“Great location, great value: $54 per night for four star hotel”
Review of The Bund Hotel

The Bund Hotel
Ranked #125 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
Chicago, Illinois
“Great location, great value: $54 per night for four star hotel”
Reviewed 1 May 2009

The Bund hotel in Shanghai is not on the Bund and is not to be confused with the Hyatt-on-the-Bund Hotel.

The Bund Hotel is a modern four star hotel ideally located in the center of central (Huangpu area) Shanghai. The East Nanjing Road pedestrian zone (and metro stop) is a 10 minute walk north; the People’s (Renmin) Park (and major museums and metro stop) is a 10 minute walk west; the Bund waterfront is a 20 minute walk east; Yuyuan gardens (and old town tourist zone) is a 25 minute walk southeast.

Unlike the new hotels in the Pudong area, which are elegant but located in an isolated tourist wasteland, the Bund hotel is on (relatively) quiet Guangdong Road in a low rise area full of small shops and local color, within reasonable walking distance of many tourist sights.

The Bund hotel rooms are very nicely decorated, with rosewood paneling and furnishings. Beds are extra firm, and bed linens are excellent. My corner room had wrap around balcony windows with views in three compass directions, like the bridge of a ship.

Rooms have the usual four star amenities. The only disappointment is that my TV did not work (static only) and there is no newspaper service (English language papers are available to be read in the hotel business center). Free bottled water is provided in the marble and granite bathroom, and a teapot is provided to boil water. The mini-bar and internet hook-up have the usual charges.

The front desk staff is efficient, and the concierge staff is friendly and eager to please. A western style breakfast buffet is available for about $12 if it is not included in your room rate. I did not try this or any of the hotel restaurants. There are other options nearby, including a French bakery with tables and (I believe) free wi-fi half a block north of the hotel (the hotel charges $1.50 per quarter hour to use their business center internet laptop). A large modern supermarket is one block west and north of the hotel, and several mini-markets are even closer.

The best part of my 6 night stay at the Bund Hotel was the price -- $54 plus tax per night for a superior single (actually a twin bed double) room booked through Travelocity. I usually bid for international hotels on the web, but this price was too good to pass up, especially since the location is ideal.

Reserving hotels in China can be problematic, since location is very important -- some hotels are quite isolated and some are not in the location their names suggest. Also, non-smoking rooms can be difficult to obtain (the Bund Hotel has only 3 non-smoking of 22 floors, and the Travelocity operator even called the hotel for me to guarantee that I got one). Also, even the better hotels in China may have advertised base rates for rooms that can be tiny and even windowless, so I chose a superior rather than standard single for only $6 more than the $48 base rate. My superior single was twice the size of a standard single (320 vs. 160 square feet according to the internet description).

To find the Bund Hotel from the Pudong (PVG) airport take the Maglev bullet train ($6) to the Longyang Road metro station, then line 2 (60 cents) to the East Nanjing Road station. Exit the metro station onto the pedestrian street and walk several blocks west to the Sofitel Hotel, then turn south (on Fujian Road) several blocks to Guangdong Road. The Bund Hotel is then one block west (not visible until you approach it). It is a 10 minute walk. Watch for turning traffic whenever crossing at an intersection. Street names are well marked with in English and Chinese. A taxi from the airport takes about an hour.

I hope you enjoy Shanghai and the Bund Hotel as much as I did. Happy and safe travel!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank efsch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Frederick, MD
Reviewed 5 April 2009

I booked this hotel directly. This hotel isn’t as nice as the Park Plaza in Beijing and the beds were horribly hard. Our room (#1607) had city views but from the backside. We could see the nearby freeway. The room had two double beds and a very nice large bathroom.

The employees were not friendly at all with the exception of William at the concierge desk, who helped us obtain our train tickets for Hangzhou.

The location was great, about a 15-minute walk to the Nanjing pedestrian street. I especially loved the area around our street, as it was quite colorful with street food vendors and small shops. A grocery store is nearby, as well as a pastry/bakery.

I wouldn't stay here again unless I got a great price.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 March 2009

Booked this hotel w/ Ctrip once I arrived at HongQiao airport. Got to the hotel at 930am didn't let us check in until 11am which was ok, just walked around until 11am. Taxi from airport was 55RMB, in rush hr traffic, what a steal.

Hotel located close to bund and Nanjing Road. Probably about 5-10 mins to Nanjing and 15 to the Bund Walking. Near the highway too so easy to get to from HongQiao and elsewhere.

It's on a relatively quiet corner in Shanghai, Fukien Lu and Guangdong Lu. But still close to the action.

The room was clean and large. Had a corner room w/ two twin beds (but seems like oversized twins.) Had a computer in the room too which was great! Free internet usage. Usual chinese amenities, toothbrushes, slippers, robes.

Bathroom had a separate tub and shower which was nice. Housekeeping did an OK job, nothing to write home about. I don't think they changed the sheets/pillowcases but I only stayed two nights so I didn't care.

Staff had decent english for China so that was a plus and they were friendly.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
Victoria, BC
Reviewed 5 March 2009

Our stay at the Bund was terrific and I'm surprised by some of the comments on Tripadvisior. The rooms are modern, spacious and spotless. Whereas the staff were modern and spotless. There are no language problems and everyone seemed committed to making our stay as pleasant as possible. Also the hotel's location (some 800 mertres from the actual Bund) is superb for visitors. And finally, while the Bund Hotel is not the most flashy in town, it represents outstanding value for money.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
ednichol
Reviewed 19 February 2009

I left my computer in a room here, and it was missing when I returned. The managers told me I must have misplaced it, but I am 100 percent positive it was left on the bed. They said they would look at the surrveilance tapes and see if anyone entered the room. They said they could only see the maid, but did not see her take my computer. They refused to show me the video tapes, and would not help me with filing a police report. Needless to say, DO NOT STAY here unless you want your things to be stolen from your room.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ednichol

Travellers are raving about these Shanghai hotels

Hamburg
Reviewed 3 January 2009

We stayed in the bund before heading to south china and despite what have read here we found it o.k the rooms can vary from size but this is due to the floor plan of the hotel, the staff is happy to change rooms. They do the usual tricks at check in with one breakfast for a double and such, be prepared to haggle a bit. Chinese hotels are loud, thats the way they are - if you do not like it go to some international chain half the fun double the price. Breakfast is to be avoided ,if you can rather choose a better rate, and head to the Paris Croque shop on the other side of the street

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 1 January 2009

While this place is nice on the inside and the staff kind, it's not by any stretch a four-star business hotel. The rooms were loud, including the crappy floor that groaned with every step. Room wasn't bad for me and a buddy, though. Just, not worth the money. It was nice, though, to have a PC live to the internet in the room. I liked that, and to my knowledge I never had to pay for it.

Best part of the stay was when a bellhop interpreted for me to my cab driver that I was only going to pay half of what he wanted to charge me. He was trying his best to scam me, and while I couldn't speak Mandarin, the bellhop interpreted for me that he wasn't getting the money he wanted out of me. The bellhop thought it was funny. He did his best to be very professional, though, and not laugh and the scamming cabbie and simply interpret. By the way, only use cabbies in the official cab area of Shanghai airports. Everyone else is basically a scam.

There is a reason I'll never stay here again, though. My clothes were on the bathroom floor while I was showering. I didn't know it at the time but the shower leaked as fast as I could lather up me head. My clothes for the day were soaked. Not a little wet, they were freaking SOAKED!! So, I had to find another outfit to wear for the day. This was near the end of my vacation to China and I had already shipped some dirty clothes back to the States to make room for souvenirs, etc. I did have clothes, but wanted my now completely wet clothes, of course, cleaned and dried. (Or at least dry.) The bathroom floor flooded every time we showered. We had to get extra towels and basically build a small wall and take short showers.

I asked multiple people around the hotel to waive the drycleaning charges. No one would. It was 100% the hotel's fault that the bathroom flooded and that my clothes had to be laundered, but that didn't matter to any 'manager' I spoke with at the hotel. This was a joke. No one would waive my laundry charges and no one even offered to change our rooms.

Business hotel? They won't have any of my business.

• Liked — Staff was friendly, very close to where you wanna be in Shanghai
  • Disliked — Not a business hotel and screwed me over after my bathroom flooded and clothes were basically ruined until laundry could be done
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)