“Good location, great staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Royal Meridien Shanghai

Ranked #40 of 4,969 Hotels in Shanghai
kansas city
“Good location, great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Nice location. Right on the Nanjing road. Good customer service, friendly staff, clean comfortable rooms. Great breakfast buffet. Friendly and helpful staff. Free internet in the lobby so that you do not have to fork out 20 dollars per day like some of the other hotels charge you. Overall a great hotel and would have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank fromkc10
Leroyalmeridien_sh, Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback with us. We look forward to seeing you soon for your next trip in Shanghai.

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jakarta, Indonesia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel previously in 2010 and have good memories of the experience. I am not sure what happened in the meantime but it seems standards have been allowed to slip beyond the stars promoted for this hotel. We have spent the last 5 days at a 4 star hotel in Pudong and have now moved here for the next 3 days. So maybe my discontent is being somewhat cooerced by my (very good) experience at the last hotel. OK. So we move to this hotel. Check in process was fine. The check in woan took us to the elevator - good touch. Bags delivered in reasonable timeframe. Good. Nice touch to have someone show the details of the room (air-conditioning, safe, coffee making facilities etc) - but noone did this. The room was very hot but we assumed it was empty for some time and the air-con had just been turned on. So we went out for a walk on Nanjing Lu. We came back 3 hours later to a room that we still like a sauna. We called reception and they sent an engineer, which ended up being 2 engineers and 1 hour later (after we sat sweating) they told us the problem was fixed. OK good. We then went down to the club lounge with a friend my wifes. Every table was full. So what do we do now? They smiled and shrugged. I guess that means too late, sorry, bye. We ventured to ask a guest who was sitting alone at a table with 4 chairs if we could use the table and he kindly agreed. I did mention to one of the waitresses that I would like topay the RMB 150++ for our guest. She was surprised at this and asked me if i was sure. I said well yes. Anyway when we were about to leave I received a bill for 2 guests. 2 guests? I told the staff that I checked into the hotel with my wife and we took a guest to the lounge so why am I getting charged for 2 guests. They told me that our room number is only registered for 1 guest (even though we both signed registration papers and showed our passports), and therefore I had to pay for my 2 guests. After I showed my discontent I did receive an apology and the offer the waive the guest charge. I politely declined. Appreciated the offer though. OK so again my perception may have been clouded by the excellent service i received at the hotel in Pudong. Anyway I am confident that the management will see this feedback and it may help them improve the experiences for other guests. BTW this is in no way a reflection on all SPG hotels - as we usually enjoy good experiences at their sites.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank jasongwill
Leroyalmeridien_sh, Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your recent stay with us did not meet the expectations that previous stay had provided for you.

The level of detail provided in your review is important for us, so we know exactly how we can improve for future experiences.

Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood hotels, we look forward to your return.

Shanghai, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

Was recommended to try the Dim Sum by a friend and wow, we were not disappointed:)

We ordered the usual steamed dim sums in baskets, the Har Kau (prawn dumplings) was so nice with XO sauce. The Rice Rolls with BBQ pork was delicious with the soy sauce.

Definitely a nice pleasant meal as the tea was kept hot by a burner, a real 5 star treat.
Only service was a little short but staff was pleasant.

Outside the restaurant, the aquarium was a good tattraction to keep the kids occupied.

Will definitely returned to try the different dishes soon.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thanks for sharing your review with us.

It’s great to know that your family had a pleasant dining experience in our Ai Mei Chinese Restaurant.

Thanks for your positive comments and we’d like to welcome you back soon.

Shanghai, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

Spent 2 hours at the RM Shanghai for business last night. As we say in China, the "hardware" is fine - nice design and layout.

But the staff...obviously recruited from don't-give-a-damn State Owned Enterprises!

1. At 789 bar, reception staff repeatedly failed to understand that guests arriving for our event should be escorted to our area, instead of ignored or sent to the wrong floor. Literally had to tell them 3x, and still they just didn't give a crap.

2. After event started, was extremely difficult to get service - and that's for their overpriced drinks! When we wanted a second tiny plate of cheapy nuts to eat...forget it!

3. When we left, it was raining. Very long line for taxis. 4..FOUR staff standing around in warm coats, joking and laughing (with umbrellas close at hand, of course). When guests asked them to help us get taxis (by walking out onto Jiujiang Road, where we could all see empty taxis passing)....their answer..."But it's RAINING!"

This place looks like a 5 Star hotel, but the staff attitude is 0 stars.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Monsieur_Henri
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your experiences with us. I want to apologize for the inconveniences you went through at our hotel.

The problems you encountered at 789 Bar and door service at Taxi Queue during your stay are not typical of the service we offer, and I regret that you were unable to address these concerns prior to your departure. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly about your stay. Please feel free to contact me at gsm.shanghai@lemeridien.com so I can investigate this further to prevent similar events from occurring.

johannesburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

I was in Shanghai for a 3 day business conference, and was very happy with the Royal Meridien. I had to extend the stay by a day, and the corporate rate of 150usd was applied to that also, which i thought was a nice touch.

Service was consistently friendly & effective, and the rooms were a good size, modern & clean. Location of the hotel is good, with east access to most areas of interest in the city.

I only had breakfast there, but the food was perfectly acceptable.

My only objection was the gearing system on the lifts, which led to multiple lift changes for different floors, which was a little aggravating, but a small issue really.

Room Tip: go as high as possible, the views are excellent
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Leroyalmeridien_sh, Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments - it's always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels.
We are all looking forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future and providing you with another memorable experience.

Sendai, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

I stayed here by myself on business in March 2012 for one night.

As the title says, I have mixed feelings about this hotel. I would probably give it five stars for the building/room/location, and three for the service/staff interactions.

The good:

-Great views
-Modern and clean room: bathroom design a good blend of stylish and user-friendly
-Lots of complientary water
-Welcome fruit plate and (very good) cookies
-Lounge very good: great views of Pudong, comfortable and spacious, lots of food (breakfast, afternoon tea, and evening nibbles/drinks)
-Location is great: right on East Nanjing pedestrian shopping street, and a short walk from the Bund
-Very quiet room

The bad:

-Hotel is hard to find from Nanjing East Road (hidden inside commercial building with few/small signs)
-The staff, with a couple of notable exceptions, are not friendly or welcoming. Efficient but brusque to the point of rudeness, and on one occasion lack of English proficiency caused a problem

Overall:

This is a great hotel that could fulfill its potential if the staff kicked things up a notch. I would consider staying here for the views and the great room, but based on my experience this time I would not expect five star service.

Room Tip: There are three types of views at this hotel: people's square, Bund/Pudong, and one other. Might...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank sendaiben
Dear guest,

Thanks for choosing Le Royal Meridien shanghai and sharing your experience with us.

Your detail feedback has provided us with very valuable information that we can review and improve for future experiences.

Look forward to your return to experience our service improvement in the near future.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing bad about this hotel, but for the price range one can find better in Shanghai. We stayed in a Junior suite, aside from dirty windows (which slightly obscured the view) the service was good. It's a reliable hotel, so for first timers its definitely a good place to stay. It's safe and predictable; service doesn't falter from day to day, it's in a good location, it has English speakers, the rooms are clean, if you need help they will accommodate like any other 5 star hotel.

But at the same time this consistency and similarity to other hotels is what makes it slightly boring. There was nothing spectacular or out of the ordinary. The staff didn't go out of their way, the room wasn't amazing, atmosphere wasn't unforgettable. There is nothing unique about it, it feels like any other 5-star hotel in any other city.

I've stayed at other Shanghai hotels that give you an experience that you feel is unique.
So if you want something memorable this isn't the hotel to stay at, if you want something "safe" because this is your first time and you don't want to deal with extra frills then by all means stay here.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Junior suite so it was pretty roomy and had a "supposedly' good view. Howeve...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple