“Excellent Lodgings”

Ranked #38 of 5,069 Hotels in Shanghai
Sydney
“Excellent Lodgings”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Great location right on Nanjing Road (although taxis seem to know it by saying Shimao, and not Le Meridien). The checkin was very friendly and quick and while the elevators were complicated there was enough people to show which way to go to the right ones. The room is very modern and amazing views over Shanghai with the giant windows. The breakfast spread was superb and I spent a lot longer there and ate a lot more than usual! They have a brunch on Sundays which looked really good and busy but I already had plans to go outside so I didn't sample it. the bed was very comfortable and the room nice and light. The bathroom is a bit open plan and quite trendy I suppose.

Room Tip: Great views from higher floors.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Dear Reviewer,

We are so honored to read such a positive review from our guest. Thank you for sharing your feedback with our friends at Tripadvisor.com. The team and I are looking forward to being of service again in the near future.

Best regards,

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 13 October 2013

This is a beautiful high rise hotel with great service. The lobby is on something like the 15th floor which is not common in American hotels but maybe more common over here. That said it takes a little while to get from the ground floor to the lobby. The staff was very attentive and helpful. The allowed me to convert some money to Chinese yuan or remimbi (same thing). The hotel itself is in a very big building that was easily identifiable when looking at the skyline. I liked it architecturally and the public places were very modern with lots of marble and clean lines. While Le Meridien does not have as many locations in the US they are part of the Starwood chain along with Westin and Sheraton and I found it be similar to a Westin which is one of my favorite chains.

I ate at the restaurant buffet one night and it was good although I dont think I would have raw octopus again, I did enjoy the other offerings. The hotel was close to our company's offices overlooking Peoples Square and the Shanghai museum and other public buildings which is a great space in a city that seemed to have limited green space. I did enjoy the dramatic views from the hotel bar at the top of the hotel. You have great views of the surrounding buildings and the high rises in the Pudong area. I will say meals at the hotel were generally far more expensive than eating out at other restaurants I went to by and large part. This was also true of their breakfast buffet. There is a nice mall a couple blocks away towards Peoples Square and it is also close to a number of high end shops on Nanjing Rd. as well and a short walk to the Bund.

I will say that one thing I really did not care for the open view of the bathroom area into the living room area of the room through the clear glass window. Being the only one in the room it was not a problem but if I were sharing the room I would have found that uncomfortable. Also regarding the bathrooms, they had a nice tub as well as a rain shower. You definitely should try the rain shower it was very nice. They also had some great terry cloth robes that were nice after a relaxing shower.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank traveling_wildcat123
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Wow, thank you so much for such a great review regarding your recent stay.

We are glad that you had a great stay at the hotel, especially enjoyed the convenient location, stunning views and attentive service. Meanwhile we appreciate your suggestions and comments in the areas that we still have space to improve.

Thank you very much and we hope to be of service again in the near future!

Ipoh, Malaysia
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Exquisite decor, VIP treatment, prime location, best describe Le Royal Meridien Shanghai. Don't miss their breakfast buffet spread... it is sumptuous! Nanjing Rd. and the Pedestrian Mall is right next to the hotel. Look out for the signboard at the ground floor that will lead you there. There is a metro station a short walk away if you need to travel far distance. Taxi is more convenient for nearer destinations though finding one in a rainstorm will be impossible and there will be a long queue of guests waiting. There is a smartphone in your room if you need a mobile. The room has all the amenities you need. They have thought out everything for their guests. Pull the curtains apart and catch the breath-taking view of brightly-lit buildings at night. I like the housekeeper who offers to clean the room in the evening. She will give you a great big smile and greeting everytime. Hotel staff understands English, some speak very well too. Guest relations is excellent. Overall, top notch!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew2008
Dear Reviewer,

We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments - it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. I have shared your review with our team and we are looking forward to welcoming you back and providing you another memorable stay very soon.

Santa Clara, California
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Pros:

1. Location is pretty nice. Near Nanjing Road which is convenient for shopping and food. Step to metro

2. Room Decoration looks beautiful.

3. Food is good and not expensive.

Cons:

Too many people there.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Shaopeng W
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing Le Royal Meridien Shanghai and providing us such a high score regarding your recent stay with us.

We would like to welcome you again should your travels bring you back to our hotel in the near future.

Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights. Everything was good but the language barrier exists a bit in China everywhere. They are not the best people as far as hospitality is concerned.

There sits a man or two just outside the hotel, luring customers for a massage and when you go with him 4-5 people rob you off. Happened with our group, and happens often in Shanghai. Its one out of many organised crimes prevalent in Shanghai. The hotel said they could do nothing for a man standing outside their boundary!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Nikhar M
Dear Reveiwer,

Thank you for sharing your experience with our friends at Tripadvisor.com.

We are happy that your overall stay is good. However, disturbed to hear that someone in your group was harassed on Nanjing Road. Our Guest Safety and Security when staying with us is paramount and we will be sharing your feedback with the local authorities.

We look forward in being of service again.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Le Royal Meridian Hotel

Preparation

I had planned three months ahead and have sorted out the details long before the travel date in late September 2013. The concierge was helpful in replying my emails, even before I made a confirmed reservation. I, must say that the replies usually come within a matter of hours and in acceptable English. Of particular mention were my queries on the exact travel route from Pudong Airport to the hotel. As I am looking for recommendation for Chinese breakfast, they gave me, the options of both in – house and also in the vicinity of the hotel. Finally, they englighten me on the day trip to Suzhou and Hangzhou, with prices of train reservation and possible itinerary.

In making my reservation, they don’t take credit card number through the Internet, but choose to call you direct to obtain the details. I, guess, it is just a matter of security consciousness on their part.

The Path to the hotel.

Well, the suggested track was to take the Maglev for all its worth and then Line 2 to People’s Square, walk through the tunnel, into the Nanjing Road Pedestrian Walkway. Then, it is a right turn into Guizhou Road and the hotel entrance is in sight. I, must say it is easy to follow and the shortest possible time.

The Check – in

The lobby is on the 11th floor and there were ample hotel staff from the concierge that wants to carry your bag and direct you to the check in counter. The check – in administration was fast and you can use the credit card to pay the deposit. Finally, the check in staff personally directs you to the elevator, which was a nice gesture.

I, also note that they are two glass cycliners of light refreshment, one is Grapefruit and the other is Orange. Do note that the Grapefuit by nature is slightly bitter, which I like as the Orange is just too diluted. There is also a presence of moist sealed paper towel, which is a welcome amenity to wipe and refresh the face. I would have prederred a hot towel, like those on the aircraft or in my last hotel in Beijing.

I was also given a free room upgrade.

The Room

The View

Personally, I did not dictate a specific view, but my room faces the People’s Square, which had greenery that suits me. The second possible view is towards the Nanjing Road Pedestrian Walkway. I believe, there is a third view. Overall, I like my given view.

The Bed

Mine was a single king size bed. Very soft and the sheet was clean. When I slept on the bed, I don’t feel that it is that good, simply because, whenever my partner turns, I could feel it. Then, I, felt that the bed shaped, like a bell, meaning, it slopes towards the side, although, there is only a small risk of falling over.

On the headboard, is a contraption, which is a reading light, much like those on the aircraft, and hopefully, you notice it and know, how to use them. I had to ask about it, simple because, there is a switch, but on switching it, I could not find, its application. This reading light is available on both sides of the bed.

There is a pillow each for sleeping and a large pillow for supporting the backs, when viewing the TV. It seems to be a standard stuff in Shanghai, but elsewhere it is usually, another pillow.

Side Table and Lamp

They are one on each side of the bed. But only the right side, there is a glass and a bottle of water. Not sure, why they do that or that only people that sleep on the right side will drink water.

The Table

There is an oval table that faces the floor to ceiling windows. A bit cluttered with a electrical charging station. I am pleased that the have two electrical interface, which means that people like me, which is from Singapore, would not need an adapter. The other electrical interface is the generic one used in China.

Of special interest, is a mobile phone that is plug to the electrical outlet and charging. You can check its details in the photograph. Basically, for a fee of 60 Yuan, you can have unlimited local calls and tourist information. What, a good innovation.

There is also a reading light on the table. I, also appreciate, a card that identifies the tourist landmark as viewed from the room. Then, there was a card for donation to Unicef

Do note a step up to the windows, so as not to trip yourself

The TV

A 46 inch Samsung TV that is up to date and a working remote control. It has in excess of 40 channels that includes BBC, CNN, Discovery, Regional Chinese Channels and also those around the world. Some even have Russian subtitles. Channel News Asia is available for Singaporen people like me.

The Sofa

It is a two seater cotton covered and brown in color. It is 90 degrees to the TV and so, it is too near for comfortable viewing. It comes with two back cushion. Overall, the sofa is comfortable, but a bit small in size and is best used for sitting down interaction.

The Office Chair

You have this swivel chair that you can roll and twist around. Quite basic and generic, but with the carpet flooring, moving around is a bit of a challenge.

The Basin Area

It is external and comes with a large mirror. Lighting is in the form of two hanging lamps and ceiling spot light. The funny part is the gap at the back of the countertop, so don’t cross the line or else, it will drop to the floor. Some cultural style, I presume. Then, there is this three bottle of water. On some days, it can be four. Maybe, the look at the weather. A tissue box is on the left side of the basin area.

The shelf

This is 90 degrees the basin. Your basic stuff or cotton buds, toothbrushes, moisturizer and cotton swab. Nothing upmarket, run of the mill stuff.

The Toilet

A generic flush toilet. For a hotel of this reputation, they should have equip it with washlet and seat warmer for a better experience.

The Bath.

There is a bathtub and a side shower rose. The problem with the shower rose is that the space is small and at a diagonal position. It is probably a lack of space as I cannot see, how it can be rearranged.

To prevent water from seeping to the toilet or the room, they have a marble barrier. Unfortunately, the sealing is not too good and wate did seep into the toilet and with the brown stain, it indicate that something ferrous is used and it is rusting.

The Closet

There are two small ones. One had a contraption that levers the clothes, higher, so that it fits stuff, like gowns or similar attire. Very mindful.

The Hotel in general

Concerige

Manned by a bunch of people, whose English is sufficient to interact with the guest. Very polite and helpful in general. My best memories is with a concerige staff named Roger Lu, who was kind enough, even to walk me to the Pedestrian Mall and also that his local knowledge is good. Anyway, he is a Shanghai native and maybe that helps. Another good concerige staff is Leon Huang.

The Elevator

It puzzled me for a while that, I must always get to the “Lobby Level” and then, change an elevator to the upper floor. I, was later told that the elevator that is beside the tailor goes, all the way up, without a change at the “Lobby Level “. On the other hand, I had never managed to reach the ground floor directly from my room. I will leave it to the next person to find out.

The Side Entrance

I discovered that the side entrance that is beside the tailor is a short cut to the Metro Station. This is useful as the other two exits is over a carpart entrance, each. The reverse applies.

The Danger Door

As mentioned, the elevators at the side of the tailor, goes all the way to the upper floor. There are a few unmarked doors on this alley and one evening, the door swung open and almost hit me. I young lady, presumably a staff was exiting the door. So, be careful and stay clear of suddently opening doors. I, also note that this part of the hotel is not well maintained. It looks gloomy and old and the marble tiles on the walls, has some cracks.

ATM machine

There are two on the ground floor.

Shops

A couple of them on the ground floor, which includes the tailor.

The Free Coffee for Two

Some where in the room with the phamplets, a coupon says that coffee for two at the lobby is free. I took the cappuccino, which comes with a chocolate cookie. They are real good. Unfortunately the freebie is given per stay. So, if you stay a day and another person stay for a month, both will still entitle for one such coupon. To me, it was not too logical, unless you argue that the freebie is for an introductory tasting, otherwise, such coupon should be available for every day of the stay. Alternatively, if you are staying more than a day, maybe make it, every day is a different reservation. Just thinking aloud.

Overall

A fine hotel. The location could not be any better and the staff speaks English and were courteous and helpful. The room is good.

Would I recommend a friend to stay at Le Royal Meridian Hotel – Yes

Would I stay there, myself – Yes

Is it value for money – Yes

Is it suitable for family as well as couples or single – Yes.

Room Tip: Ask for specific view that you like.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank tengkin
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear Reviewer,

What a nice and detailed review! Thank you so much for taking time to share your stay experience on Tripadvisor.com.

We are very delighted to learn that you are satisfied with almost all the aspects of our hotel. It is a great honor that our service, facilities and food have made your trip a memorable one. Your suggestions on some of the aspects are so precious and I have shared with my team for further improvements.

Thank you again for your comments, and we sincerely look forward to being of service again when next trip brings you back to Shanghai!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Located right at one end of Nanjing Street pedestrian mall, its a great location for those who love shopping. It's also right in the heart of Shanghai. The room was spacious and beautifully furnished with a good sized glass desk, sofa, king-sized bed, beautiful bathroom with separate cubicles for the wc & bath& large lcd tv.

The room at around 20+ floor was also quiet. The window faced the building with a huge neon Samsung sign.

The buffet breakfast was a really huge spread with all kinds of food & beverages.

Although was on a tour and stayed only 1 night, can imagine that the desk and chair will be a comfortable place to get some work done for the business traveler.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Dear Reviewer,

It is always great to hear our guests enjoy their stay with us. We are glad to know that you are satisfied with almost all the aspects of our hotel. I would share your comments with my team and look forward to welcoming you again should your travel bring you back to Shanghai!