“excellen”

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai
Ranked #36 of 5,206 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I living in this luxury hotel more and les 2 week for month, service, bed room, shower, breakfast is excellent. Bar on 62 floor is one dream..Window in breakfast room is wounderful.. best feeling best shanghai hotel ..wow

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear StefanoPolastri,
We are extremely grateful for the positive feedback you have left with us! The 360º view offered by 789 Nanjing Lu Bar + Lounge is one of our favorite spots in the hotel, we are happy that you’ve had the time to enjoy this as well! We look forward to your quick return! Travel safe!

Until next time,
Le Royal Méridien Shanghai

Write a ReviewReviews (2,832)

Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

the shape of the building looks very interesting in the night, the guest room facing to the bund is really nice, chinese restaurant on the 8th floor is good and food taste perfect. the service there is nice.

• Stayed: January 2014

Dear jessicatm,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review following your stay at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai. We also very much enjoy the view of our building from afar at night with all the lights of Shanghai! It is great that you had the chance to experience Ai Mei, our Chinese restaurant. We will pass on your praises to our team! We hope to see you again very soon in Shanghai!

Reviewed 25 March 2014

The hotel is very well positioned for seeing the sights of shanghai.
The breakfasts were ok but not a huge choice of European fare .
The staff were very helpful especially Nicolas whom I found to be caring and empathetic to the needs of the guests.
Wish I could say the same about the head of security Kevin but alas I cannot. He did not want to get involved with the problems of the guests which makes me wonder why he was doing the job.

Room Tip: Higher the better as the views are spectacular
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for leaving your review on Tripadvisor.com and for sharing your experience with our friends.
It is disappointing to know that our service was not able to meet your expectation during your stay. Your feedback is very important for us to make further improvements. I have already shared your feedback with the entire security team to make sure that we are working on it.
We hope this will not discourage you to stay with us again in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back and to providing you with a memorable stay.

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai

Reviewed 22 March 2014

The breakfast on the lobby level is a great start to the day and perfectly suitable for business breakfasts. Loved the bar at the top of the hotel as well. For me the bed was just perfect - very good sleep - and while the layout of the shower was a little unconventional I loved the big wide rainwater showerhead. My room was perfectly fine, nothing outstanding, but I just had a normal room on a reasonably low level. I would probably book a club room if I was going back. Service was OK, but more functional than outstanding. I felt a little more focus was placed on efficiency than on providing great service. Location is great - easy walk down the pedestrian mall to the Bund. Just be careful and watch out for all sorts of people approaching you with all sorts of propositions if you do it late in the evening, especially if you are on your own. I never felt threatened, more yearning to be inconspicuous!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Richard L,
We are so pleased to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai! Although every room we have provides an outstanding view of our beautiful city and everything you need to stay comfortably, our Royal Club upgrade offer rooms on higher levels to further improve your view of the city and of course access to our Royal Club lounge. This is an experience to not be missed! Our central location is something of which we are very proud and we are always happy to learn when our guests have enough leisure time to explore the famous landmarks surrounding us! We hope to see you back in Shanghai in the very near future!

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Starting on positives, the location of the hotel is brilliant - close to People Square and the fake market.

However, the service provided by the staff is a shambles. In such a well known hotel chain, you would expect the staff to be highly trained and speak a basic level of English.

However, the staff were clueless. Prior to checking in we specifically requested a non-smoking room. We were given a smoking room and when complaining at the front desk I was met with a woman who kept repeating to me 'you smoke'. No, I don't. On another occasion, I asked for a menu in the hotel restaurant. The waiter then proceeded to give me the bill. Frustratingly, I also asked in the business centre for a telephone, the lady thought I asked for a 'friend'.

The front desk staff were rude, didn't care to help and made it seem as if our presence was a nuisance to them. They couldn't even give basic left/right directions.

All in all I found the hotel staff to put a serious dampener on my stay in Shanghai. The only helpful staff were those by the taxi rank, and once I had worked this out I stopped 'bothering' the front desk staff.

