“Great Location”

Salvo Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #469 of 5,222 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We booked two Executive Business suites. We had booked into a hotel nearby but checked out and moved to the Salvo hotel the following day. Funnily it t seemed to be cheaper booking online than at reception, and actually booked online in the lounge of the hotel and received a huge discount after been offered an exuberant amount from reception. We had two business executive rooms high up and had a stunning view over the Bund form our bed. The rooms were huge with a large lounge. In is very close to Pedestrian street 5 minutes walking and close to the city Hop on and hop off bus which was great. Reception staff were unfriendly they seemed very rushed and let you know that. There is no wifi in the rooms you need to get a router but it is provided for free (just a deposit) so not too much of an issue. After showering our bathroom smelt really bad. I thought it was only our room but our friends bathroom stank too after they showered. I am not sure why as I left the ventilator of. After some air conditioner it came right and we got used to it. I would stay there again due to the proximity of things and that it was clean and big, but for no other reason.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 June 2014

This hotel is located perfectly and the service is very good if you take into consideration most Chinese people speak no English. The Deputy Manager could help us in times of need and the breakfast was good as well. I will definitely stay in that hotel again.

Room Tip: This is a hotel with 30 + floors- we were on the 15th and we were happy with a large room. My hubby...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2014

3 nights in this hotel and some points below:
-Nice location (10-15 minutes by walk to People Square, but terrible streets view around is guaranteed if you don't know the right way to go)
-English speaking stuff, but not so friendly and helpful, as I usually saw in China before.
-Nice room size (for suite)
-Nice furniture
-Poor lighting in the room
-Poor breakfast and dirty in breakfast area (I saw a cockroach)
-Bad hot water pressure (18 floor) and I was waiting 10 minutes while the cold water become the warm water in the hot-water tap
-I have shower and bath in my room, but shower doesn't work and in the bath I can't stay on my legs straight, cause it's low-ceiling in the bath (I have just 183cm)
-Taxi is also not so easy to catch in this place, so be sure you have 10-15 minutes for this.
-Terrible placement for electricity sockets. Don't fixing the European plug in the electricity sockets (I've checked 4, and the only one was OK)
- Noisy air conditioner (like i'm in the plane)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed for a week in a Executive Business suite, it was huge with a large bed close to the window and a good view over the Bund, slightly delimited by other high buildings.
I booked a suite with a view over the Bund because of the low price; they seem to have a lot of discounts making the prices attractive.
The bathroom had a shower and a Jacuzzi, overall very clean. The breakfast was included but barely OK, at least it got me started for the day. Good working internet connection during my whole stay which is important to me.
About 300m to both The Bund and the Metro, means a good location for sightseeing.
The staff could be a bit more friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 May 2014

OK as part of a long trip across China with a party of 7 one a wheel chair we finished in the Salvo. The good parts: great location typical Chinese alleys and small shops across from hotel. Do try eating in the Chinese restaurants in the street, cheap, good quality and plentiful food. The river front is close as is the east Nanjing road shopping area. Find 580 West Nanjing road which is what the Beijing Silk Market use to be like.
The hotel is reasonable, and while the rooms are large(we had suites) and well equipped they a bit tired. A refurbishment would make this highly recomended, but after the sofitel Nanjing and the Inner Mongolian Grand Beijing this one was third on the like list. A bit of a shame as location makes this a great base for exploring Shanghai and should be not written off; location and price can make up I believe any small let down in the rooms.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank petefrompreston
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I only stayed at the hotel for one night as I was passing through Shanghai on route to the airport. The hotel was extremely busy on arrival but the staff attended to me very quickly and efficiently. The hotel is in a great location and only ten minutes walk from the Bund and rail connections. The hotel facilities are looking a little dated in places but my room was clean, functional and comfortable. The hotel has free WiFi in guest rooms, and the breakfast menu was generally very good. Without hesitatio I would stay at the Salvo again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The best thing about this hotel is it location, not far from a metro station, near the Bund area, a short walk from the great Nanjing Road pedestrian shopping street and the People's Park with the Grand Theatre, etc. The service was excellent, the main public areas spacious and comfortable, but the room itself was small and rather dated. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet. The bathroom was cramped, and standing in the bath for a shower your head (if you are six feet tall) goes up into the inspection hatch in the ceiling! We did not eat in the hotel, but there is a good selection of places to eat out in the streets nearby.

Room Tip: Our room on a higher floor was quiet, lower down may be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple