“Good Rooms, Fantastic Location, Really Fun Brunch”

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai
Ranked #36 of 5,111 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The rooms at this hotel are nice but not super upscale however when booking I think location is the prime consideration and this one had a great location. You're really right in the center of the action. East Nanjing road starts outside the door and it's always bustling, it's about a 12 min. walk to the Bund and peoples square station can get you anywhere quickly. It's the tallest hotel on the Puxi side of the river and there is a bar on the 65th floor that does have great views (smoking section has Pudong view). Also, if you're there on a Sunday and you're willing to splurge the Sunday brunch is very good and very fun. The brunch has unlimited champagne and lots of high end foods like oysters, lobsters, foie gras and a whole slew of other stuff. It has a theme and with that theme comes some colorful characters such as a woman rolling around inside an inflatable ball, and some women dressed as nurses that give men syringe shots of bloody mary, expensive but I'd do it again in a heart beat.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Whitney35, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear jrs576,
We are happy to hear from you following your recent stay at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai! Our location is extremely central and it is always wonderful to learn that this is an advantage to our guests, both leisure and business alike. Our Sunday Brunch, La Vie en Rose, is one element of which we are most proud! It was wonderful that you had the time to join us for this unique experience! We hope to see you again very soon!

There are newer reviews for Le Royal Meridien Shanghai

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I stayed here when I first came to Shanghai in the summer of 2013. The service was incredible and the location is in the center of everything in Shanghai. The breakfast buffet has a very, very large number of choices. If you stay in one of the higher floors you get some really great views of the city. I was very impressed with the overall quality.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Dear Matthew R,
We are so happy to hear such wonderful reviews following your recent stay with us at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai! It is always great to receive feedback that we can pass on to all our hardworking associates. We hope to see you again in Shanghai very soon!

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I read reviews that service in this hotel is below expectations of an SPG hotel- I simply shrugged off those comments as guests not understanding the language or culture. But I was proven wrong.

1. Front desk staff do not accord recognition to SPG Platinum. In fact, I had queued at the SPG Platinum queue and all the times, guests queuing in the normal queue were served first and even though they came much later than me.

2. Why I had to queue at the front desks a few times? Because the key cards failed to work, not once but twice. Not one card but 2 cards - and the front desk staff had the cheek to tell me that it was because. I had my mobile phone too close to the key card. The same key card issue also happened to the guest next to my room - and also twice.

3. Breakfast at lobby area closed precisely at 1030am, in fact 2 minutes before 1030am on one occasion. And the reception just simple refuse to let me in although I told here I will be quick.

4. Evening cocktails at Club Floor were often not replenished - it is simply embarrassing to open the covers of the trays to find them empty, not one but almost all.
Is this Shanghai culture not to provide good service - No. I had stayed at lesser known hotels with multiple times better.

5. Pillows are very soft. if you like soft pillows, that's great. however, I need better support for my neck and asked for firmer pillows - 2 new pillows were delivered to the room but they were not much help as they were only slight firmer.

Room Tip: If you want a central location with good access to the subway lines - this would be a good choice bu...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Merpati88

Dear Merp,
We greatly appreciate the feedback you’ve provided for us following your recent stay at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai. All comments are constructive for our team! Our loyal SPG members are of utmost importance to us and it is essential that all our associates recognize SPG members and provide for them the deserved benefits. We apologize for your experience at the front desk. Please rest assured that we have communicated this feedback with our reception team and that we are doing everything we can to prevent this lack of recognition in the future. It is true that our breakfast ends at 10:30AM and this punctuality stems from our need to both clean the breakfast areas thoroughly while also preparing the lunch buffet which begins at 12:00PM. Nonetheless, our team could have explained this to you while also helping you find a solution for you to have some breakfast. We have shared all the comments you’ve left with us with our respective teams around the hotel and we are working to better train our associates so they are prepared to handle any small situation that might arise with our guests. The time that you’ve taken to share these experiences with us greatly aides us in identifying the areas in which we need to continue to work. So again, we thank you! We do hope to see you again in Shanghai very soon!

Have a wonderful day,

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I have stayed in this hotel many times over the last few years. I stay there now often.

It is an amazing Exec lounge. In my complaints to Marriott (lifetime elite platinum member) I have used this hotel as an example of "how to do it right".

The front desk is always amply staffed, (different than many other hotels), is EAGER to upgrade to suites and treats us like returning family.

The rooms are good, would be excellent but I don't like the big huge pillows, would like more small ones instead….but I should ask, I know that they would accommodate me pronto.

