“Cheapish Silk”

Ranked #192 of 1,363 things to do in Shanghai
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Silk Museum is an educational tour of the entire process from growing and feeding the silkworms to collecting the silk threads and the factory production of silk textiles. Quality silk bedding and products may be purchased here.
Reviewed 16 September 2013

This silk museum is worth visiting if you are interested in this type of product or if you wish to purchase silk products. Otherwise nothing special.

3  Thank KJLRSA
in 4 reviews
"exit"
"souvenirs"

Reviewed 2 August 2013

The tour here was short yet informative. It was interesting to see real silk worms, the cocoons, and the overall silk making process. The real goal here is to sell silk products and they have some nice things. I picked up a king silk duvet at about a 1/3 of it's cost in the US. They also had some beautiful duvet covers and other items - these seemed to be a bit more costly, but still better priced than the same item in the States. If you are looking for silk items, it's worth a stop.

1  Thank travel_junkie3000
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Our group was taken here as part of our tour. Interesting beginning, then we were thrown to the vultures (sales people). They were nice until I started asking questions, being picky, not wanting what inventory they had, prices were too high, and taking too long. That turned me off and I walked out. (this was the beginning of the trip so we were more experienced at later stops).

We did, however purchase a queen silk quilt before they got pushy, without the outer cover or set. I didn't want the slippery stuff that falls off the bed, my hubby sweats way too much and would ruin it, didn't care for the colors and designs, and besides, it cost much more than the quit itself.

The quilt fit into the zip lid of my luggage with the scarves I bought upstairs (also expensive, but so beautiful). The compacted size I wound up with was not as thin as they showed it will be. About 1/3 more.

Here is my real issue. I figured I could come home and grab a cover someplace. I have had no such luck. The sizes are different. I got a 87x79 Queen and have been unsuccessful matching sizes. Now, I have never had a comforter, duvet, anything like this so maybe I am missing something here, but so far, no luck. (in the USA). Beware.

1  Thank bjsr
Reviewed 23 May 2013

After a fast and very short explanation of silk, they took us to the retail store. The price was very reasonably. I checked the quilt if it is real silk inside, and it was. I was also sure that such a registered place would never cheat. I hadn't chance to proof whats in the pillow cuz they had been in a vacuum pouches and without zipper. When came back home and opened the vacuum pouches I felt that it is not same quality like the quilt. I have torn it immediately and it was not 100% silk it was 100% Polyster !!!! I am really angry because I trusted them. When I go back to Shanghai...!
Please beware!!!!!!!!!