“A nice retreat from a crazy city”

Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World
Ranked #36 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This hotel was a great location to most places within Shanghai, our room had a view over peoples park which was lovely.
Our room was massive with a seperate office and dressing area, the bath was also lovely!

The Skybar although very pricey was a lovely place to sit and look over the top of shanghai.

We had an early morning flight and was very happy when they let us check in at 7am.

The staff never really made any attempt to talk to us but that was fine with us.

Probably wouldn't class this hotel as 5* compared to other hotels we have stayed in but still a lovely hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zoe C
Clive M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World.

I am very pleased you enjoyed our Park View rooms, and yes they are very large with an amazing view of People's Square.

As an international hotel, we understand the need to be flexible with early flights and if we have rooms available, we aim to ensure you get rested well before discovering this amazing city.

As you have highlighted in your review, our location is the perfect place to base yourself in Shanghai. Located on Nanjing Road and directly opposite People's Square, the hotel is a short walk to the Bund and directly located above 3 subway lines. A truly convenient location in the heart of Shanghai.

I do apologise for our staff not interacting with you more, and this is an area we should focus on to ensure we achieve 5 star hospitality.

Best regards

There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World

Reviewed 24 May 2014

- Location: Can't beat it.
Across People Square's park with lots of green.
At the beginning of Nanjing West,, which is a pdestrian street ending at the Bund
Next to all kind of shopping mals, including direct acces fro mhote llobby to New World
shopping mall.
- Staff and service:Superb !great attitudes
It is not what they do for you, it is how they do it and how they make you feel.
I travel a lot for business, , but I never felt so good and so taken care of at any property.
Anderson the Front office Manager, Thomas the concierge had great attitudes.
And if you will get an airport transfer, ask for Jimmy Zhou from the concierge.

Room Tip: Definitelya park view room ! Avoid city view rooms, especially if you are on a lower floor . First...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank nomadiksoul

Thank you for taking the time to review Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World.

I am delighted to hear that our staff went out of their way to make your stay so special. I have personally shared your comments with the individuals you have mentioned as well as my entire team. As you have mentioned in your review, our location on Nanjing Road is in the heart of Shanghai, only a short walk to the Bund and directly located about 2 subway lines. We are also surrounded by a myriad of restaurant and shopping malls, and as you highlighted, we even have direct access to the New World Shopping mall.

Again, thank you for your positive review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to Shanghai.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed at this centrally located hotel for four nights. Upon arrival we were upgraded to an Executive suite situated on the higher floor. The room was spacious and great with two bathrooms and a living room area separated from the bedroom. The location is great, just at People`s square, 2 min from subway and walking street. Breakfast was not included in our rate so we did not try that. The hotel also offers a well equipped gym. They have a nice bar at the top floor with life music to end the day and offering stunning view of Shanghai. Would definitely stay here next time visiting Shanghai.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank JacobOslo

Thank you for taking the time to review Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World.

I am very pleased you enjoyed the upgrade to our beautifully appointed Executive Suite, no doubt a lovely way to relax after a long day of exploring the amazing city of Shanghai. As you have mentioned in your review, our location on Nanjing Road directly opposite People’s Square is the best place to base yourself in Shanghai. I am really happy you got to experience our amazing Sky Dome Bar with spectacular views over the Shanghai skyline and live music 7 days per week.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed one night at this hotel and really liked it very much. The location is great, just at People`s square, 2 min from subway and walking street. Direct subway line from airport; very close to railway station. This is a 5* star property and everything is at the proper level - the room, staff etc. Nothing to complain about. They have a nice bar at the top with life music to end the day.

Room Tip: the view is great from high floors
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Maria A
Clive M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time review Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World.

As you have mentioned in your review, the hotel is located directly above 3 subway lines, one of which takes you to the airport which is very convenient.

Being located on Nanjing Road, directly opposite People's Square and a short walk to the Bund, this is the ideal hotel in Shanghai to base yourself to explore this amazing city.

Beyond our fantastic Sky Dome Bar on our 47th floor that plays live music 7 days per week, we also have our equally amazing Epicure revolving restaurant on the 45th floor with 360 degree panoramic views of the city.

I am very pleased we delivered 5 star service and look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Again, thank you for your great review.

Best regards

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed for two nights in this hotel. It is a nice and good location hotel. At least staff can talk and understand English. You are close square and shopping malls. You got everything in walking distance.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Murad K
Clive M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World.

As you have mentioned in your review, our amazing central location, directly opposite People’s Park on Nanjing Road is the absolute heart of Shanghai. Major attractions such as the Bund are only a short walk away and the hotel has direct access internally to the New World Shopping Mall. We are also directly above three subway lines, thus it doesn’t get any more convenient.

I hope you also got the opportunity to experience our amazing revolving restaurant on the 45th floor with a 360 degree panoramic view of Shanghai and our Sky Dome Bar with equally impressive views with live music 7 days per week.

I also thank you for your positive comment about our team members and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to Shanghai.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I spent one night here when transiting through Shanghai. The hotel couldn't be better located - right at the west end of Nanjing Road's pedestrian mall area. It's also at the People's Square/Park metro station.

If you want to save money, a ride from Pudong Airport can be had on the #2 line directly.

I was given a nice large room with a good view.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Clive M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World.

There is no doubt that Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai is the ideal location for a hotel in Shanghai. As you have mentioned, we are located on Nanjing Road, right at the top of the pedestrian mall, among the best shopping, dining and entertainment in Shanghai. Thank you for the tip on the subway ride to the airport. With the hotel located above 3 subway lines, it’s a truly convenient option.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

While in Shanghai, my husband was phoned by a sales representative of the Radisson Blu New World to sell him "Radisson coupons" for RMB 1 888. She said these would entitle him to a room for the night at the hotel with a great "city view", lunches for two comprising a "magnificent buffet" including "deluxe" sushi and seafood plus a dinner at the hotel for two.
The sales rep also said he could spend 1000 RMB cash vouchers on any of the hotel's dining options plus more vouchers for use of the hotel's gym and pool.
My husband also happens to be a member of the Radisson (Carlson) awards programme, which is supposed to offer a 50 percent discount on meals.
The coupons sounded like a great deal and since this was to be my last night in the city (we had been staying at a four-star hotel further away) my husband agreed to buy the coupons, which were delivered to our other hotel by a chap who could not speak any English (no receipt was given for the purchase which had to be made in cash as their credit card machine would not accept my husband's cards). Everything was written in Chinese.
Well, where do I start? In our room on the 11th floor, the so-called "magnificent city view" was a close-up of the building opposite and some air conditioning units (pic attached). Then, the double bed we wanted did not materialise ... we got two single beds far apart from each other . We went downstairs to point this out, but there was such a long queue at the reception we didn't feel like hanging around for an hour or more.
We then went for lunch on the first floor where the food was horrid .. the "sushi" comprised about five small pieces of rice wrapped around pickles, there was a bit of squid on a stick and a couple of tired prawns. Fortunately I wasn't that hungry but the shocker came at the end of the meal when we were handed a bill for around RMB 340 for two beers for my husband and two coconut juices for me (bear in mind that these coconut juices retail for RMB 5 in all the shops and kiosks in the area) . We were told we could not pay for the drinks using our RMB cash coupons either. This felt like a mugging!
Oh well, we thought: we would use the coupons to have dinner at the hotel's Epicure on 45 – their flagship restaurant on the 45th floor. We had eaten there the week before and really enjoyed it Even though it was pricey, the food was good and the view spectacular.
Again I wasn't hungry and just opted for a starter and a little dessert while my husband had a small steak and we shared a Chilean bottle of wine. When the bill came (RMB 870) and my husband handed over his coupons he was told he could not use the coupons to pay.
Only one coupon for 100 RMB could be used and we would have to return another nine times (!!) each time to get 100 RMB off the meal ... by this time we were feeling thoroughly ripped off!!
Also, the sales rep had sold us coupons to use to use the hotel gym and pool but when I looked in at the pool which had a jacuzzi filled with noisy children splashing and doing who knows what in there, I decided to skip that. HOWEVER in our room was an invitation to use the pool and gym as guests of the hotel so to be sold tickets for a free facility was yet another rip-off.
We decided to try the spa anyway. My husband had a massage (Again no discount there with the coupons) while I had a pedicure (again no discount for a coupon).
I spent an uncomfortable, sleepless night – alone as the beds were too small for my husband and me to share. Both mattresses were way too soft (we like a firm mattress) , the room was stifling hot and there was a vague smell of sewage wafting in from who knows where. I awoke with an aching back, also to discover that we could also NOT use any of our coupons for breakfast.
Then as a further blow we discovered that the lunch coupons sold to my husband could not be used on a Sunday either! (the sales rep had SOLD us these coupons for a Saturday night, Sunday lunch as my husband had said that's when we would be using them... plus on his cellphone my husband has copies of the SMSes that the sales rep sent us assuring that we would get 50 percent off the Sunday lunch, which happened to be Mother's Day)
The next morning we went to speak to the Duty Manager, showed him my husband's cellphone with the SMS messages that guaranteed 50 percent off the "mother's day sunday lunch", plus his Radisson memberships card. The duty manager said he agreed the coupon sales were extremely misleading but that there was no way he could honour the 50 percent discount of a breakfast or lunch.
What a rip-off and a horrible end to what should have been a romantic trip with my husband. Incidentally had my husband booked us in using hotels dot com (which he usually does) this would have cost us nearly half of what he ended up paying. Fellow travellers be warned: if a Raddisson Blu representative calls and tries to sell you coupons or special offers from the hotel, my advice is to pick up your petticoats and run a mile!

Room Tip: Don't be fooled by offers of a "city view" until you have actually seen the room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank carolinetravelguru
Clive M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World.

I was most disappointed to read your review that you felt you didn’t receive value for money from our guest loyalty program. As you may be aware, we spoke with your husband as he was the one who purchased the program and he has mentioned he bought it in haste and didn’t review the terms and conditions. So, whilst I fully understand your concerns and empathize with you, I believe this is more a case of misunderstanding than any attempt to deceive. You may also be aware that we have arranged for a refund. We have many hundreds of satisfied guests that have purchased the program and I believe they certainly feel it’s amazing value for money.

Regards