“Royal Stay with Awesome view of Shanghai”

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai
Ranked #34 of 5,031 Hotels in Shanghai
Singapore, Singapore
“Royal Stay with Awesome view of Shanghai”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I booked the club room but was upgraded to a suite on the 62th floor. The room has a 270 degree view of Shanghai. The Pearl Orient and Pudong area can be viewed while having a hot bath in the bathtub.
The bed was huge and there was almost nothing to complain about except the pillows, it was either too hard or too thin. I had to ask for a pillow with a suitable size. The other thing is that if you walk down the hotel towards Nanjing Road, AND if you are a MAN, then there will be tons of people asking you if you need massage and a woman. Ignore those people like a plague, they will follow you for awhile and lose interest if you don't talk to them!

Other than those superficial complaint, the rooms were awesome, the club lounge is great, location is fantastic and view is amazing.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Alvin_Liu
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Alvin_Liu,
We are grateful to receive such wonderful feedback after your stay at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai. Thank you for taking the time to let us know just how much you enjoyed various aspects of your room, the view, and the overall experience! Our central location and incredible views are two aspects of our hotel of which we are very proud, so it is always wonderful to hear just how much our guests enjoy these aspects as well. We will pass on your positive feedback to our team in the Royal Club lounge. Travel safe and we hope to welcome you back to Shanghai in the near future!

Have a great day,
Le Royal Méridien Shanghai

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

Great hotel on Nanjing Road right on a pedestrian mall. Check in is on the 11th? floor but was easy with good english spoken.
Le Bistro was expensive but there are plenty of other places to eat.

Room, bed and bathroom were excellent.
There are a lot of stores on the mall - all the top brands are available.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mal_chaney
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear mal_chaney,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review following your recent stay at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai. We are especially proud of our city center location, just next to the famous Nanjing Road pedestrian street and we are happy to hear that this aspect was of a great benefit to you! When you visit us next time in Shanghai, we hope you have the time to try any of our other dining options in the hotel, we have French, Italian, and a Chinese option, all of which are spectacular in their respectful cuisines. Travel safe and we hope to welcome you back to Shanghai very soon!

Until next time,
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I've been staying in this hotel every month since last year and I must say the service standards have been dropping with each visit... Case in point my current visit where I'm staying for 7 nights, I'm a SPG Platinum member and when I called (the day before check-in) to request for upgrade to my desired suite, the reservation person Jerry said it was available and will help me ensure I get it. To my disappointment, upon check-in I found out the request did not go through for some odd communication reason and instead I have been downgraded to a "Junior Suite" which in my opinion is nothing more than a slightly bigger version of a Deluxe room! Seriously what kind of a suite is only 48sqm??!! Who are you trying to kid? The front reception were indifferent to my request and said this is the best they could do... when I asked for the Director of Rooms to contact me the next morning, I had no reply until I had to chase them. In the end, no senior person called me up, all I got were these junior staff who laughed at my issue and my problem remains This terrible guest experience has made me rethink why should I still be so loyal to this hotel every month when I have so many better (and newer!) hotels to choose from in Shanghai. Not only are the rooms aging, beds too soft and carpets stained to a very disgusting grimmy state, the staff here are completely lacking in empathy and simply do not know how to make loyal hotel guest feel at home and welcomed. I'm still waiting for the GM or Director of rooms to contact me... My expectations of 5 star hotel in China are always low and cannot compare with international standards, but this experience has just fallen way below my minimum service expectations.

Jeffrey Tan
Room 5006

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Berlinist
Dear Berlinist,
We very much appreciate you taking the time to leave these very important comments regarding your most recent time with us at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai. We take all feedback very seriously as it is the voice of our guests that enable us to pinpoint areas of improvement and to work toward a solution. It is of utmost importance to us that we go out of our way to exceed the expectations of our most loyal SPG members. We have spoken with our associates to find out more about this instance and to implement solutions to avoid these small miscommunications from continuing in the future. A small miscommunication on our part led to a drastic difference in your overall experience, and for this we apologize. We hope that you’ll give us the opportunity to welcome you back to Shanghai again in an attempt to exceed your expectations for your stays in China. We encourage you to reach out to our team or myself upon your arrival so that we can prepare your stay for you in advance. Feel free to contact me by email at Daniel.aylmer@lemeridien.com .

