“Great location but disinterested service”

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai
Ranked #34 of 5,159 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Hotel is very convenient but the staff just don't seem to be all that service oriented. I thought it was one-off and I was unlucky but it seems to be a pattern, for example:

- Gym locker - No one at the spa desk 2 hours before closing. Not the end of the world as these things happen. So I go to the SPG premium desk at the lobby, she calls three numbers, no one answers each time, doesn't apologize and then just suggests I wander round myself and look around the multi-floor spa and gym to find someone myself. Not the end of the world as I can do with an excuse not to work out but I was pretty surprised at how disinterested she was in helping
- Chinese New Year recommendations - It took asking three people for recommendations of how to celebrate Chinese NY. I got a good recommendation of a great area to visit in the end but it's odd to just be told they had no recommendations and didn't think to ask anyone else.
- Directions - The multi-lobbied hotel can be a bit confusing at first with multiple entrances and the like, although I really like hotels with this feature in general. Asking for directions seemed to be an inconvenience rather than help being proactively offered.

There are some real positives too in the facilities:
- Lounge - A well stocked lounge with great views for SPG platinum members
- Location - Super convenient in a shopping area and a pleasant walk to the Bund
- Well appointed rooms - Nice junior suites with great views

The service just lets the place down in my mind. I thought it was a one off but it seems to be a pattern. It may just be that I am staying here on Chinese New Year evening and the staffing is lighter and people aren't in the best of moods not being with their families.

Room Tip: Rooms have great views - ask about which vista they have if you want a particular perspective
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Noesf
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear Noesf,
We greatly appreciate the time you’ve taken to share with us the specifics of your experience at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai. As friendly and helpful service is our top priority, this enables us to take immediate action to ensure that our associates are attending to the needs of each of our guests. As for your most recent experience, we do apologize for the lack of assistance that you received at times, but in the same breath, we are pleased to know that you were able to enjoy our Royal Club Executive Lounge and our convenient, city-center location. We do hope to see you again soon and will do everything we can to ensure that you have a more positive experience!

Have a nice day,

Reviewed 26 January 2014

First of all the location is killer. Second the service is really top notch. I stay here often for work and brought my family for a 5 night stay. Management bent over backwards to make sure we were taken care of in every way: the room, access to Exec Lounge (we are platinum SPG) and any other thing we asked for.

Lots of things to do right from our front door: the shopping is first rate, the only problem is the pushy street sales force asking if you want "massagey" and they touch you, which is taboo for me, they stand in your way and reach out and put their hands on you…and it happens every minute or so, you have to firmly tell them you are not interested (assuming you are not) and they finally leave you alone, but it is very irritating. No way to get away from them.

The prices at this hotel are very reasonable and the breakfast is heavenly. Best omelets in the world for my taste: buttery and light, fluffy. Many types of food: Chinese and Continental, could not ask for better.

Fine gym, wonderful exec lounge with wonderful cheeses, good wine, we rarely go out to eat after visiting the lounge, which saves us money, allowing us to afford bringing the family on a business trip. This perk is so valuable to us that we chose SPG over Marriott for Platinum lounge benefits, particularly in Asia and this hotel is a fine example of how to do it right.

You will not miss picking this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank twodoggzz

Dear twodoggzz,
We really appreciate your wonderful review of Le Royal Méridien Shanghai! It is wonderful to know that you were able to have your family join you during your most recent stay. We sincerely hope they had a memorable experience in Shanghai! We hope to see you again very soon!

Until then,

Reviewed 25 January 2014

A good place to stay in shanghai, food is great, the rooms where a little bit less as expected, with the airco loud and noisy. But the staff was very good and helpfull. If staying in shanghai , it is a good placeto saty for a couple if days when on business

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
9  Thank MarcSlegers

Dear MarcSlegers,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review following your stay at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai. We will be happy to share with our associates that they were very helpful to you during your time with us and we hope to see you again soon when business brings you back to Shanghai!

Have a good day,

Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

I appreciate my stay in Le grand royal meridien but when i check in the front desk manager Mr. Vaness Liu was really unfriendly and didn't not smile at all, when my wife ask him a question, he told her in a arrogant way, "as i all ready told you ". When i ask him about if i get a breakfirst, he answer no breakfirst and no internet, when i walk to the lift i see the add about if you reserve your room on spg.com (i did reserve on spg) you get free internet, i turn back and ask him ? He answer do you reserve on spg and i say yes than he answer let me check in the system, and give me the password for internet. Why could he not inform me before when i check in !!!! Other than Mr Liu, hotel staff are extremely friendly and competente.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Dear Johannoberson,
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us regarding your recent stay at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai. SPG recognition is of utmost importance to us and even more of a priority is for everyone on our team to always be friendly and as helpful as possible! We are very happy to hear that aside from the setback during your check-in that you had an otherwise positive experience with us! Please come see us again soon!

Have a wonderful day,

Reviewed 23 January 2014

We have now stayed at this hotel about 5 times over a few years and it is always good. The staff are helpful, the buffet breakfast is extensive and the rooms are pleasant. We also used the a la carte restaurant on the same floor on the last visit and that is good as well. Really centrally located for the shops too.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear CNettie1,
It is such a pleasure to learn that you’ve had the opportunity to stay with us at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai quite a few times and that your experience has been consistently positive. This is an accomplishment that I look forward to sharing with our team! We do hope to see you again soon!

Until next time,

Reviewed 22 January 2014

This hotel would be one of the best in Shanghai. This was a business trip that I had organised for approx 30 clients - The Hotel was in a great location, rooms were amazing, fantastic view of the City and surrounds. The staff were attentative, friendly and so helpful. Thank you to Eric in Concierge - he couldnt do enough for us he certainly went above and beyond any concierge I have ever dealt with in Australia or overseas. The GM and his direct reports were outstanding - they made a special effort to greet our guests and say good bye on the last day. I highly recommend their Club Lounge, its quite and you can enjoy breakfast or a drink later in the day. The bar is amazing the best views in Shanghai. If you are organising a conference or on holiday I highly recommend this hotel. I enjoyed a massage in their Spa Complex and went back again and again... very relaxing....

Room Tip: Club Access is definately worth it. Their bar has the best view in Shanghai
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear Bijou_8,
When organizing a business trip for so many people, we know all too well all the small details you must attend to, therefore we are very happy to hear that our team was successfully able to take care of you upon arrival so that you could relax and enjoy your experience at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai! We are thrilled to share with our team all your positive comments! We do hope to see you again the next time business brings you to Shanghai!

Have a great day,

Reviewed 18 January 2014

I obsessed over where to stay in Shanghai on business since it's such a large city with so many hotels. I wanted a central location to get to the office, be in an active area in walking distance to shopping and food, have a good room and gym, and be in the price range that the company would pay for. This turned out to be a great place for me in all regards. After I arrived, I checked out all of the other chain and boutique places I thought about staying, and again, this was the right place. I could nitpick on a few items if this was a 5 star resort, but its not. It's just a very good, large business hotel with all of the amenities. It has spacious, clean, well-designed rooms with comfortable beds, big gym with pool and hot tub, steps from the subway, 10min walk to the Bund, shopping and food everywhere, abundant breakfast buffet, and attentive concierge service. I'll return on my next trip.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear PAK1820,
We are more than delighted to hear that Le Royal Méridien Shanghai was able to fulfill most everything you were looking for on your recent trip! On your return to Shanghai, we do hope you’ll have time to enjoy Le Spa and our array of bar and restaurant options throughout the hotel to further your experience with us! We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Have a wonderful day,