“Great location, Bad facilities”

JinJiang Metropolo Classiq Hotel, Shanghai Bund Circle
Ranked #190 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Goyang, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
“Great location, Bad facilities”
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Well this was my first stay at this hotel.This place has the best convenient location for the 'very-first-time traveler to Shanghai' like me. Walking distance to Waitan and East-Nanjin metro station was so so convenient. Famous travelling spots, such as Xintiandi or Taikanlu, all close by Line#10. And, though this hotel located near by the main street, it was quiet and you might can hear a pear of a bell from the bund. I'm not sure it always rang out, but i heard at 7a.m.
I stayed in a single room. Television didn't work and hair-dryer wasn't equipped (available on request at the reception!), the temperature control didn't seem to work well for both the room and the shower. It has a bath tub, seems not clean.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Minuit803

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Macau
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I booked a deluxe room from the 18th to 22nd October. The photos on the websites paint a far better picture of this hotel than will be experienced. My room (and the whole hotel) had the air-conditioning dissabled even thouth the temprature was 25 deg. Celcius , when I asked reception why they said it was hotel policy for that time of year and not to worry " just open the windows", yes there are plenty of windows, however there are also plenty of moscuitoes which kept me awake at night. The traffic noise never ends as the taxi drivers passing the hotel are very fond of using the car horn all times of day and night. The big clock on the bund chimes on the hour and every 15 and 30 minutes all day and all night, making a good nights sleep impossible unless you are a very heavy sleeper.Expedia did not indicate on their website that there was no air-con during certain times of the year, otherwise I would not have booked there.

The reception staff are not at all friendly, the carpet in my room was forming waves and very dirty looking, shower water pressure was not good either, however the room was otherwise acceptable.

On the positive side the location near the bund is good. There are a few good restaurants nearby (Grandma's) and a great bar (Captain Bar) with excellent view of the bund skyline and river located on the rooftop of the Captain Hostel, which is just a block from the Metropole towards the bund on the right.

I enjoyed Shanghai and will go back again but I will not be staying at the Metropole next time !

p.s. Its a huge city so make sure you get your destinations written in Chinese for the taxi drivers as they don't speak english.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Shanghai hotels

Long Beach, California
Reviewed 7 September 2012

I recently traveled to Shanghai with a friend and my husband. We chose to stay at this hotel because of the location, prices and photos we found from our research online. We decide to take a taxi from the airport to our hotel, I recommend printing out the address of your destination in chinese as the taxi driver had no idea what we were saying, despite the fact that we had a map with the location. The driving in Shanghai is pretty much a free for all and not many people (if any) follow any road rules. We were on edge during our entire taxi ride to our hotel. Once we arrived the door man was not too keen on helping us take our luggage out of the taxi and up to the lobby. There are only stairs and no ramp to the entrance. Once we were inside it looked like a nice hotel with a bar and dining hall on the same level as the lobby. The front desk person was not too friendly and quite annoyed to even be helping us to check in. We had to fill out quite a bit of paperwork by hand as it looks like they have not updated their software to allow quick and easy online check in. When we got up to our rooms the hall way smelled of toxic chemicals and our rooms smelled as though a smoker had lived there for quite sometime. Just about everyone smokes cigarettes in Shanghai and they allow them to do so indoors ( this explains the stale smoke smell in our rooms). They at least gave us rooms that faced inside which helps with the noise of the traffic outside. The drivers are not shy to use their horn, everyone honks all the time and always here. On our first night at this hotel after finding a place to eat we decided to grab a drink at the bar before heading over the Bund. Upon entering the bar we heard sobbing from behind one of the pillars. Once we took our seats we could see a girl who was obviously distraught about something that had hapened to her earlier in the day. Different staff members kept coming over to her to try and console her. After about 5 minutes of this she finally stood up, still crying and mumbling in chinese. What happend next was unexpected! She quietly opened the side door for the entrance to the bar area, walked over to a drawer and took out a giant knife and proceeded to wave it around at the staff members. Luckily, they were able to fetch the knife from her before she hurt herself or anyone else, to only put it back in the same drawer!! We quickly paid our bill and left for the Bund. When it came to breakfast the choices were slim and some items looked questionable. They also gave my husband an I a room with two twin beds, which we had to move together and have the european hotel sleeping experience of the dreaded crack ! The staff was not too eager to help their guests when they needed certain items such as toilet paper. I called housekeeping 3 times and they could barely understand me, they would say the someone was on their way and on one ever came. I finally walked over to their office to find a random staff member ( non-housekeeping) lounging while smoking his cigarette. I literally had to show him what I needed as he could not understand a word I was saying. He looked through all the cabinets for toilet paper to no avail. I finally ended up calling the front desk and asking them to send someone over with toilet paper. About fifteen minutes later a very annoyed looking woman came to our door with a roll of toilet paper. She did nto say a word to me and just stuck the toiler paper roll in my hand and walked away. Towards the end of our stay we had been out and about all day and returned to freshen up for dinner. When we went to open our doors the keys would work. When we came down to the front desk they told us we were locked out because we only paid for 4 night and not 5. Although our confirmation said otherwise as well as the dates shown on the key card envelope upon check-in. Unfortunately we could not get to those items to prove it to them because they were in our rooms. We ended up being charged 1000 RMB in order to have access to our rooms again. We had to dispute this charge when we checked out and were were credited back the charge, but still had to pay additional funds for 2 minutes of internet usage ( which did not work) and breakfast. I wold not recommend staying here if you plan to travel to Shanghai. Stay in the French Consessions are of Shanghai. There are more young people there, more restaurants and bars and it was a little bit cleaner in this area as well.

