“Nice older hotel”

The Seagull on the Bund Hotel
Ranked #188 of 5,137 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Older building, nice sized rooms, clean and tidy but a bit dated. Close enough to city centre. Friendly staff, we asked to be moved to another floor level because they were making alterations and we could hear the noise, we were moved with no problems straight away.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We asked our tour agent to book us into court yard or interesting accommodation. This was our first hotel in China and we were not disappointed. The front of the hotel was not very impressive although the foyer was pleasant. When I got to my room it was whow!! The view was just exceptional. Overlooking the river, The Bund and the Pudong on the opposite bank.
The room was spacious, big comfortable bed, and well presented. The bathroom could do with a little T L C but was well equipped with fluffy towels, slippers and gowns. I was able to turn off the air con. and I could open the window to take photos of the ever changing scene as the barges plied the river and the wonderful changing colours of the Pudong at night. The reception staff were bit cool and communication was not so easy when I had to confirm that my daughters room had been booked and was told the hotel was fully booked. My daughter's flight was delayed by a day but the guide was able to sort it out and the booking was confirmed.
I would stay at this hotel again for the convenience of the position and the view.

Room Tip: choose a room overlooking the the river
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Lis F
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We arrived at the hotel at the end of a quite exhausting holiday. Our first problem was that having booked a twin we went to the room to find it was s double. As we are 2 female family members this was just not acceptable. Back to reception , where no one spoke enough English to be able to understand the problem . (As I speak no Chinese at all I ought not to complain about that. ) They only suggestion was that I use the internet to contsct the company through which I had booked. It took a lot of time and, I admit a lot of shouting before a manager arrived and did resolve the problem, not only providing a twin room, but upgrading us to a lovely huge room with the most incredible view acrooss the river. We had the whole Shanghai skyline in frony of us. Superb.
in general the hotel looked very tired. They are not really geared up for European tourists, but seem to specialise in weddings and conferences. The food was ............... better not to say. However, if I ever go back to Shanghai , and I could have a room with that view, I might stay there again.

Room Tip: Must have river view
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank djack43
Reviewed 27 May 2014

As always, I chose my hotel --- for the last two days of our Cruise Holiday from Sydney to Beijing, with a few days in Beijing and finally Shanghai before we flew home - from Tripadvisor reviews. We are Australian oldies, who have travelled all our lives, and we just love old hotels. We viewed the Seagull from the Bund when we visited Shanghai for a day of our cruise - and just knew we had picked well. We booked a front room with a window - Tripadvisor advice. I had done all our booking online, with a company who really made the whole land trip as easy as possible and suited to our needs. Arriving at the Seagull late in the afternoon we were so impressed with the beautiful foyer, lovely staircase, beautiful flower arrangements and went straight to our room. The lights on the Bund were just coming on and the whole river scene was there for us. Loved the decor of the room, loved the restaurant also overlooking the river. We did find the staff a little cool except for one bellboy! Waiting outside the lift with our bags on the morning of departure this lad was a delight to talk to -- didn't mind the wait for the lift. Little touches, like the hand-towels in the bathroom spelling out the name of the hotel, which was also in the sand at the front lifts -- for cigarettes I imagine -- well, we stay at modern hotels often, but this one was so special. Thank you, Seagull, for an experience we thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated on our last night in China.

Room Tip: Overlooking the river!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank febenine
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We were put in this hotel,having been informed at the last minute that our original booking for the Panorama on the bund was cancelled.The reason given was that the Panorama was closed for health and safety reasons,now this hotel is dead opposite,and there didn't appear to be anything wrong with the building,who knows.The Seagull looks like a 1930's building,Art Deco in style inside,with decorative glass panels inside,lots of marble etc,but it is looking a bit tired.The staff,I found to be very abrupt,not rude.A word of warning,in China it appears to be a rule that you must leave either a credit card imprint,or a cash deposit,in case you run off without paying for items like the mini-bar,or phone calls,in another hotel the deposit was more than the room cost,and they emptied the mini-bar when we said we wouldn't be using it.Another problem here was,we asked to change some money up,that was not possible,and we were directed to go to the bank(on A Sunday morning)fortunately they were open.The buffet breakfast here was the most awful I have ever encountered,I know the chinese eat some weird and wonderful things,but the quality here was atrocious,so coffee and toast was the order of the day,everyday.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank cabmanHerts
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Spent One night here during my short trip in Shanghai.

The Hotel give the old Shanghai feel. especially the bed decor, I only seem it on TV, I stayed in executive floor, the hotel information sheet said there is a club lounge, however when I ask for direction, the receptionist informed me they don't have it at all..

However, it was still a very good stay. enjoyed the perfect location and the food around hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah_Dai2014
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 2 nights in april 2014. The room was not well cleaned, found some half finished cup of tea and a used toothbrush, so the room was not cleaned well or maybe someone used it for a short while. When trying to score a drink it came to a disappointment since the lobby bar shut down at 9 pm. No information whatsoever about this. Breakfast was ok for chinese standards. The view from the river view room was nice and the bund is of walking distance.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business