“A perfect place to stay”

Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World
Ranked #41 of 5,206 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 20 July 2010

I just got back from a trip to Shanghai, staying at the Radisson. I read the previous reviews and am happy to report it is indeed a great place to stay. The hotel interior is beautiful, the entire staff was helpful, the room had everything we needed, including a gorgeous bathroom, shower and tub, and it is in the heart of Shanghai with the metro right outside the hotel.

I was also very impressed with the concierge service, which secured 3-day passes for us to the World Expo. and answered each and every question we had. They also can book you on tours around the area, including local ancient water towns. In addition they have a very helpful travel agency inside, that for no charge, helped us change our flight return day so that we could stay even longer!

We spent 10 happy, comfortable days here and would definitely come back and stay here again. I know there are other 5-star hotels in the area, but this hotel, I believe is the best value and an incredibly nice hotel.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JGFrankPortland
Write a ReviewReviews (2,389)

Reviewed 19 July 2010

Perfect location for this hotel on the side of People's Square, right by the main central subway station and at the end of the main pedestrian shopping street. We used it as a base for sightseeing and visiting the EXPO - perfect for catching Line 8 south to the site.

A large "incidentals" deposit was demanded from me at checkin but luckily our Chinese guide was able to talk them down to half what they were asking. At the end of our week-long stay I also insisted they fax the bank there and then while I waited to cancel that charge on my credit card.

The hotel is a little confusing to get your bearings in as different lifts go to different places, but once mastered it was fine. We stayed half-way up the main tower of the hotel - we were overlooking the rear but it didn't really matter as we were out and about during the daytime. The rooms were standard sized but very clean and with particularly comfortable beds. A free daily newspaper in English arrived each morning and the complimentary internet was a good speed.

Highlights of the hotel were the excellent buffet breakfast (where else have you seen warm bread and butter pudding alongside everything else?!) and the large swimming pool and whirlpool.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2010

Stayed for 3 days at the end of June; standard room at a great rate -so good I was a little concerned! However, I had no reason to have worried. 34th floor room was spotless, roomy enough, excellent bathroom, great bed. Reception was well staffed, always several people around to help. Concierge always happy to help and advise...even when they weren't booking on our behalf! Staff always returned a smile with a smile -and were without exception polite. Indoor pool was very welcome.There is even a full size snooker table available. Location difficult to beat; step out of the front door -straight across is People's Square (metro is directly across the road -that is, an entrance is - depending on where yo want to go you may be sevral minutesd from a platform!), Museum, Planning Exhibition Hall -which is well worth a visit, honestly, etc. Turn left and there is the madness that is East Nanjing Road! Turn right and go to the affluence of West Nanjing Road....and behind the hotel you can see the "ordinary" people of Shanghai getting on with their life

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dorsetblue
Reviewed 10 July 2010

I recently have stayed in the Radisson Shanghai New World hotel with our family of 4. I booked a family suite which is a two bedroom 2 bath suite with a king bed in each room and a huge living room with kitchen. However I have to pay extra $60 a night because this room is allowing 2 people. I found it Ridiculous.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank goldroof
Reviewed 19 June 2010

5 star hotel with everything you desire and easy on the wallet/creditcard bill.
About the deluxe room: grand bath and shower (high pressure on the water, which was very nice). If you want, you can not just sing in the shower, but also dance.
Breakfast was complete and not mandatory to eat chinese all the time (or pizza hut) by going to the dinner buffet.
Perfect location in the heart of Shanghai. 45 min. driving from Pudong Int Airport, 5 min walking to the main (shopping street).
If you fancy doing yoga, you can hit the park across the street.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Sander_Stulemeijer
Reviewed 18 June 2010

This hotel has an awesome location on West Nanjing Road. Everything is within walking distance. The subway is right across the road - peoples square station. The east nanjing pedestrian street is connected right through from the hotel lobby and you dont have to really be out if it is raining. At the time of my check in, they upgraded me to a suite on the 33rd floor. The view was just amazing. The room was cozy and the bathroom was very nice. Some of my colleagues got rooms on the lower floors and they were complaining that the room is very very small. But not me! I was very happy with the room and the service provided by the hotel. The staff was friendly and courteous. One thing that did catch my eye was the number of pimps that were all over the place. Right outside the hotel and in the bar on the top floor (revolving restaurant). Being an experienced traveller, my eye is trained to catch such people in hotels. But here it doesnt need an experienced traveller to see what is so evident. However, this in no way is reflective of the hotel or their standards of service.

My stay was nice and I will go back and stay there on my next business trip to Shanghai.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank libra_nair
Reviewed 17 June 2010

Spent 3 days in and out of this hotel and had a great experience every time. We were upgraded to their executive rooms, with great views. The staff always greeted you with a nice smile .

Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business