“Spectacular Views, Mixed Service”

Ranked #37 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
New York City, New York
“Spectacular Views, Mixed Service”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

First the good: The hotel is in the dead center of Shanghai and the views are spectacular. From our 42nd floor room, we saw Peoples' Square and beyond, day and night and that is really worth the price. As is usual for a Starwood property, most of the staff were friendly, helpful and efficient, making guests feel truly welcome. The room was well appointed, clean and comfortable, if a bit smallish.

However, the concierge staff were less than helpful when it came to information about public transportation. The final bill had a large mystery charge on it ("luxury package"), which in all fairness, was removed when I protested.

We ate in the hotel's Italian restaurant. Here the Meridien really fell down. Staff, while efficient, were cold and arrogant, the food was mediocre in quality and miniscule in quantity and the prices were extremely high relative to what one got. My guests and I were very disappointed.

In sum - excellent location, great views, most (but not all) of the staff very pleasant and helpful. Will I return to this hotel? No.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this review, 7 April 2012
Dear Reviewer, thank you for sharing your Le Royal Meridien experience with our friends at tripadvisor. I would also like to apologise for not having performed above your expectations, to which there is no excuse. I will be personally following up with our concierge as well as team in Favola, our Italian dining venue, to seek ways to improve our guest experience in the future.

The team and I do hope to be of service again in the future and please feel free to contact me peronsally should your travels bring you back through Shanghai. I can be reached at daniel.aylmer@lemeridien.com

Keep Discovering!

Daniel Aylmer
Le Royal Meridien Shanghai

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melaka, Malaysia
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Stayed for 5 days to attend a conference held in the hotel. It's equipped with great meeting and ballrooms for the event. Wifi is free at the lobby and CNY100/24h in the rooms. My room was on 30th floor with great view of the city's park and skyline. Bed was very comfy and clean. Amenities include iron/board, hair dryer & scale (didn't use them), classy work desk with ethernet port and power sockets (incl. type G at 220V). Location was fantastic with back door access to Nanjing road and very near Metro station (People's Park).
The lobby was confusingly located on 11th floor; few who looked for the reception on ground floor had to be re-directed to the lifts. Lifts to the guestrooms also segmented to different sets of floor levels and it's likely one will use the wrong one the first time.
Not all guest handling staff had good command of verbal English but still better than what you'll face outside.
I'll stay there again if I have the money. It's quite expensive.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank 9dr7
Leroyalmeridien_sh, Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you staying with us and taking the time to share your experience online.

It is delightful to see that you enjoyed our guestroom amenities and facilities, and that our fantastic location adds to your convenience. As you mentioned, our lobby is located on L floor and please be reassured that our associates are always more than willing to show you the way or guide you through.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future!

Kruisland, The Netherlands
Reviewed 29 March 2012

This hotel is wonderful, especially when traveling for business. Very spacy and nice rooms, offering all comfort. I have been there 3 times in 6 months and we always go back so we are sure to have the best and relaxing place to stay. Very good Spa and massages!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank laylasofie
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Dear Reviewer, thank you for sharing your recent stay feedback with our friends at Tripadvisor.com and we are both delighted and humbled to have received a full score. The team and I do hope to be of service to you should your travels bring you back through Shanghai for a new discovery.

Daniel Aylmer
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 March 2012

At 1500 RMB per night, with free internet access, an excellent hotel in an expesnive city. The view from the 55th floor room over Shanghai at night was stunning, and the room came with a guide to the view. The Bathroom deisgn is brilliant, even enabling you to watch TV while you bathe or shower, with an electric blind if you eant privacy. Restaraunts are good quality and good value for a 5 star hotel. Super comfortable bed !

Room Tip: High floors give you the best views. If you want to limit Trips in different elevators, ask for a ro...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Le Royal Meridien Shanghai!
We appreciate you taking the time to issue such brilliant comments - it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their stay with us. And we are glad to find that our guestroom facilities and restaurant food serve you well, guest satisfaction is always of our first priority.

We look forward to your kind patronage in the future!

kansas city
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Nice location. Right on the Nanjing road. Good customer service, friendly staff, clean comfortable rooms. Great breakfast buffet. Friendly and helpful staff. Free internet in the lobby so that you do not have to fork out 20 dollars per day like some of the other hotels charge you. Overall a great hotel and would have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank fromkc10
Leroyalmeridien_sh, Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback with us. We look forward to seeing you soon for your next trip in Shanghai.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 24 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel previously in 2010 and have good memories of the experience. I am not sure what happened in the meantime but it seems standards have been allowed to slip beyond the stars promoted for this hotel. We have spent the last 5 days at a 4 star hotel in Pudong and have now moved here for the next 3 days. So maybe my discontent is being somewhat cooerced by my (very good) experience at the last hotel. OK. So we move to this hotel. Check in process was fine. The check in woan took us to the elevator - good touch. Bags delivered in reasonable timeframe. Good. Nice touch to have someone show the details of the room (air-conditioning, safe, coffee making facilities etc) - but noone did this. The room was very hot but we assumed it was empty for some time and the air-con had just been turned on. So we went out for a walk on Nanjing Lu. We came back 3 hours later to a room that we still like a sauna. We called reception and they sent an engineer, which ended up being 2 engineers and 1 hour later (after we sat sweating) they told us the problem was fixed. OK good. We then went down to the club lounge with a friend my wifes. Every table was full. So what do we do now? They smiled and shrugged. I guess that means too late, sorry, bye. We ventured to ask a guest who was sitting alone at a table with 4 chairs if we could use the table and he kindly agreed. I did mention to one of the waitresses that I would like topay the RMB 150++ for our guest. She was surprised at this and asked me if i was sure. I said well yes. Anyway when we were about to leave I received a bill for 2 guests. 2 guests? I told the staff that I checked into the hotel with my wife and we took a guest to the lounge so why am I getting charged for 2 guests. They told me that our room number is only registered for 1 guest (even though we both signed registration papers and showed our passports), and therefore I had to pay for my 2 guests. After I showed my discontent I did receive an apology and the offer the waive the guest charge. I politely declined. Appreciated the offer though. OK so again my perception may have been clouded by the excellent service i received at the hotel in Pudong. Anyway I am confident that the management will see this feedback and it may help them improve the experiences for other guests. BTW this is in no way a reflection on all SPG hotels - as we usually enjoy good experiences at their sites.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jasongwill
Leroyalmeridien_sh, Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your recent stay with us did not meet the expectations that previous stay had provided for you.

The level of detail provided in your review is important for us, so we know exactly how we can improve for future experiences.

Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood hotels, we look forward to your return.

Shanghai, China
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Was recommended to try the Dim Sum by a friend and wow, we were not disappointed:)

We ordered the usual steamed dim sums in baskets, the Har Kau (prawn dumplings) was so nice with XO sauce. The Rice Rolls with BBQ pork was delicious with the soy sauce.

Definitely a nice pleasant meal as the tea was kept hot by a burner, a real 5 star treat.
Only service was a little short but staff was pleasant.

Outside the restaurant, the aquarium was a good tattraction to keep the kids occupied.

Will definitely returned to try the different dishes soon.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thanks for sharing your review with us.

It’s great to know that your family had a pleasant dining experience in our Ai Mei Chinese Restaurant.

Thanks for your positive comments and we’d like to welcome you back soon.