“A nice retreat in Shanghai”

Ranked #37 of 5,147 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 30 April 2012

A warm welcome was so nice after a long flight to Shanghai. A very accomodating staff and comfortable rooms makes this my favorite hoyel in Shanghai.
The location is wonderful. I love that some of the best soup dumplings in Shanghai are only a 10 minute walk and although you're located in the hub on "new" Shanghai you can easily walk into the streets of "old" Shanghai for a true experience. So that said when your done with the old you enter this hotel for the comfort of the west. Very attentive staff who always are there to help and guide with a smile on their face. This is the only hotel I stay in in Shanghai after staying at other 5 star properties.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Dear Reviewer - thank you for sharing your feedback with our friends and partners at Tripadvisor.com and more so for a Full Satisfaction Score. I too enjoy being able to wander the local streets to find some of Shanghai's local delicacies. Should your travels bring you back through our exciting city, do let me know know and I would be delighted to show you around some of my personal favourites.

Le Royal Merieidn Shanghai

Reviewed 30 April 2012

First time visit for more than a week on a business travel.

Room was located on 32st floor, no noise from the street traffic, no noise from the from the other rooms. A good sized room, king size bed, nice table, nice bathroom - though it took me a while to figure out the different tools and shower options.

The service was outstanding: smiling, helpful staff everywhere (understand that it is based on training and cultural, still a wonderful experience). Very nice room service, laundry (though quite expensive). WiFi coverage was not good, had frequent connection losses.

Food delicious - seven to nine cooking points serving Sushi, Asian food (Dim Sum, noodles soups, sweets, European meat, ... ) - except the more Western style food which I personally found quite boring (dry meat, bad quality, random taste). But with this huge choice of alternatives this is no reduction in rating. Even with a special "Coffee Bar" within the restaurant I found the quality of Espresso and Cappuccino quite outdated (plenty of milk, chocolate powder, no taste of the good coffee).

The room itself could benefit from a general renovation. Many power plugs were loose so my adapters and chargers could not make a connection. Some stains under the shower and door angles. Some dents in the tables. But still complaining at a very high level.

The streets in the area offer food alternatives, shopping opportunities and many people to see and speak to. In general I would love to come back and enjoy the stay again.

Room Tip: The higher, the better.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer, thank you for sharing your feedback with our friends at tripadvisor.com and for the positive review. I will be sharing your feedback snad suggestions with the team today to ensure improvements where possible will be swiftly made.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai is a lovely hotel and its location is possibly one of the best in Shanghai. It's stunning views give guests an unparalleled visage of the city. Exiting the hotel also opens the door to many great options. Nanjing Road, People's Park and the Bund are all a short walk.For the most part, it is a very good choice for a hotel.

However, our experience was marked by a couple small frustrations. First, the hotel has a strange elevator layout. You must take an elevator to the lobby and the change to go to the hotel. It also has the added security of using your room key. This made the process of coming and going to our room a bit cumbersome.

Next, the food was really not up to par with my prior experience with this brand of hotel. The lobby restaurant's breakfast did not compare the small coffee shop sitting outside at the base of the hotel in either taste or price. We ended up dining at "Blue Mountain" each day rather than eating in the hotel.

We had a drink and some bar appetizers and again, the food was very average and expensive. Last, we dined in the restaurant in the late evening and it was the same story. Average food at high prices. I am always inclined to pay more for quality and I recognize a lovely hotel such as this will charge more. However, I do expect more for the price and this was not the case.

Last, the staff at the concierge desk was less than helpful on a couple of incidences. First, I asked to borrow an umbrella as the rain suddenly appeared. The desk clerk responded, "You have one in your room." The aforementioned elevator maze almost encouraged me to deal with the down pour rather than return.

On a second visit to the desk, I asked directions to the Bund from the lobby. Without lifting his eyes from the computer, the clerk pointed to the door and said "Right on Nanjing." In both cases, it was not the level of service I would expect from any hotel, no matter the number of stars. The staff at the front desk were all professional and pleasant but not amazing.

In all, I would still return to Le Royal Meridien Shanghai. It certainly is a beautiful spot and there are so many different food options in the city center, dining is not really a concern. Considering its wonderful location, the well appointed room and amazing views, it certainly is a great way to enjoy the best Shanghai has to offer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Bund! Views of Pudong are epic!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer - thank you for sharing your feedback with our friends at tripadvisor.com. Whilst we appreciate the positive review, we are disappointed not to have exceeded your expectations this visit. Rest assured that we will review your feedback and suggestions to ensure we are of better service in the future.

Reviewed 26 April 2012

The hotel is very new. If you get higher levels, you can also have good view of Shanghai and Nanjing Road. It's just in the people square and close to the metro. But people square is always fully packed with people from all over China and now all over the world.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Dear Reviewer - WOW! Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay in our hotel with our friends at tripadvisor.com and we are humbled to have received a full score. The team and I do hope to be of service again in the future should your travels bring you through our exciting city of Shanghai.

Reviewed 25 April 2012

I spend many days of the year in China and when in Shanghai I like to stay around Nanjing Road as its an interesting and busy bustling area.
Le Royal Meridien Shanghai is on Nanjing Road adjacent to Peoples Square and is ideally placed.
I highly recommend you pay the extra to stay in one of the Royal Club rooms. They are spacious, very well equipped and with comfortable beds and the Bund views in the evening from these upper floors is also amazing.
But the best reason for choosing a Royal Club level is the Lounge on Floor 44. The staff are extremely professional & welcoming and even though I arrive from London before midday I am always able to check-in. The breakfast in the morning through to the dinner tasters in the evening are very welcome when your body is still trying to adjust to the time difference.

I've stayed at many hotels around the world and can honestly say that the Club Lounge at Le Royal Meridien is probably the best of all of them!

You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Choose either the King room or Junior Suite on the Club level with a Bund view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Dear Reviewer - WOW! thank you for your feedback on your recent stay in our hotel and we are delighted to receive a full score. The team and I look forward in being of service should your travels bring you back through our exciting city of Shanghai.

Le Royal Meridien Shangha

Reviewed 23 April 2012

The best for me was the location. Easy access to metro and right in the center near the Bund.

Rooms are big, standard business hotel.

The breakfast was too expensive

Room Tip: Avoid rooms above ventilation. Noise begin at 6 am
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer - thank you for staying with us during your recent stay in Shanghai and for sharing your feedback with our partners at Tripadvisor.com. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and do hope to be of service again in the future.

Reviewed 21 April 2012

Our stay here was a very pleasant one and I would be happy to stay again. The location is excellent and the rates seem reasonable. The Bund view room we chose did indeed have a spectacular view. The rooms are comfortable and the breakfast is varied and good.
A few small pieces of (hopefully) constructive criticism:
The room wasn't quite set up for the two occupants it was booked for, only one set of slippers was in the room. It's only a small point, but in a five star hotel it is attention to detail (or lack of it) that makes one stand out from the next.
At the egg station for breakfast, the server asked how the eggs should be cooked and then ignored the request and ignored attempts to stop.
The baby high chair we were kindly provided with at breakfast on the first morning was quite dirty, with the appearance of more than one morning's grime.
The following morning at breakfast a staff member took the high chair from our table, even though I was sitting with the baby on my knee and asked him to leave it (in Chinese & English) he was just distracted, but the lack of attention is frustrating.
So overall a good experience in a busy hotel and with these small points taken on-board it would be truly five star.

Stayed: April 2012
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2012

Dear Reviewer - thank you for your honest feedback and suggestions for the hotel and I will be sharing with the team today. I could not agree with you more that it is the details that make a hotel great, to which we strive for here at Le Royal Meridien in Shanghai.

The team and I do look forward in being of service again in the future.

Keep Discovering!