“NEVER STAY HERE!! Nasty rooms and staff, cockroaches”
Review of Piao Ying Hotel

Piao Ying Hotel
Ranked #2,523 of 5,222 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I unfortunately stayed here, 1st night was the worst, beds were so freaking hard could not sleep to save my life, staff NEVER offered to bring up cushions and place on bed once, there were cockroaches crawling over the nightstand and all over the bathroom, at 1130pm, I finally had to go downstairs and ask for another room with a softer bed, told this is how China is, they "like hard beds". The housekeeper who showed me from room to room, didn't understand any english and was quite rude, as I later found out, many Chinese people have no clue how to talk to people, especially Americans. Each morning I asked for the manager who mysteriouly was never there, and I was told to "[--] OFF", by front desk guy the next day. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Way overpriced for the area and what you get (NOTHING)!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 19 May 2012

out side of the hotel is a construction area the noise frome the outside is very har

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank udi_arbel
Reviewed 21 April 2012

This is a nasty overpriced dump of a hotel that is surrounded on 3 sides with huge construction sites that are in operation 24/7 and that means a lot of noise and bright lights from the sites as well as a constant coming and going of cement and gravel trucks. If you idea of a great view is a building being constructed then this is the place for you. The desk staff will lie to you and are belligerent and arrogant. the cleaners and security are thieves. It is likely your room will be burgled. At night the corridors fill with Russian and Chinese hookers badgering you for business. There is a gay brothel/bath house on the fourth floor that attracts street business. The wall paper is peeling from the walls, the carpets are filthy, and the beds are as as hard as a sheet of plywood covered in burlap. You have to pack a lunch to get to get to any place of interest and the taxis refuse to go to this area. Be warned.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Garry J
Reviewed 13 December 2011

We are presently staying at the Piao Yiang Hotel in Shanghai, at a cost of abour $40 a night. We are on a business trip, and the company we visited is located in the same building. We have a room with a queen size bed, wonderful heating, pleasant decor, and a modified minibar with tea and fridge. The bathroom is decently decorated, with a large shower and marble sink area. There is a large closet with some hangers and shelves. A large television, but hardly anything to watch in English. I did note there is a restaurant and salon on the fourth floor, but the salon does hair only. No manicures. The staff at the reception desk are very nice, and clearly took good care to ensure our rooms were stocked with tissues and bathroom paper, the wire for internet, and brought us a new remote when the one we had did not work.

While it is true that the area around the hotel is not as beautiful as other areas, we had a great time meeting people at the stores and at the food kitchens. I found the people pleasant and accommodating. We found good deals in some clothing and a pair of slippers, in this area. Our friend from Shanghai was telling us that the property where these old houses and businesses are located, are still there because the property is too expensive to build new buildings on.Still, travel is not always about perfection, and we enjoyed our time around the neighborhood.

The front of the hotel is also a great place to catch cabs. As I am writing this, I hear below our room someone singing. This is not too uncommon, as we noticed a place right outside the hotel where novice singers come and sing. Where they sing is in an open area, maybe in the same block as the grocery store. The grocery store is called Lotus, and has everything you could possibly need. We went in and purchased oranges, breat, cheese, and some hair shampoo and conditioner. The price was reasonable. They sell everything including electronics, alcohol, bedding, diapers. Similar to Carrfour or Lulus.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room and be aware there is some noise from the city traffic. We were located on the...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 December 2011

I had stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and was bitten by bed bugs which left me with 8 bites on my arms and legs. I have weared clothes while sleeping to avoid dirty sheet, and I know I would have more bites if I did not.

This is by far the worst hotel that I have ever stayed, and I was told it was owned by government. That certainly explains why everything there is below the standard. The only reason it was 3 stars could be because it has restaurant in it. The restaurant itself is not good either. I made mistake trying to save some money, and it was not worth it. It has been over 2 weeks, and those bed bug marks on still on my arms, and I don't know when or if those would ever really gone (not in my head for sure.)

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Robin S
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Positives - clean(ish) and tidy, reception speak passable English.

Negatives - seedy area, mouldy carpet, mouldy shower heads, bags of rubbish left in hallways, prostitutes everywhere, false advertising with photos that must have been taken over a decade ago, bedbugs, poor quality food, inadequate internet despite paying for it the plug in the wall was dodgy in all 10 rooms we had booked, bad smell caused by damp and mildew throughout. Need I go on?

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank vivaciouskitty
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Reasonable close to Line 10 metro station Tiantong Road. It was an easy 10 minute walk to the hotel.We arrived early but there were no problems with checking in early. A 100 yuan deposit was required, no problem but it would have been nice to know about it. We were initally given room7 05 - do not take this room ! it was behind the lift shaft and the walls were constantly vibrating. Reception immediately gave us a new room 712 which was instantly better. The views from the window were spectacular- overlooking the creek with the Pudong skyline.
The room was simple and clean.There was a fridge and a kettle, ample space for all of our things and an ok bathroom.This could be improved with a new shower head as there was a lot of limescale build up. The aircon worked fine and did not keep us awake at all.
Location wise, fantastic 10mins to the metro one way, 5 mins to the Bund, 10mins to East Nanjing Rd.
Breakfast was offered for roughly 25 yuan but was quite honestly awful. The hotpot restaurant next door was quite an experience, worth a go and very reasonable prices.
The bar of the Park Hyatt at the global financial centre (the tall bottle opener looking building) was well worth it - better than queuing for the viewing platform.

I also noticed some websites say there is a pool but it seems it is only a Spa.

Overall for the price, the view and the location outways any negatives.

Room Tip: 712- pudong views
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends