“Good hotel but again front desk issue ”

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai
Ranked #37 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

On 25th i arrive at le royal meridien for one night, the front desk was friendly and tell me he would upgrade me to a better room to thank me for my return to the propriety. than he figure out during my reservation on the SPG app i wrongly book for march. He start to explain he could not change my reservation and the hotel was fully book !!! (What append to your super greeting and upgrade 2 min ago do the room disapear !!!!) he give me the business card of the hotel and told me i should contact the reservation department by myself !!! When i call the number is the hotel reception pick up the phone than transfer me to the reservation department!!!, after explaining my problem they told me i can not have the same rate anymore and it would cost me like 300 rmb more !! After asking him to make an effort he surprisely discover a winter packaging it was 200 rmb more but i get breakfast and free internet (no need as i book with spg app), i was late for my next meeting than i accept and go back to the front desk. The same staff was waiting for me and he was again super smiley and told me he would upgrade me to a better and bigger room to make it up to me. He take 10 min to prepare the card credit card etc... Than i told him i get free wifi. Again for the second time in this propriety in less than a month the front desk argue about is not free!!! i told him the reservation center tell me this is include in the winter package and anyway i book with spg app and this give me free internet and the board in the entrance of the lobby mention it. Now is the part who make me mad he turn arround the counter and go to look at the board closer seriously????? You work every day in the reception and you never look the board in front of you ??? Last time i come to Le meridian same think append ??? Do they seriously thinking i am lying?? Maybe some training would help, i check out the next day and move to westin where people don t doubt about my honesty. And i forgot to mention the room was exactly the same size as my last stay in the standart room with better view but on raining day doest not really matter big d��sappointement i come back to shanghai every 2 weeks but i doubt it would be again in le royal meridian if they not change attitude. I agree i Make the mistake and i would accept to pay for it but i Think a better customer service and attitude would be not to much to ask other than just a fake smile and lying about the bigger room !!!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Johannoberson
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Johannoberson,
We are deeply disappointed by the comments you have left us regarding your recent stay at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai and we are appreciative of the time you've taken to provide for us this feedback. We do regret that there was some initial confusion regarding your booking made through our SPG app. We have since spoken with our reception team to discuss your experience specifically as well as the general training that needs to improve, falling in line with some of your comments. It is essential to us that we not only recognize our loyal SPG guests during each of their stays, but also that we exceed their expectations in every way. We are also happy to tell you that as of March 1, wifi is free for all guests in our hotel.
We do hope to see you again upon your return to Shanghai. Please contact us prior to your arrival if there is anything we can do to improve your time with us.

Le Royal Méridien Shanghai​

There are newer reviews for Le Royal Meridien Shanghai

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Spent a fantastic week in this hotel. Great experience enhanced by exceptional staff and delicious food. Modern interior and spacious room. Got the view whole Pudong Area on the window. Good shopping being on the door step of Nanjin Street. Nothing short of Paris of East

Room Tip: Higher floor facing garden side would be the best view
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Nouzab F,

Thank you for such wonderful comments regarding your recent stay with us at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai! I will share your encouraging comments with our associates, most especially our culinary team! We do hope to see you again soon in our beautiful city of Shanghai!

Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Very good location. Down stairs is subway station and lots of taxi available, except perk hours in the morning.

The room meet international 5-star standard and staff offering good service to the guest. The Chinese restaurant in the hotel provides exotic Cantonese cuisine, especially the roast pork is so amazingly delicious.

The only consideration for this hotel is price. If you are looking for good location and best service, no doubt it is for you.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Riverlin,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us such positive feedback from your recent stay at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai! We do pride ourselves on our city center location; in addition, we work very hard with our team to offer the best service at all times. We are so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy Ai Mei, our Chinese restaurant. We will pass on your compliments to the chef! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have stayed in this hotel many times. Due to some changes in my business routine we had been away for close to 3 years. After a nearly 3 year absence we were greeted like old friends by name. I have always found the service and staff here be above average for Shanghai. Far less arrogant than a certain SPG property on the Bund. Breakfast here offers a huge variety. I suggest getting down early as the hotel is changing from a western clientele to an in country client that just does not seem to miss breakfast. The beds are comfortable, rooms clean and I have always enjoyed the fresh scent the hotel pumps into the lobbies. As for location if you are new to Shanghai you will like the access to Nanjing road. Veterans of Shanghai will however stay away from this great opportunity to get your pocket picked or hassled by those trying to sell copy products or company. Frankly speaking there are areas that offer more than Nanjing Road Walking Street in Shanghai. Rooms are beginning to show some wear but are still very pleasant. As much as I do enjoy this hotel I do not need a Nanjing Road location. If you are like me you can find better value elsewhere. However, if Nanjing Walking Street and close access to the Bund are your thing this hotel is a great choice!

• Stayed: February 2014
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear Toddb62,

We are so pleased to see so many positive comments from your most recent stay with us at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai! We will share your gracious remarks with both our reception and culinary teams. We do have a very centralized location that meets the desires of many guests, but of course, we realize this is not always necessary for others. Although this is not a requirement you are seeking, we are grateful nonetheless that you have chosen to continually stay with us. We do look forward to welcoming you back to Shanghai in the very near future!

Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Outstanding quality, food and service. Large well appointed rooms with all amenities. Hotel staff extremely pleasant and willing to go overboard to make your day exceptional. My Shanghai hotel for business travel. See you again in March!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear Paul W,
We are thrilled to receive such positive comments from your recent stay at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai! We will be sure to share your praise with our associates! We look forward to seeing you in March!

Reviewed 7 February 2014

I have stayed at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai previously and everything was fabulous. This recent stay the customer service was less than satisfactory. I had a friend meet me on the ground floor and we were asking for directions and the guy just shrugged and was pretty much rude in his response, my friend even made a remark about this man's facial expressions and body language, which was very unprofessional - this is the front line of the hotel on the ground floor. It was rather disappointing as I like this hotel's accommodations - great bed, great location.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Genaphor
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear Genaphor,
Thank you for expressing your concerns with us regarding your recent stay at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai. Your comments give us the opportunity to rectify this situation to insure that improvements can be made for future guests and for your return to Shanghai. You are correct that our associates on the ground floor are of utmost importance, and we have taken immediate action to speak with our associates concerning this matter. On the other hand, we are always happy to know that our location is convenient for your needs while visiting Shanghai and that our accommodation exceeds your expectations! We do hope to welcome you back to Shanghai in the very near future!

Until then,

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights with my wife and a 4 month old baby.. firstly the location is awesome and that could be an understatement. Secondly, I loved the hotel breakfast, it was awesome, had a lot of variety to offer and the food was delightful. The rooms were quite clean, well maintained and mine had a nice view of the Bund. Excellent bathroom with a nice bathtub and perfect after a long day's travel. I especially liked the staff who were helpful, polite and anticipated your requirement. The room service was overpriced so we didnt really order anything from there, but the restaurants in and around this hotel are pretty good. We did pay good money for the rooms, but i would say overall the experience was great and we will definitely stay there if we visit Shanghai again...

Room Tip: 3320 is a good room, with a decent view and quite close to the elevator!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear Pulak J,
We greatly appreciate your comments concerning your recent stay with us at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai! It is wonderful to know that our location was convenient for you and your family during your time in Shanghai. Even more importantly, we are always happy to hear that the rooms, your breakfast experience, and our associates all exceeded your expectations! We do hope to welcome you back to Shanghai in the very near future!