Room Tip: Do not stay here if you can afford to stay elsewhere. The Peninsula Hotel, The Peace Hotel are much...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank InessaZ
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I recently had a week in fascinating Shanghai. The Metropole is in a great location for exploring the city, located between the Bund & People's Square - a great base for walking around the city, or close to the metro for when your legs wear out. Also close to a couple of good restaurants & a small supermarket. My room was quiet and a good size if a little dated, but everything worked & it was very clean - for the price I wasn't expecting the Ritz. The room had a minibar and kettle. The staff were helpful, particularly the staff in the foyer bar who were glad to have a customer to practice their English on - the locals don't appear to enjoy a drink at the end of a busy day's sightseeing. All in all, a good value for money hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank PaulTas
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Perfect location, nice hotel but hot water (6th floor) took about 10 minutes to reach a temperature that was suited to take a bath. Clean room.
Printing boarding tickets was very costly (1 page 10 RMB and no discount if you have to print 6!), In many other hotels we stayed in China it was free a just or just few rmb's.
Breakfast average.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Auckland
Reviewed 25 August 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Metropole hotel as part of a tour trip around China. The hotel is situated at a very strategic point in Shanghai; walking distance to the Bund and to the People's square. It looks really good when in the lobby, however the room are not as well maintained as the lobby: carpet and wallpaper need to be changed as they look very old. The room size is decent for a hotel in China. But the service is very poor: we had to ring room service 4 times to get some pillows brought to our room, and every time they didnt understand what we were asking for as their English is very bad. They sent someone to our room each time to see what we wanted. Also they offer currency exchange service but when my husband wanted to change some money they told him they didnt have any, then another guest right after us ask to change some money after us and they were fine! I don't think I would recommend this hotel or go back there myself.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Jen1306
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2012

A stunning looking 1930's Art Deco hotel in a fantastic location 5 minutes walk from the Bund and Nanjing Road. If booking through hotels.com as we did don't pay attention to their map, it's completely wrong, type the street name into google maps instead. The hotel was very grand with massive rooms, although there wasn't anything like complementary water or coffee, everything was on the mini bar tab, and when I called down for a bottle of water after we checked in at 10.30pm I received a very rude reception. Very comfortable beds and pillows, try to get a room at the front as it's the biggest room and overlooks the intersection of the streets below. Breakfast was massively overpriced, turn left when leaving the hotel and walk 2 minutes to Cova Coffee instead, which has a much more reasonably priced western breakfast. On the same street as Cova is also a wonderful restaurant called Shanghai Grandmother. Overall good value for money and would stay here again for the location alone.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends