“Great Location”

Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World
Ranked #38 of 5,159 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 17 November 2008

My wife and I stayed at the hotel twice during our trip to China. The first time was for 4 nights, then again for 5 nights.

The location is excellent, it is just a minutes walk from Nanjing Pedestrian Street and right across from People's Park and underground metro. It is also located next to several malls and restaurants. Even a starbucks thats in New World Mall (can enter the mall from the hotel lobby) or the Starbucks in People's Park.

The breakfast was not worth the money charged and therefore we only ate once. There was plenty of (obviously) Chinese foods and East Asian, but not too much Western Food. Room service was very fast and not too reasonable, but good food.

The view from the room was beautiful, on the first stay we had the Park view and on the second stay we had a view of Nanjing and the Pudong skyline. Both really nice.

The rooms were of quality furniture but really dated. I can imagine it looked real nice when first opened, but now needs new furniture.

Hotel staff very friendly and helpful, from reception to concierge to bellboys. There is an Australian supervisor who is there most days of the week, even though everyone else speaks excellent English.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CorruptedSanity

Reviewed 14 November 2008

A very nice hotel. I had a room overlooking people square that was excellent. Very centrally located, nearby some excellent shopping centres (try the food court of the 5th floor of Raffles Plaza - not the one on the ground floor). Also excellent location for the metro.

My only gripe is the area is full of people hassling you in the street, to the point where you feel pestered. As soon as you step out of the hotel you get offered 'massage by pretty girl', watches, iphones, and of course the well documented Shanghai scam where you get approached by good looking young women who ask you if you can help them improve their English. Google for the rest of the story!

• Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed 31 October 2008

We spent three nights in the Radisson. This was our first contact with Chinese hotels and made an excellent impression. We had booked a special offer for a Suite on the 35th floor, which included pick-up service at the airport (a relief after 12 hours of flight), fresh fruits daily in the room, english newspaper, free internet, etc. Everything was perfectly organized!
I can only confirm the positive comments of other fellow travelers regarding convenient location, friendliness and competence of the staff and cleanliness of the rooms.
I would add that the suite we got - although not overlooking Renmin Square, but the less appealing backside, heavily under construction - was very pleasant, quiet and spacious. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom functional.
While the buffet breakfast was rich and of excellent quality, the buffet dinner was less exciting. However this did not alter our general very positive impression. Anyway, if you are in Shanghai, you should not have dinner in a hotel but go out and look for genuine Chinese cuisine!!!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2008

I stayed 3 very pleasant nights at the Radisson New World for business and I was quite pleased with my stay. I found a rate through Expedia for just over $200/night including all taxes and surcharges. It's not a super luxury 5-star hotel on a par with, say, the Mandarin Oriental, but given that the location is as perfect as you can get in this sprawling, congested town, and that the rooms were clean and efficient, the value for money paid was outstanding. I would heartily recommend the hotel to other travelers of all sorts, besides perhaps those with incredibly deep pockets who need world-class luxury.

My room was clean, well appointed, and comfortable. Some have said the rooms were perhaps dated, but that was not my experience. The furniture was nice-looking and comfortable, the bed was plush and inviting, and the bathroom's granite sinktop was sturdy and luxurious. One of my favorite features was a double glass wall between the bathroom shower and the bedroom with a motorized venetian blind between the panes. This allowed privacy if you wanted it, but it also let me shower in full morning sunlight whilst being able to enjoy my commanding 23rd floor city view. In my case, both wired and wireless internet access were free and suitable if not blazing fast.

I have traveled frequently to Shanghai and tried a lot of hotels; none has matched the fantastic location of the Radisson. Set right on People's Square, busy Shanghai is right at the front doorstep. The proximity of several malls, a Starbucks, and several other coffee shops and restaurants are a blessing for those who don't want to eat massively overpriced hotel breakfasts (or other meals). The head of E. Nanjing Rd., a pedestrian shopping street, is just steps away. At the other end of Nanjing Road, just a pleasant (if touristy) walk, lies the Bund with its great views and bustle of activity. People's Park is a great place for a walk or just some relaxation, and the Shanghai Museum is also set on the park. Shopping street Huaihai Lu is walkable from the hotel. Central driving artery Yan'An Lu is also close by, making points further west and east, like Pudong, accessible by vehicle. The central location is all you can ask for if you want to see a lot of Shanghai.

I am not a heavy user of hotel services, so I am not usually the best indicator of how friendly the spa and restaurant staff are. Still, my somewhat limited interactions with staff were generally pleasant and up to the standards of a modern international hotel. I did order an airport transfer from Hongqiao airport, which was an embarrassing rookie mistake. The price was more than double the taxi ride I took out of Shanghai for the longer drive to Pudong Airport. But the concierge was later excellent in helping me procure an independent car service for a day's travel to Suzhou, even sending someone up to my room to take a business card so they could pinpoint my destination. Bellhops were convenient and helpful, there at the right times without being obtrusive or grabby as is often the case in this part of the world. Front desk staff were excellent, including the very pretty Japanese manager who checked me out with a big smile. The hostess in the roof restaurant was very accommodating in letting me have a walk around to enjoy the view without sitting for a meal. I even found some of the maids spoke some English.

I second some of the reviews that say you must have (exactly one) drink at the bar on the 47th floor. The band is so awful it is a must-see; the unintentional comedy is worth the stiff price of a single nightcap.

As a business traveler who has appointments all over Shanghai, but who also wants to be able to enjoy myself during my free time, I have stayed in 10 different hotels in 10 different trips to this city. On my next trip back, the Radisson will be my first repeat.

Stayed: October 2008
3  Thank Douglas3
Reviewed 17 September 2008

We stayed here for three nights.

The location of the Radisson Hotel is fantastic, right opposite Remin Square, and you can't miss it due to the big dome on the building. Its within walking distance of the Shanghai Museum and East Nanjing Road, where there are lots of shops and malls to browse in.

We were a little disappointed with the room however. We got upgraded upon arrival which was a great surpise, but when we got in we felt the decor was a little lacking and dated, and the room was smaller than we thought (admittedly due to the layout). However it was clean and we even got a turndown service at night.

The staff were helpful, although some of the English wasn't great, they were generally comprehendible.

The top floor bar is something else! The Filipino band that played there has to be seen to be believed (and we don't mean in a good way :)). They certainly could change this area to make it a bit funkier, but that's just an opinion.

So overall, the Radisson is a solid, dependable hotel, but I do think it is in need of a bit of a makeover.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2008

Haven't been in a big chain hotel in a long while after discovering boutique hotels. This is a good surprise. Very clean, nice rooms, excellent service. Great heated pool! Must commend the concierge staff as they were helpful through our whole stay. The hotel bar at the top of the hotel is quite cheesy and would recommend drinks at the lobby instead.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SwimBikeRunGirl
Reviewed 31 August 2008

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the hotel but in comparison to other 5 star hotels I've stayed in in Asia it was nothing special, or nothing to rave about. After looking at photos of the hotel I was expecting something great but was a little dissappointed. As other reviewers have stated, the hotel and rooms were very clean. I didn't find the staff at reception to be overly friendly and when I tried to find out where to dine I was told were the tourists usually go which was not really what I wanted. The Australian girl at reception was very nice and helpful.

The location was ok, it was a bit of a walk to get anywhere although it is near a metro station.

We had dinner at one of the restaurants one night and the chinese food seemed very westernised and it was very expensive (expected). I think I would book somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple