“Vintage Comfort”

Ranked #663 of 5,032 Hotels in Shanghai
Los Angeles
“Vintage Comfort”
Reviewed 4 July 2010

To get to the hotel take the Maglev train from Pudong Airport (PVG) to Longyang Road Station. At Longyang Road Station transfer to subway line 2 and get off at East Nanjing Road Station. When you exit East Nanjing Road Station make a right, heading east, until you reach Jiangxi Road. Head north on Jiangxi road until you reach Dianchi Road. Make a right on Dianchi Road to go east toward the hotel. You should see it after a couple blocks. (It's behind the very large Peace Hotel) This is about a ten minute walk.

I stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend, mom, and brother (2 rooms for the four of us).
I absolutely loved the bathrooms because they were clean, modern, and had great showers but the bathroom's door was transparent so that may be a problem for some guests. We had basic rooms (the cheapest) and they were a fair size with large beds. The rooms have no windows but if you're only in the hotel to sleep and gone for the most part this shouldn't really be a problem.
The interior decoration of the hotel is vintage, funky, and kind of has a 1970's feel to it.
The location of the hotel is excellent because it's a 5 minute walk to the Bund, is close to the subway, and is close to the famous East Nanjing Road.
The staff has moderate English skills and is generally friendly and helpful.
This is not a luxury hotel if that is what you're looking for but it's cute, basic, and great if you're on a budget. I recommend it for students, couples, and quick travelers.
The hotel offers free wi-fi, free tea bags, free local phone service, free TV, and free bottled water.
The only complaint I have about the hotel is the humidity in the rooms. My mum and brother were in a room on the second floor and the AC seemed to work fine in their room so humidity wasn't really a problem for them but for my boyfriend and I it was. We had a room on the 4th floor and the humidity was bothersome there because the AC seemed to loose strength at certain times during the night which would make the room somewhat humid. It wasn't horrible but it has the potential to interrupt your sleep on really hot/humid days.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 7 June 2010

From the first minute during Check-in up to the departure we felt we are not welcome at all. The young girl on the desk was extremely unfriendly while non of our question would be answered in an helpful or at least respectful manner. The We did not get the room level and amenities (child bed) we requested when we did the reservation, nor was there any chance to talk to someone in charge for it.
In summary, don't go there if you don't have to!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Shanghai hotels

Toronto
Reviewed 31 January 2010

The only good thing about this hotel is the location which is close to the Bund (useless for us b/c it was under construction when we went so it was all blocked off), and close to Nanjing road--where all the shopping is at.

The standard room is tiny and smelly. Even the upgrade to Exec room was not impressive. There were gazillion mosquitoes everywhere in the hotel and in our room where we can hear the buzzing sound all day and all night. Dead bug on couch. Tub had yellow water.

Choose elsewhere!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Montevideo, Uruguay
Reviewed 30 November 2009

We travelled for a quick business trip to Shanghai and stayed at this hotel because of its location. It is located in the Bund, walking distance away (6 or 7 blocks) from Nanjing road (the main shopping avenue).

The hotel is very clean. The room was small but had a 42'' plasma (with Chinese TV only) and a computer on the room with free internet. The window could not be open. The bathroom was small but OK.

This hotel is ideal for leisure travellers with little time to waste on taxis or subways (Shanghai's traffic can be really messy). I would not reccommended it for long stays or business trips.

Mrs Zhang in the front desk was very helpful and friendly and speaks really good English (which is not easy to find in many Chinese places).

Bottom line, it's a 3 star hotel, nothing fancy about it, and you get exactly what you are paying for.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Japan
Reviewed 2 November 2009

If you are looking for just a room and don't need any help from the hotel, then this hotel would be perfect. The room was clean and comfortable (after travelling throughout Asia, the bed was a welcome change from usual hard pads). There were no windows in my room, which may not be ideal for couples, so I would suggest inquiring beforehand. I used the laundry service and I was quite pleased with the results. I wouldn't suggest the breakfast they serve. It's a cheap buffet, but they have tastier options outside. The location was nice, being situated right next to the bund and walking distance to the nearest subway station and mall. The wireless internet wasn't working properly for the duration of my stay.

This was the last extension of my trip, so I needed some help from the front desk for things.
1) I needed to make an international call. It didn't work. I was told to confirm the number and dial 011 first. I went back to my room and tried again but couldn't get it to work. I went back downstairs and waited in line again to be served. They then made a call to someone and told them to activate my phone. So I went upstairs and tried again. Didn't work. Then I went downstairs and waited in line again. I asked them to confirm what I have to dial to get out of China, and they told me 0011. So I went back and tried it, but it still didn't work. Long story short, I waited in line 5 times just to find out that the numbers they were giving me were wrong and they didn't bother to activate my phone first.
2) I needed help booking a day side trip. I asked them if they provide the service. The woman looked like this was a huge inconvenience and said I should go there myself to book it. I told her I didn't speak Mandarin and thought I needed some help. She assured me that they would speak English there. I also told her that I wanted to book it all in advance so that I would get a seat, but I didn't want to spend a day journeying to the ferry port just to book and come back again later. She assured me that if I went the day of when I wanted to go, I would get a seat. I asked her if she was sure, and she assured me I would be fine. Sure enough, I make the journey there and not only was the day trip that I wanted booked solid for the next two days, but all the other ones as well. Wasted an entire day and never got to do the side trip.
3) Wanted to exchange money, was told to come to the desk whenever I wanted. I came at 5pm and was told the exchange desk is only open from 9 to 4pm. I was seriously low on yuan and had to spend the night in the hotel because of it.
4) Asked for a map, was told that it would cost me money. I showed them a rather simplified map that I had and asked them to point something out on it, and they told me that just pointing out the spot would also cost me money.

So I guess the room charge is exactly that, a room charge only. Don't expect any help from the staff.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Ihearttraveljapan
Braine-l'Alleud, Belgium
Reviewed 15 October 2009

This hotel is in a good location but its quite odd. The rooms are really tiny and uncomfortable and some of the staff are unhelpful, but for the location its good value for money and I think you would struggle to find a better hotel for the price in a location so central.

We only stayed for four nights and it was okay. It did the job and served its purpose. We were happy to move on though. Four nights was definitely enough for us.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Based on tripadvisor reviews i booked a roomin this hotelwith a window. turns out window here means a fixed opaque glass pane. therefore no ventilation. with august temps rising above 30 degree celsisus, the hotel regularly switches of the central off or has a faulty AC system meaning around 3 a.m. you may wake up sweating and feeling suffocated and the fixwd glass 'window' can't be opened. they do nothing about it and the reception don't speak much english. room lighting is so bad that you feel you are in adungeon somewhere. everything feels damp and clammy. breakfast and bar/restaurant is overpriced. everything around resembles a huge construction site especially the bund. there are no location advantges by staying here as taxis are cheap and with so much construction, you can't really walk anywhere on the bund. go somewhere else unless you want to experience the black hole of calcutta

Stayed August 2009, travelled with family