“Good location - a bit noisy - very nice rotating (!) restaurant at the top”

Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World
Ranked #38 of 5,146 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We arrived middle of August and stayed for two nights. We got the room 2004. Overall it is a good hotel at an excellent location. The underground (line 2 and exit number 8) is almost opposite of the hotel and the bund is in walking distance. Direct access to a shopping mall. Breakfast offers a good variety and the personel is well trained. Through the windows you hear the noise of the street (although we were at the 20th floor at the back of the hotel). We could live with it. Bathroom and the room itself are okay (hotel got a bit long in the tooth). A must see and visit is the rotating (!) restaurant at the top. Great view and really nice restaurant. We did not know and visited the bar only (sometimes live entertainment music). You have definitely the better view from the restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 August 2011

Stayed here with family in early July. Very satisfied with everything. Great location.
Wonderful views ... ask for room facing the square.
Staff are very friendly and helpful.
Sky Bar has fantastic views and good for a night "in".
No real facilities for kids but our 10year old loved it anyway.
Room very comfortable - worth paying the extra for room with separate work area, as this gives more space especially if you have kids with you.
Would not consider staying anywhere else on our next trip to Shanghai.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We stayed at this hotel for more than 1 week and we had taken the Deluxe Room (with the extra 'office room').

Positives:
-The extra 'office' room worked great for us since we had a baby with us and we could put her to sleep in the main bedroom while my spouse and I could chill out in the adjoining room. It was extra versus the regular rooms - but totally worth it. Also, we used it as our 'planning' area to decide what to do each day. Worked great!
-Free Internet was awesome.
-Huang He road which is the road next to the hotel has 2 of the top 10 restaurants reviewed on Trip Advisor - Jia Jia Tung Bao and Yangs Fried Dumplings. Both these are across from each other and phenomenal soup dumplings and fried dumplings. Dont expect great service - but top notch food.
-The hotel is located on Nanjing South Road and is close to pretty much everything - right next to the huge shopping area on Nanjing road, 20 min walk to the Bund, basement has access to subway and it is about 10 mins cab ride to places like Yu Yuan, XinTianDi etc.
-Great service and amazing view. Our room overlooked the Peoples Square. You can get a 180 degree view of the entire downtown skyline.
-Very spacious bathroom, very modern.
-Tons of places nearby to get breakfast - McD, 85 degree Celcius (bakery chain), KFC etc and local Chinese joints. So.....no need to take the breakfast offer they have in hotel unless you dont care to go out every morning for breakfast.

Cons
-Carpet is slightly old. Could use an upgrade.
-Would have liked a kids area for play - but this is Shanghai. So, was not expecting much since real estate is at a premiuim in downtown.
-Nothing else really....great staff.

Restaurants to visit:
-Always drink bottled water just to be safe.
1. Jia Jia Tung Bao and Yangs fried dumplings
2. JW Marriott has an 'all you can eat Dim Sum' for about USD $20. Totally worth it. Just be careful ordering extra stuff - we paid exorbitant amount for the tea! so, be careful there. But amazing view of downtown and really cool restaurant.
3. Di Shui dong - by far our #1 choice in Shanghai - Hunan Food and simply amazing!
4. XinTianDi has some high end resturants.....we went to Xin Ji Shi. Really good food!
5. French Concession has some nice places...we did not have time to go there.
6. BaShiWuDuC (85 degree celcius) is just down the road and us a GREAT bakery - open 24 hours. Bubble tea is phenomenal and so is the bread.

Room Tip: Ask for the deluxe Room (worth the extra money) and also for a view of People's Square.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank inconel738
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I arrived two hours earlier than anticipated and was welcomed with genuine hospitality. There was a group in the lobby and I was identified as a single traveller and the Manager whisked me away to the Club Floor to organise a fast check in. I think her name was Sophia, very efficient and very cordial.

Whilst it was an extremely short stay, just overnighting, the room was in excellent condition and very comfortable. I had one small problem in my room, but this was swiftly dealt with by the staff. What impressed me the most was a follow up call from a Manager to ensure that my problem had been resolved a few minutes after the housekeeper came to help.

Overall the Management and staff I interacted with at this hotel were magnificent. I will absolutely return and stay at this hotel for my next business trip to Shanghai.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Lovely hotel and huge room with amazing bathroom. Staff spoke little English but as we had access to Internet we could find out everything we needed to know that way. Went to sky bar which has amazing views but offers little in terms of entertainment and with a bit of imagination could be a Gold mine if the radisson put their mind to it. We did not have breakfast included in our rate but ths was no problem as we went next door to Starbucks and had breakfast there. Touts outside hotel are annoying but just ignore them they are harmless

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 9 August 2011

The Radisson Hotel is a pretty good place to stay in Shanghai.

It is smack bang in the middle of several major tourist attractions, such as being right next to Shanghai's Madam Tourset's wax museum (spelling?), and being less than 5 minutes across the road from Nanjing Road East where there are hundreds of tourists, both from over seas and Chinese from other provinces, and, if you walk another 10-15 minutes, you'll hit The Bund.

If you take the train, you're just 2-3 stops away from the tallest buildings in Shanghai. Also, there is a direct train from Pudong Shanghai Airport to the hotel on line 2. Yes, there really is! Just take it from airport to People's Park station. It was my first time in Shanghai, so I decided to play it safe and take a taxi. Taxi costs RMB169, and took between 40-50 minutes. The train would cost maybe 5RMB (?) and take less time.

Or, if you want, you can take Maglev to a station starting with "L" (I forget it's fuill name) then walk 20 metres across to the main train station and buy ticket for line 2. Lots of easy to follow signs.

The hotel is also right opposite People's Park train station, so getting around Shanghai is no problem at all!

What about the hotel itself?

It is large, clean, and modern. Do request a room which faces the city (I got a high floor, but faced the other direction- not bad, but the other direction is better!). You get x2 complimentary bottles of mineral water (350ml each) and China Daily newspaper. I got upgraded to free breakfast on level 1, and that is just great! It's a large buffet area which faces the park opposite and I had at least 4 plates of food every day. Bye bye diet! Good mix of Chinese and western food, with fruit and pastries to finish off with.

The gym is moderate in size, but well equiped, and the indoor swimming pool area is quite large and airy, thanks to a high ceiling and window.

The bed was very comfortable and I loved sleeping in it.

To my surprise, there were far fewer English channels than I expected. At first glance, I got very excited at the 67 channels on offer. But then I went through them, and discovered most were channels from other Chinese provinces. Only a handful were in English- HBO, Nat Geographic, CNN. MTV. Channel 37 has Western movies, but dubbed over in Chinese. Such a pity. I admit one of the things I look forward to in hotels is their cable tv. Still, there's free internet, so if you've brought your laptop along, you can watch any tv shows or movies you've brought along. They have a sign which states they don't like people downloading movies though- bandwidth issue.

I had only two issues with the Radisson, both personal views and minor- won't affect 99% of people staying there.

1) the "lift has arrived at level 34" ding is soft, so I missed my lift 3 or 4 times. It sounds like the lift has arrived on the floor above or below you instead- like it's been muffled by 1-2 floors, but is nearby. Eventually learnt to keep an eye out for the doors opening!

2) On my last night, I decided to spurge and try their in house massage on level 7 at 1am. They open until 3am (poor staff members- there from 10am til 3am!!!) The front reception for the massage/spa is modern, but it's not until you go in through the very nicely done up rooms, and corridors that you see how far in it extends and winds around. Decor is top notch, and the room I got was called "Peony", and had it's own toilet and shower.

What got my goat was the massage lady. I was already spending RMB768 (680 + 15% service fee or something less 80 discount voucher), and half an hour into the massage, which, admittedly was quite soothing, she starts nagging me for 5 minutes to extend to 3 hours! I don't think so Diana. Such upmarket decor. Such downmarket attittude.

Speaking of massage, if you're tired after a day of walking your feet off, there's a massage place behind the hotel (you can't miss it- big neon sign filling a window saying massage) which will give you a 60 minute oil massage for RMB 200, or thai massage RMB268 for 90 minutes. I tried both- the oil is soothing, and thai- well...not genuine thai, but still a nice massage! They said they get many customers from the Radisson because they're less than half the price :)

And finally, this is not related to the hotel per se, but the pimps who wait outside at night to nag single guys for a "massa-gee" are really annoying. Just in case any guy wants to give them a try- DON'T- lots of stories on internet of people being isolated in some room, surrounded by a couple of hoods and being hit with bills of RMB2000-5000 and/or having their wallet taken.

If you've made it to the end of this review- thanks for your time and patience!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank SirCyrus
Reviewed 6 August 2011

An excellent hotel located very conveniently near the Metro stations and close to most of the good areas to visit within Shanghai.

The rooms are very spacious and to me that was a real clincher as I was just coming from Japan where the room size was similar to the bathroom in Radisson Shanghai. Depending on which room you get, the views will vary. However, the room itself is very well equipped and extremely comfortable with free Wi-fi facilities so that you can catch up on work and e-mail without any fuss.
The food quality was indeed very good and the variety in buffet, immense

Definitely a very good place to stay for a business traveller

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business