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Use the hotel on my business trips- but would stay it for private as well. huge hotel- like the rooms smart decor- love the beds- super bedlinnen- fluffy towels- just great- cafe press in room- very clever- as i love my moring coffee in the room ( never make it to the absolutely amazing breakfast buffet as i am bit lazy in the morning)

SPA is superb- a bit expensive as you can gt a super foot massage for 1/3 of the price 100 m from the hotel- but still - SPA is fab!

Great staff at reception, always nice pick up cars from airport- smooth and nice to get to and from hotel. Easy to walk everywhere, perfect location for business - overall i just like the hotel- will always stay there when in Shanghai. and a small but cool detail - there is a scent in the hotel - a vey subtle but lovely.

Room Tip: Top floors
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Asakatrin,
We are honored that you choose to stay with us during your business trips to Shanghai. It is a top priority at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai to insure we offer you a comfortable stay on all aspects, the bed, the linens, the atmosphere, the spa, and most definitely our subtle scent! We are happy to hear your praises on all of these aspects! We hope to see you again very soon, whether for business or leisure!

Travel safe,
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We were given a nice room in the 32 nd floor, nice enough but worn out (esp. the bathroom and the shower). Towels were clean, some were white and newer some gray and older. It had a comfy bed and nice clean sheets but my husband found the bed too soft and pillows too thin, so couldn't sleep very well.

The sauna was good but looked old and too dark, the water provided to steam it up smelt heavily like chlorine. Steam room was unbearably hot, hotter than anyone I ve been to, so couldn't stay more than 2 mins. Hot steam hits your feet, then your body and makes you burn.

The pool is relatively small, and has black stains in the corners so didn't get it. Small hot pool next to is was just warm, not hot. The bathrooms and showers all need to be cleaned and maintained because it is rusty in all corners, just like in the rooms.

Breakfast was good as you could find many more kinds of cheese than any other 5 star hotels we stayed in Shanghai. Tea and coffee service was good too as they give you in pots. Fruit, salad, many kinds of pastry and cornflakes (and some simple sushi and Chinese food corner) were available but they had only one type of Chinese yogurt and apple juice was cheap and watery. Cappuccino was ok, and they had nice little jars of jam and Nutella, which was nice.

Overall, we got a good deal and wanted to try it, but if it wasn't for the central and convenient location, I'd prefer 10 mins away hotels that look much cleaner and nicer for the same or lower price.

Room Tip: Ask for a good view to Peoples square.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IndependentTtraveler
Dear IndependentTtraveler,
We very much appreciate the time you’ve taken to leave us some feedback regarding your recent stay at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai. Your comments regarding the sauna, swimming pool, and bathroom areas are well received. We will have our fitness center team address this immediately. Our associates working in the breakfast period are very hardworking and will be happy to hear your gracious feedback! We do hope to welcome you back to Shanghai in the near future!

Have a great day,
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

I have been staying at this hotel since 2008. Haven't been back for a while and I returned for one night stay and it's really good!

No fuss, I had a junior suite, which is more than adequate for 1 person, and with access to the executive lounge on 44th floor, it was nice to see Emily there and a few other familiar faces. And they do remember my name, and the service standards and attention to detail is fantastic!

I used the gym three times during my 1 night stay and brand new treadmills and a lot of new equipments, really liked the upgrade!

I must say the room is very comfortable, and I travel extensively to the States, London, Paris and..., this decor and general maintenance of the rooms are world class.

Will be back soon!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear ECEJon,
We are so pleased to receive such praises from your recent stay with us at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai! We will pass on your compliments to Emelie and her team in Le Royal Club Lounge. We’ve recently invested in our fitness center for guests just like you, so healthy and active! Travel safe and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Have a wonderful day,
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My partner and Recently booked a celebration dinner at the Allure French Restaurant at the Le Royal Meridien Shanghai. The food was excellent and the staff made the whole evening a fabulous experience. This was the first time that we had been to a restaurant serving French cuisine in China, but we were not disappointed! The standard of service at SPG Hotels generally is good, I've been an SPG member now for 5 years and visited many restaurants and Hotels within the group. I would thoroughly recommend this restaurant to all my friends - A special thanks to the staff and to Kate the Manager for making this a birthday celebration to remember!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Steve D,
Your praises of Allure are much appreciated and we will most certainly pass them on to Kate, Allure’s restaurant manager! She will be delighted to hear that she and her team were able to provide for you a memorable birthday celebration. We sincerely hope that your next stay will warrant you enough time to enjoy once more all that Allure has to offer!

Until next time,