Would I stay in Le Royal Meridian Shanghai again? Not in a million years.

Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank tigor82

Dear Reviewer,

We greatly appreciate the time you’ve taken to share with us the specifics of your experience at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai. As friendly and helpful service is our top priority, this enables us to take immediate action to ensure that our associates are attending to the needs of each of our guests. As for your most recent experience, we do apologize for the lack of assistance that you received at times. We do hope to see you again soon and will do everything we can to ensure that you have a more positive experience!

Have a nice day,

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Stayed at the Le Royal Meridien on a two-day trip to Shanghai. If you're coming off the metro at the People's Square Station, it's located a few blocks away, and (especially at night) the entrance is hard to locate--I ended up going into the mall to find the elevator up to the main lobby. The next morning, I saw the more convenient ground floor entrance/porte cochère around the corner on the other side of the hotel.

The main lobby is elegant and modern, akin to a hotel you might find in Paris. Check-in and check-out process was efficient as well, front desk personnel were gracious, and communication was clear and friendly. The rooms were very modern, and my room had a view looking down Nanjing Road East to the Bund and at the Pudong skyline. At night, it was a neon-filled light show. The bathroom was modern as well, but the shower/bathtub combo (was a bit odd) and was in a separate, small room with glass that afforded a view out the window of your room. Heavenly bed was as comfortable as always.

My rate included the breakfast buffet, and oh what a breakfast buffet it was. It featured a variety of Chinese and western dishes, cold stations, hot food stations, juices, pastries, fruits, etc. Service was brisk (and somewhat detached, as is typical at most places in China) and efficient.

Location-wise, it was well-situated a block from Nanjing Road East. It was a brisk 10-minute walk down to the Bund. As a tip, if you're a foreigner, walk down Nanjing Road East to see it once or twice, but then use the parallel road (I can't remember its name) for all future strolls. Nanjing Road is filled with women reaching out to grab your arm asking if you want a "massage" or some company, and men approaching you asking if you want a pretty woman, drugs or knock-off goods. The parallel road has its share of solicitors as well, but it's definitely not as bad as Nanjing Road was.

All in all, Le Meridien Royal was a very good hotel with high levels of service, modern rooms and a good location. I would stay here again next time I am in Shanghai.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Nanjing Road, the Bund and Pudong. It's an eye-filling, colorful...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Dear McMax,
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a thorough review of your stay with us at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai. We are pleased to know you enjoyed your room with a view of the Pudong skyline as this spectacular view is one element of which we are very proud! We will pass on your praises to our culinary team regarding the breakfast buffet as this is something they work diligently on to ensure there is something on offer for all of our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to Shanghai during your next visit!

Travel safe,

Reviewed 19 March 2014

I booked the club room but was upgraded to a suite on the 62th floor. The room has a 270 degree view of Shanghai. The Pearl Orient and Pudong area can be viewed while having a hot bath in the bathtub.
The bed was huge and there was almost nothing to complain about except the pillows, it was either too hard or too thin. I had to ask for a pillow with a suitable size. The other thing is that if you walk down the hotel towards Nanjing Road, AND if you are a MAN, then there will be tons of people asking you if you need massage and a woman. Ignore those people like a plague, they will follow you for awhile and lose interest if you don't talk to them!

Other than those superficial complaint, the rooms were awesome, the club lounge is great, location is fantastic and view is amazing.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Alvin_Liu

Dear Alvin_Liu,
We are grateful to receive such wonderful feedback after your stay at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai. Thank you for taking the time to let us know just how much you enjoyed various aspects of your room, the view, and the overall experience! Our central location and incredible views are two aspects of our hotel of which we are very proud, so it is always wonderful to hear just how much our guests enjoy these aspects as well. We will pass on your positive feedback to our team in the Royal Club lounge. Travel safe and we hope to welcome you back to Shanghai in the near future!