“horrible experience”

and 1 more site!
Manhattan Bund Business Hotel
Ranked #1,158 of 5,160 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 31 January 2010

The only good thing about this hotel is the location which is close to the Bund (useless for us b/c it was under construction when we went so it was all blocked off), and close to Nanjing road--where all the shopping is at.

The standard room is tiny and smelly. Even the upgrade to Exec room was not impressive. There were gazillion mosquitoes everywhere in the hotel and in our room where we can hear the buzzing sound all day and all night. Dead bug on couch. Tub had yellow water.

Choose elsewhere!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 November 2009

We travelled for a quick business trip to Shanghai and stayed at this hotel because of its location. It is located in the Bund, walking distance away (6 or 7 blocks) from Nanjing road (the main shopping avenue).

The hotel is very clean. The room was small but had a 42'' plasma (with Chinese TV only) and a computer on the room with free internet. The window could not be open. The bathroom was small but OK.

This hotel is ideal for leisure travellers with little time to waste on taxis or subways (Shanghai's traffic can be really messy). I would not reccommended it for long stays or business trips.

Mrs Zhang in the front desk was very helpful and friendly and speaks really good English (which is not easy to find in many Chinese places).

Bottom line, it's a 3 star hotel, nothing fancy about it, and you get exactly what you are paying for.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 November 2009

If you are looking for just a room and don't need any help from the hotel, then this hotel would be perfect. The room was clean and comfortable (after travelling throughout Asia, the bed was a welcome change from usual hard pads). There were no windows in my room, which may not be ideal for couples, so I would suggest inquiring beforehand. I used the laundry service and I was quite pleased with the results. I wouldn't suggest the breakfast they serve. It's a cheap buffet, but they have tastier options outside. The location was nice, being situated right next to the bund and walking distance to the nearest subway station and mall. The wireless internet wasn't working properly for the duration of my stay.

This was the last extension of my trip, so I needed some help from the front desk for things.
1) I needed to make an international call. It didn't work. I was told to confirm the number and dial 011 first. I went back to my room and tried again but couldn't get it to work. I went back downstairs and waited in line again to be served. They then made a call to someone and told them to activate my phone. So I went upstairs and tried again. Didn't work. Then I went downstairs and waited in line again. I asked them to confirm what I have to dial to get out of China, and they told me 0011. So I went back and tried it, but it still didn't work. Long story short, I waited in line 5 times just to find out that the numbers they were giving me were wrong and they didn't bother to activate my phone first.
2) I needed help booking a day side trip. I asked them if they provide the service. The woman looked like this was a huge inconvenience and said I should go there myself to book it. I told her I didn't speak Mandarin and thought I needed some help. She assured me that they would speak English there. I also told her that I wanted to book it all in advance so that I would get a seat, but I didn't want to spend a day journeying to the ferry port just to book and come back again later. She assured me that if I went the day of when I wanted to go, I would get a seat. I asked her if she was sure, and she assured me I would be fine. Sure enough, I make the journey there and not only was the day trip that I wanted booked solid for the next two days, but all the other ones as well. Wasted an entire day and never got to do the side trip.
3) Wanted to exchange money, was told to come to the desk whenever I wanted. I came at 5pm and was told the exchange desk is only open from 9 to 4pm. I was seriously low on yuan and had to spend the night in the hotel because of it.
4) Asked for a map, was told that it would cost me money. I showed them a rather simplified map that I had and asked them to point something out on it, and they told me that just pointing out the spot would also cost me money.

So I guess the room charge is exactly that, a room charge only. Don't expect any help from the staff.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Ihearttraveljapan
Reviewed 15 October 2009

This hotel is in a good location but its quite odd. The rooms are really tiny and uncomfortable and some of the staff are unhelpful, but for the location its good value for money and I think you would struggle to find a better hotel for the price in a location so central.

We only stayed for four nights and it was okay. It did the job and served its purpose. We were happy to move on though. Four nights was definitely enough for us.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Based on tripadvisor reviews i booked a roomin this hotelwith a window. turns out window here means a fixed opaque glass pane. therefore no ventilation. with august temps rising above 30 degree celsisus, the hotel regularly switches of the central off or has a faulty AC system meaning around 3 a.m. you may wake up sweating and feeling suffocated and the fixwd glass 'window' can't be opened. they do nothing about it and the reception don't speak much english. room lighting is so bad that you feel you are in adungeon somewhere. everything feels damp and clammy. breakfast and bar/restaurant is overpriced. everything around resembles a huge construction site especially the bund. there are no location advantges by staying here as taxis are cheap and with so much construction, you can't really walk anywhere on the bund. go somewhere else unless you want to experience the black hole of calcutta

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2009

Stayed at this hotel from the 14-22nd of July for business. had booked a room through agoda and got a good price for the basic room. From Pudong airport, i took the maglev to longyang rd. then the metro line 2 to Nanjin rd. east (cost 50+4 rmb) in total. The hotel is located a 10 minute walk from the metro station. Perfect location for access to the city in my view. two mini markets are located 1 minute away, and you can choose among a japanese/chinese, plus two chinese local restaurants within 2 minutes walking.

Rooms
From the other reviews of this hotel, I was prepared for the small room size, so this was no problem when i saw that this was actually very true. Unfortunately I was disturbed the first night, by the aircon, which is directly above the head of the bed. Even while off, there was a strong draft sound, throughout the night from the airvent, which made me ask for a new room the following day. I got a new room with no problem, that was a bit bigger, and here the sound from the airvent was a little less disturbing.. Only real criticism I have of both the rooms is that the humidity in the room, felt very high, through the 7 days I stayed here. Even though the hygrometre showed about 55-65, my clothes in the suitcase was cold and wet, even though I had not unpacked it. Same thing goes for the bed and linning. I have a theory about the hotel in general is using a bad centralized airconditioning system for the rooms.

Staff and other services
The staff present during my stay was very friendly and treated me well. English knowledge is okay for basic inquiries. I never used the restaurant or any other services the hotel offered, except from the FREE wireles internet, which was a great thing. Only the wireless connection is free, LAN costs 30 rmb a day. The hotel in general is nicely decorated and has dimmed light.

PS. If you do not already have a plan for your visit, I recommend getting a personal guide. I can personally recommend Aron, who has helped me: shanghailocalguide.com. Another tip is to make a survival list with the 10-15 most basic Chinese words and sentences and take it with you every where.

Best regards C.B.Pedersen

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank doubleuponthejuice
Reviewed 21 July 2009

You can tell this used to be a grand hotel. Not anymore..
When we first checked in we got to our room, a tiny cot with no window, even though we booked with window. As the error was corrected we got to a slightly larger, as dated and dirty room. Extremely hot, dirty bathroom and dated interior.

On the plus side, the location is pretty good, and I guess it is hard to find a hotel this cheap as central as it is. If you can handle bug bites, then go for it!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends