each time she wouldn't get on the tiny bar and cooperate with the dumb shenanigans. Miss that show. My six year old son was distraught at how sad the bg cats were doing tricks on wobbly dirty wheels and bars.

The elephants enclosure was far too small and right beside the 'do not feed' sign a Chinese woman held out a snickers bar and fed the elephant who seemed a little like she had some serious mental health problems rocking back and forth repetitively. The grounds were so huge that some of the enclosures for the larger animals were just pathetic. Having said that, most enclosures were huge and well thought out but I think they just put a lot of thought in to the animals that brought the biggest national audience.

We were quite distressed by the anteaters walking on bleeding knuckles in tiny glass cages that were filthy and freezing. All of them were walking manically around their cages bleeding all over their cages. Not great for the kids.

The rides were overpriced but fun.

All in all, worth the visit. Purely for the Limurs. We like to move it move it!!!

8  Thank KJMudder