Hotel is very convenient but the staff just don't seem to be all that service oriented. I thought it was one-off and I was unlucky but it seems to be a pattern, for example:
- Gym locker - No one at the spa desk 2 hours before closing. Not the end of the world as these things happen. So I go to the SPG premium desk at the lobby, she calls three numbers, no one answers each time, doesn't apologize and then just suggests I wander round myself and look around the multi-floor spa and gym to find someone myself. Not the end of the world as I can do with an excuse not to work out but I was pretty surprised at how disinterested she was in helping
- Chinese New Year recommendations - It took asking three people for recommendations of how to celebrate Chinese NY. I got a good recommendation of a great area to visit in the end but it's odd to just be told they had no recommendations and didn't think to ask anyone else.
- Directions - The multi-lobbied hotel can be a bit confusing at first with multiple entrances and the like, although I really like hotels with this feature in general. Asking for directions seemed to be an inconvenience rather than help being proactively offered.
There are some real positives too in the facilities:
- Lounge - A well stocked lounge with great views for SPG platinum members
- Location - Super convenient in a shopping area and a pleasant walk to the Bund
- Well appointed rooms - Nice junior suites with great views
The service just lets the place down in my mind. I thought it was a one off but it seems to be a pattern. It may just be that I am staying here on Chinese New Year evening and the staffing is lighter and people aren't in the best of moods not being with their families.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stylish and sophisticated with an ultra-modern design, Le Royal Meridien Shanghai is one of Shanghai's tallest landmarks, and its location at the centre of Shanghai on the historic Nanjing Road East, opposite the People's Square and overlooking the Shanghai Museum and Shanghai Grand Theater, puts guests at the heart of one of the world's most exciting cities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Le Royal Meridien Shanghai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Royal Meridien Shanghai Hotel Shanghai
- Meridien Shanghai