This Hotel is Great. We stayed for 3 nights whilst in Shanghai for the F1, and it was very comfortable.
We arrived late (11pm) and the reception is open 24/7. The lady on reception was in the middle of an argument with a chinese customer. But this is what chinese people do so we didn't think twice about this. We were however concerned about waiting 15 mins to check-in, whilst they finished arguing. They had a Porter who took our luggage to our room for us which was delightful. He was professional and we could tell he had a lot of banter. However, we did have to wait whilst they erected the extra bed that we booked.
The Hotel and rooms are very clean, and the carpets looked less than a year old. The lifts worked perfectly. The bathroom was fine. The shower was great and had a great range of temperatures. The room included a flat-screen TV with chinese channels on.
I will run through the list of services mentioned on their website (http://www.metropolehotel-shanghai.com/facilties.html) and comment on them.
- Business Center, meeting facilties, Disabled facilties, faxing facilities, Health Center, Lobby (?!), Car Parking, Elevator (?!), Restaurant, Salon.
- Did not see a business center. Does have meeting rooms. Disabled access apart from the bar. You can fax. Their Health Center is a room where you can have a massage. Minimal parking at in front of hotel which was very busy. Salon is the same as massage room.
- The Restaurant is excellent. It is a very smart spacious room. We only used this for breakfast, which costs ~50 RMB extra. However the breakfast are awesome. They have everything. They have a guy just to make eggs in front of you.
The location is supreme. A couple of blocks away from The Bund which is the main attraction in Shanghai city center. The nearest station for the "World's largest" Shanghai Metro is about 10 mins away by foot.
A problem we encountered was one night the guests in the room next door were talking/shouting and playing loud music until about 1am.
Looking back another major problem was the fact that Wi-Fi was only gained at reception. They supposedly had high-speed bandwidth in the rooms at a price, but this was through cable and NOT wireless.
Overall we had a great comfortable time in the Shanghai metropole. I recommend it to others but bear in mind the restrictions (i.e. cannot attain bandwidth in rooms for iPads etc.).
There are two cheaper options nearby but they're not as nice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- OPEN again! This beautiful art deco hotel opened in 1934 designed by the famous Palmer & Turner and developed by Victor Sassoon as sister to the Cathay (Peace): we are so excited to announce its rebirth, reborn and reopen again after the massive renovation by Hirsch Bedner Associates. This iconic & historic Metropole hotel opens as the flag ship of the new Jinjiang MetroPolo mid-scale Hotel brand (already 40+ in China). This hotel is in our "Classiq" series meaning both boutique & historic along with 7 others open in the Shanghai chain. Location: almost perfect for shopping, culture, site seeing and entertainment. 14 floors, 126 chic modern art deco rooms: 8 elegant suites: 2 terrace suites with Pudong skyline views. Do I hear you say party? The brands signature plush bedding features fresh white duvets & crisp linens. Sleep deep-work smart. Shanghai Garden Restaurant serving local cuisine. EVES lobby bar with international nibbles and a full bar of adult beverages to relax. A couple of small meeting rooms; a fitness center inside the iconic & infamous American Bar of old to recharge. Eats-meats-west-buffet-breakfast to revive; FREE Evening Social at the back of ground floor restaurant daily to rekindle Afternoon Tea, lunch & dinner to refresh. Attentive staff-distinctive decor-delight your senses-inspire your imagination. Artists for life-your life! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your JinJiang Metropolo Classiq Hotel, Shanghai Bund Circle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shanghai Metropole Hotel
- Metropole Hotel Shanghai