Ben Zahn (Hotel Manager) has introduced himself (along with Ashley, Food & Bev manager) and when in need, he arranged to have my passport/visa shipped personally to him. So he could make sure it was forwarded to me. Amazing Service indeed. I could go on and on but this is a very fine hotel and the best SPG day in /day out that I stay in.

Additionally, when my bags were stranded at the airport because of a schedule change, Ben offered his concierge service to me, who promptly offered to go to the airport, pick up the bags and store them for me until my return? Amazing service.

This is the best service and most complete package I have found at any hotel change. Their Exec Lounge is beyond compare. My home away from home.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear harry c,
It is so wonderful to hear such positive feedback from your numerous experiences with us at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai. We are extremely proud to have both Ben and Ashley on our team and we will most definitely share your comments and praises with them! Be sure to let us know what we can do in the future to make your stay more comfortable, even if it’s simply to ask for smaller pillows! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Travel safe,

Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

The le royal meridien is ideally located and is a really lovely hotel. Rooms are great and breakfast variety is huge. However I should say that the bathroom area isn't that nice.it is more like a 3 and half star. Besides that everything was great under all categories.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Moey V,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback following your stay at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai. We are pleased to know that our city center location was of convenience to you! We will share your praises for our breakfast selection in Le Bistrot with our culinary team! We look forward to welcoming you back to Shanghai soon!

Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights here, was impressed with the hotel, lovely lanterns and candles lit in the lobby areas in the evening which gave a nice feel. Room was good, we were on the 45th floor so had fab views of the city from the floor to ceiling windows. We ate at the Chinese restaurant which was good food, reasonable as well, the lady with the shirt hair in back suit spoke excellent English in the restaurant. The hotel bar on 65th floor is worth a visit you can have a view of the city.

On checking in we learned our room had no breakfast, breakfast at the hotel is250RMBpp which is very expensive, if you sign up for the free SPG membership then you get a 15% discount which still makes it expensive. We decided to have the room service breakfasts, there was a good menu in the room and it worked out very reasonable. However, on each of the three mornings we ordered it it either came wrong it there were two or three items missing, on ringing the room service people it turned into an argument of what was supposed to be on the plate- by the time the other items (which should have arrive anyway) arrived my breakfast was either cold it or I had eaten it. To say this is a 5 star hotel we were really disappointed by the room service experience!!! We were never once given an apology!!

Hotel is in good location, on reason previous reviews about prostitutes near the hotel we found it to be very well secured and the area did not feel seedy as we had envisaged. It's worth visiting the French concession area - Xintiandi on lunchtime or evening it has a great atmosphere better than on Nanjing road. 15 min walk to the bund from hotel which was great. Watch out for friendly Chinese people around gardens and the bund, they are part of the 'Shanghai tea house scam ' - Google it- we nearly got sucked in- would be worth the hotel warning tourists about this. Also would har liked to have seen a concierge desk near lobby as it was hard to ask for advice at reception as it was always very busy with people checking in and out.

Also there is only free internet if you sign up for free SPG membership - why don't you just offer free wifi anyway if te membership is free??!

Would recommend hotel for people visiting for Shanghai for a few days as location is great. Taxi to airport was 190RMB and easy to get outside of the hotel. The lifts are initially confusing but but not off putting as once you know how it works it's easy.

1  Thank Sal265
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Sal265,

We greatly appreciate the time you’ve taken to share with us your concerns. For our guests, we always strive to go above and beyond, however my apologies that your recent stay at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai did not meet your expectations. I have shared your feedback with my team and will make sure this won’t happen again in future. Thansk you for the precious comments and suggestions. We do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future at which point we can show our appreciation for the loyalty that you show us! Pls contact me directly via daniel.aylmer@lemeridien.com when you come back to Shanghai next time so that I can make sure your next stay with us will be a seamless experience.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stayed here earlier this year and during a recent visit to Shanghai mistakenly decided to try another hotel in the same area. The staff in this hotel were truly wonderful and went out of their way to take care of us. Whilst the hotel is not the newest hotel in Shanghai, it is by far one of the best.
Ask for a high floor overlooking the bund and pudong, worth the extra money and boy what a gym, one of the best I have seen in the many years of travelling.

thank you Meridien and see you next month when I return to Shanghai

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor overlooking Pudong and the Bund
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Philip K,

Thank you for such positive feedback following your stay with us at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai! We are happy to learn that our central location was of convenience to you during your stay and are very pleased to learn that you had time to enjoy our facilities and service. Thank you again, and we hope to see you again soon!

Have a wonderful day,