“Disappointing”

Ranked #548 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Sway, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed here 2 years ago and it has gone downhill since. Service poor and it took a long time to check in. Staff unfriendly. Wifi access an issue. Bedroom oddly shaped with 'pod' area and TV located where it cannot be viewed from the bed. Will not return - a pity given my first experience of this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room without the internal pod area and where you can see the TV from your bed.
2 Thank Nicola1959
Vivienne W, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Pravo Shanghai, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Customer,

Thank you for staying at Hotel Pravo.
I am really sorry and disappointed to hear of your experience here at our hotel.

I have taken your complaint to all relevant departments.
On behalf of the hotel and all the staff, I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences caused.

We will strongly persue to better serve our customers.

Thank you for your valued feedback.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do for you in the future.

Yours sincerely

Vivienne Wan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Schweiz
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I am just back from my weekend trip to Shanghai and have to say that I was a little bit disappointed about the stay in this hotel after reading so many positive comments. Why?

I did not like the style of the amusing suite at all, but that is a personal taste. It was too futuristic for me. The room is really big, but I found it was almost too huge to create a cosy atmosphere. It takes you a while to find all buttons and to walk from the wardrobe to the bed and usually I really love spacious rooms. There was always a smell in the room, I guess from the air condition or from the carpet, like when there was no fresh air since days.

As written by others, the room is quite dark and it's really hard to put make-up on since the badroom light is not strong enough. In general, I think the room rather addresses men than women if you check the colors, the missing tissues in the badroom, the shampoos smelling like a man's perfume etc.

The breakfast is ok, big enough so that everybody will find something, but no special experience. Some staff was friendly, others did not even recognize that they did not offer me some coffee. Whenever you go, there are nice style elements in each room and restaurant, but the atmosphere is not really friendly, warm, and light as I thought from the pictures.

I was surprised that the reception is always occupied by 4 employees, quite a lot compared to the amount of guests. In this case and due to the fact that it's a boutique hotel and not a big mass hotel, I would have expected a friendlier service, a smile, more help.

what I really liked were the comfy beds and the location is quite good. Not directly on the Bund, but you can reach it within 10min and you pay much lesse than for the hotels which are placed on the Bund.

So in general, everything was ok, but no special experience in my eyes compared to all hotels, especially boutique hotels I have already seen in Asia. I will definitely not go back since I like other hotels, for better prices, much more in Shanghai.

Room Tip: I would invest into the most expensive suites since they seem to have much more light and I prefer t...
2 Thank PinkHibiskus
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Pros:

Spacious room with trendy deco. Reception team is very helpful. There is a 24 convenience store and many restaurants just around the corner. Price is a bargain for the standard (I guess it is because that they don't have a gym or swimming pool)

Cons:

Bathroom is really dark and I found it hard to put make-up on.

Not much selection for breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Nighttrace
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 6 September 2013

When you travel regularly you start to find special places in each city that are just a cut above the rest. I have been to Shanghai a few times but this is my new "special place" It doesn't get much better than this, value for money it must be the best I have ever experienced. Its real 5 star hotel and service for the cost of much less. It's spotless from the lobby to the rooms. Room service was top notch and the staff were incredible, special mention to Gary (evening manager). The location is about 15min walk from North Bund but don't let that sway you. It's 5 min taxi at 15 RMB away. This has to be one of the best hotels I have stayed at in China or even HK. Every little detail has been carefully planned. The rooms are large, seating areas comfortable and well planned, Nespresso machine, large flat screen in bedroom, comfy huge bed with all bells and whistles you would expect from a very expensive hotel. The bathroom is excellent from heated mirrors to the free standing bath and fully functional remote controlled toilet (gotta get one of these for home). The restaurants were excellent and the feel was very upmarket and distinguished. I will without doubt stay here again and I confidently recommend this to any traveller, you will be very impressed. There is a 24hr 7/11 type store as you exit hotel, turn,left and left. The breakfast is exceptionally good with western and eastern offerings, try the little pumpkin pastries and the dim sum is awesome if you're into that. The service at breakfast was flawless. I can't say enough about Pravo, it's the best.

Room Tip: Any floor is good, don't miss breakfast
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank CK444
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 2 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Pravo for a short period, but it was enogh to understand that it a wonderful place to stay in Shanghai. Big comfortable suite, warm colors, great bed, fantastic view!
We will defenetly come back.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
surrey
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We spent 8 nights here and loved our room. It had 2 bay windows and from these you could see the Pearl Tower and the other tall buildings which provided great night-time viewing. The staff were always very friendly and dealt with our problems over heating in the room well, although they could not get the English speaking channels back on our TV! It is about a 15 minute walk from the Bund and on the way there you pass a train booking offfice which is useful for planning excursions. Going left out of the hotel and taking the first left you come to a very typical chinese street with a mini supermarket, fruit shop and the Apple Garden bakery which has lovely cakes and things you can have for breakfast. The hotel room is very spacious and had everything we needed. The remote controlled toilet/bidet with heated seat (you can decide on the temperature!) is amazing. The hotel is very clean and I would recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Toulouse, France
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Very spacious room/suite, modern but cosy design.
Helpful and friendly staff although except for one of them who spoke decent English, communication was barely adequate...
Lighting in the bathroom was dim. Too dark but otherwise nice.
Still, excellent value overall.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business